Are gearboxes the way forward for MTBs or are derailleurs here to stay?

Claudio

The most vulnerable part of your bicycle and the one that most bicycle manufacturers seem determined to keep: the derailleur. Why? Is there a benefit over internal gearboxes? Are gearboxes a luxury that we can do without, or are they something that manufacturers should have jumped on years ago?

Click here to view the article

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gee nog so tussen 5 en 10 jaar, dan sal dit meskien behoorlik in werk gestel word. Daar word al n tyd lank op DH fietse al getoets, met groot sukses so ver.

I was discussing this just yesterday. I think it comes done to price vs weight vs reliability.

One a balance of all 3 has been achieved, I think we will see more "gearboxes"

Would be fantastic if ZF got involved: German engineering and sufficient production scaling to ensure efficient supply. Perhaps they could poach some of the SRAM XX designers, who are German anyhow.

The current MTB transmission providers would not be keen on a durable solution, though, lots of exposed little working parts in an off-road usage environment, pretty much equates to an evergreen income stream.

The SS brigade is obviously chuckling at all this. As is their right, I guess.

I do a bit of work with the Rohloff stuff and they are not durable.

For a commuter or a general cruiser they are fantastic but if you thrash them and expect them to last under race conditions they will fail. Once they fail good luck repairing on the trail!

Weight vs durability vs practicality says they still have a LONG way to go.

To the Down hillers out there, why don't you try in out? It might suit you...... Shifting under stress but not too much stress like riding up hills.. :ph34r:

LanceB, I am indeed chuckling at this. Well played sir.

Ooh, on another note, check out the 2014 BMW e-cruisers........ If you have 30 gears you might as well have one of these........

I think the main issue would be weight as well as some sort of clutch system. With the derailleur system we essentially have a clutch system but without the weight. Would be interesting to see where this goes. Also how you would be able to remove the rear wheel to sort out a puncture quickly.

Had a gearbox bike.. was awesome, no maintenance. Rearwheel removal easier on frame mounted gearbox, same as singlespeed.

And not that heavy, remember you're losing a cluster. Also the frame mounted box distributes weight more evenly, making wheels even lighter!

Once I've saved enough, Im definitely going gearbox again (on a Nicolai).

You need to add electric shifting into the equation. Expect to see more electric shifters on the mtb scene in the next year or 2.

So which is the rohloff to go for....

Rohloff currently only offers the Speedhub 500/14 as shown above.

Rohloff currently only offers the Speedhub 500/14 as shown above.

Yea quickly went through their, find your rohloff hub app, quite usefull.