Are cyclists colourblind?

Butterbean

Because clearly you can't stop at ******* red robots! Gees like it! We read about all the damn cyclists knocked down every day, but you won't bother to keep the rules?

Sure, I get it... You don't want to stop riding... It's *** having to shift down and back up and pull off and it interrupts your rythym. But what do you think goes through the mind of the patiently waiting motorist when you fly past them on the left through a red? Doesn't matter that you know there won't be cars there. FU*KING STOP! you ruin our reputation for everyone!

And don't you MTB boys say "damn roadies again". You're just as bad when you're on the tar. Actually, what he he'll are you doing on the tar in the first place? Didn't you buy an off road bike to go off the road?

Rant done for the morning. Thanks to all the click heads out there around modderfontein and Sandringham, bedfordview and isando who didn't give a sh*t about anyone's safety. You crotchpheasants.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbup: you make a good point.

Needs to be reminded to everyone on an ongoing basis.

We are quick to forget that we all have to abide by the rules of the road. If we ignore red lights, we are no better than the people who skips red lights in cars and we all b1tch about

Still befuddles me how someone can get livid because another individual, who happens to also enjoy cycling, chooses to jump red lights.

And then the link to cyclists being taken out and 'jumping red lights'.

Still befuddles me how someone can get livid because another individual, who happens to also enjoy cycling, chooses to jump red lights.

And then the link to cyclists being taken out and 'jumping red lights'.

Because the problem is the attitude shown by these individuals is the exact attitude that causes motorists to be intolerant.

When you go through a red robot while cars are watching, they take note. And they complain to friends. And they point it out to their kids. And it breeds disgust.

Now me, as a law abiding cyclist, gets the same reputation as those asshats. Which then gets me killed. IF WE WANT TO BE TREATED LIKE VEHICLES, WE NEED TO ACT LIKE THEM!

This isn't an attitude that we can just allow. Because it hurts everyone.

Because the problem is the attitude shown by these individuals is the exact attitude that causes motorists to be intolerant.

When you go through a red robot while cars are watching, they take note. And they complain to friends. And they point it out to their kids. And it breeds disgust.

Now me, as a law abiding cyclist, gets the same reputation as those asshats. Which then gets me killed. IF WE WANT TO BE TREATED LIKE VEHICLES, WE NEED TO ACT LIKE THEM!

This isn't an attitude that we can just allow. Because it hurts everyone.

I agree with you completely. Cyclist should abide by the rules of the road as much as anyone else. Even if it's just to be safe, never mind the reputation we create. Having said that, if cyclist are to be treated as vehicles (which bikes are classified as on the road) it is illegal for us to ride in yellow lines. We are obligated to ride in the lanes. But we don't. because we're considerate towards cars. Yet they still don't give a f*** about us.

I think as a protest we should all ride in the middle of the road from now on! (I'm not serious, so don't do it)

Yes bud, generalise your heart out, has it ever crossed your mind to start a thread and mention how glad you were to see (the) so many cyclists that obey the rules, stop at red light and ride single-filed?? No, coz your approach is media like, bring out the worst, show the ugly, proclaim how stuffed up this world is. If you were really concerned about your point, you should have the guts to go to the party involved and in a caring manner tell him/her fault and why such behaviour is not constructive to society, I promise you 99% of the time your approach will make a difference, but right here right now all you are doing is pointed out and sit back waiting for things to change.

Change starts with you sir, and me.

I agree with you completely. Cyclist should abide by the rules of the road as much as anyone else. Even if it's just to be safe, never mind the reputation we create. Having said that, if cyclist are to be treated as vehicles (which bikes are classified as on the road) it is illegal for us to ride in yellow lines. We are obligated to ride in the lanes. But we don't. because we're considerate towards cars. Yet they still don't give a f*** about us.

I think as a protest we should all ride in the middle of the road from now on! (I'm not serious, so don't do it)

For sure. We should also use hand signals and pass other vehicles on the right, and only when safe to do so...

Unfortunately a lot of tools ruin my favourite sport and put me at risk with their behaviour... I guess I've calmed down a tad now but mighty annoying to witness...

Yes bud, generalise your heart out, has it ever crossed your mind to start a thread and mention how glad you were to see (the) so many cyclists that obey the rules, stop at red light and ride single-filed?? No, coz your approach is media like, bring out the worst, show the ugly, proclaim how stuffed up this world is. If you were really concerned about your point, you should have the guts to go to the party involved and in a caring manner tell him/her fault and why such behaviour is not constructive to society, I promise you 99% of the time your approach will make a difference, but right here right now all you are doing is pointed out and sit back waiting for things to change.

Change starts with you sir, and me.

They were informed of their misdeeds when they were in a close enough range to hear.

Of course, no one likes being told they were naughty, so it's either met wih a finger, or they carry on as if they didn't hear.

Don't accuse me of not trying to help. I try as much as possible and this is a frustrated reminder. Your post will simply aid each one of the offenders to feel justified or excused in their actions.

But hey, this is the Internet where you can be a complete tool and not face any consequences. So I hope your post will not dilute the intent of this thread.

And the generalisation? This is exactly how motorists feel about an issue. That's why it was conveyed as such...

They were informed of their misdeeds when they were in a close enough range to hear.

Of course, no one likes being told they were naughty, so it's either met wih a finger, or they carry on as if they didn't hear.

Don't accuse me of not trying to help. I try as much as possible and this is a frustrated reminder. Your post will simply aid each one of the offenders to feel justified or excused in their actions.

But hey, this is the Internet where you can be a complete tool and not face any consequences. So I hope your post will not dilute the intent of this thread.

And the generalisation? This is exactly how motorists feel about an issue. That's why it was conveyed as such...

What did you do to inform them of their misdeeds? Throw stones or build a bridge? By their response I am convinced you just climbed verbally into them. Error. Try the love sandwich approach, 1) build the bridge, earn trust/respect, a relationship is established. 2) the meat, what you guys think of all the cycling deaths et etc, don't you guys think us (not you) but us cyclists should be more responsible out there obeying rules etc, controlled conversation. 3)final slice, hope you guys have a great ride and we must maybe hook up sometime for a ride.

The point was made, brought across, and the response channeled in a humane manner. A little bit of humilty and effort but with a great response.

Right?

Edited by BFScott

I nearly got taken out by a car this morning. Waiting at the traffic light, knowing there is a filter which should allow me to turn right safely. I did kind of expect the taxi in the oncoming lane to jump the red, not the black lady in her SUV. She did get a few choice words flung at her through the open window. The most response I received was a well-practiced shrug.

Looks like its not only the cyclists who are colourblind

I am colourblind, but even I know the top light means stop :thumbup: .

Please don't paint all of us with the same brush. It's bad enough we have to deal with our "disability". Just the other day I got k@kked out by my 5 year old cos I got the colours wrong.

Ill probably get shot down for this...but here goes....wearing the PPA 1,5m yellow shirt should be compulsory for everyone as it teaches cyclists to obey the rules of the road....meaning that motorists by en large do become much more tolerant and aware of us out there.

Ive been wearing it for a couple of months and it reminds me that I must stop at traffic lights etc and be courteous and obey the rules (irritating as it is!!), as after all Im wearing a bright message of safety.

The result has been, by en large, very considerate drivers giving me space etc with gestures of thanks from both.

Taken that not every motorist will show the same respect but at least we are "policing" ourselves aswell as reducing the potential risk..

Slightly off the topic....but safety related.

Edited by play fair