27.5" vs 29"

KleinLenise

grappeling with same question, thing is at 1.67m tall will need small frame and many says on 29er they dont work out so well, something about the pedal positioning etc, so now i am still on 26er and wait for this whole thing to play out.., but if there are any non trollers who can add value to the debate ould be keen to hear

Don't listen to the haters... 29ers do work in small.

I have quite a few.

I have a 650b with gears and I must say that it is fun. I do however ride all my bikes with rigid forks and I definitely have to work harder in the arms on the 650b on the technical stuff.

Honestly though, riding is riding and there is no right or wrong answer.

Trial and experience says what feels great for Suzie feels Rubbish for Mark. See if you can borrow one of each and do the same ride to compare.

Go from there

Asking this question is like asking a HUGE group of people, 'what is better, jelly or custard?'

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have quite a few.

I have a 650b with gears and I must say that it is fun. I do however ride all my bikes with rigid forks and I definitely have to work harder in the arms on the 650b on the technical stuff.

Trial and experience says what feels great for Suzie feels Rubbish for Mark. See if you can borrow one of each and do the same ride to compare.

Go from there

Asking this question is like asking a HUGE group of people, 'what is better, jelly or custard?'

Oh please .... custard!

I have quite a few.

Go from there

Custard is the answer

Also what is said above in bold is your answer!

Personally I hope all 3 formats stay.

The upside is choice - the downside is that keeping all 3 will probably push up the price of all 3 (more jigs, more moulds, more setting up time, more capital etc).

Personally I love choice - if I had my way I would replace 650B with 650A which is "more in the middle" but I guess the marketing guys won that fight and the money has already been spent. Missed opportunity.

My advice would be:

Start with how tall are you? 26 for short, 650b for not so short and 29 for tall. This is a rough guide only. Because the 26 and 650B are so close the small, medium, large rule doesn't apply.

Add in what terrain you'll ride.

Your riding style.

Your current tech skill level - your desired tech skill level.

Tyre availability (is your favourite tyre available in the wheel size you want?)

Bike availability (is the bike you want available in all 3 sizes)

How weight weenie are you?

Price - is the bike cheaper in a different wheel size (last years model etc)

Passion - which wheel size speaks to you?

Add a weighting to each of the details above and you should end up with the right wheel size for you.

Toss the "which wheels size is better" argument out the window and start with "which wheel size is best for ME".

I feel this is a very good way to look at it, TREAD also did a good article in the latest mag and mentioned that for enduro/technical stuff consider a 650B and rather consider a 29er for marathons and stage races, From what I have seen a fair amount of marathon races in S.A consist allot of jeep track and relatively easy single track, with a small amount of technical, I believe this is different from Europe where there is allot more technical stuff. It made sense to me at least.

I have quite a few.

Go from there

Like, duh, trifle, cos you get both...