Steilte Trails

Guest Omega Man

Omega how do i get to Steilte? day permits available? out of curiosity, what is the total distance of trails you guys have built? i am becoming a fan and would like to try it out as soon as i get to CT.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm...in my back-yard!!

Guess I'll have to invest in a DH rig and some serious courage now....

As and aside...how suitable are these tracks for "other" riders??? I mena the blokes without DH rigs...

are they still rideable? (that would mean a much larger potential income from AM riders etc.)

Hmmm...in my back-yard!!

As and aside...how suitable are these tracks for "other" riders??? I mena the blokes without DH rigs...

are they still rideable? (that would mean a much larger potential income from AM riders etc.)

I rode it the other day in serious slick mud and pouring rain on my 29'er Stumpjumper FSR. I had a serious ass-kicking wipe-out on a step-down/gap, but that was more because I messed it up and was riding on slicks due to the mud.

The current line is totally rideable on trail mikes with a bit more travel than the normal XC bikes. All the major jumps have safer lines or are just rollable (i.e. ride over them without air).

As I understand it, the landowners are in any event working on a more AM orientated trail for the future.

All that I would perhaps recommend is some knee pads. And a full face helmet won't hurt, but that's not a must.

Bottom line is the trail is a gnarly as you want it to be. Some of the gaps are insane, but you can just roll past them. The step down I pooped on is actually rollable at a snail's pace, but I just failed so hard.

Guest Omega Man

Omega how do i get to Steilte? day permits available? out of curiosity, what is the total distance of trails you guys have built? i am becoming a fan and would like to try it out as soon as i get to CT.

Hey man.

Yes there are day permits available. It's R50 for a day permit. The catch is you HAVE to ride with a member and it's the members responsibility to collect the R50 and ensure that you sign the waiver.

There's an enduro line at the moment that I have no idea how long it is. The DH line is about 2km in total with diverts and options going in all the time. There's another enduro style line being cut very soon.

There's also a small jumps line of 7 jumps next to the dh line.

This is a gravity venue catering to downhillers and enduro guys. I'm not sure on the total distance. Nothing like Jonkers tho.

Hey man.

Yes there are day permits available. It's R50 for a day permit. The catch is you HAVE to ride with a member and it's the members responsibility to collect the R50 and ensure that you sign the waiver.

There's an enduro line at the moment that I have no idea how long it is. The DH line is about 2km in total with diverts and options going in all the time. There's another enduro style line being cut very soon.

This is a gravity venue catering to downhillers and enduro guys. I'm not sure on the total distance. Nothing like Jonkers tho.

An enduro line? When did this happen? Where does it run?

Guest Omega Man

Hmmm...in my back-yard!!

It's totally ridable on a trail bike. There are some SIGNIFICANT gap jumps on the track but the b lines around them are just as fun and entertaining as the main lines. The top is somewhat techy with tight bermed turns and a few rock rolls and some interesting jumps.

The bottom is proper Euro Style bike park stuff. Super fast with MASSIVE jumps and Berms. The jumps are fully rollable and well built so you can case them and not go to hospital. I'm going to go out there at some point with my Reign but I'm having so much fun on my DH bike that I don't anticipate that being any time soon.

Edited by Omega Man

Guest Omega Man

An enduro line? When did this happen? Where does it run?

It crosses the dh line at the bottom and shares bits of the DH line at the top. There's a whole new Enduro line that's been marked out and will be cut soon.

Hey man.

Shot Omega!

i pass through the area often, are there members floating around all the time, or would i have to go with letting YOU know in advance? very very VERY keen to see and try the Enduro run you've been suggesting...

Guest Omega Man

Shot Omega!

i pass through the area often, are there members floating around all the time, or would i have to go with letting YOU know in advance? very very VERY keen to see and try the Enduro run you've been suggesting...

TBH It's still very much in it's infancy. There's probably only 10 members at this point. If you aren't into full DH I'd give it a while till we've got the new Enduro line in. I'll make a big song and dance about it of that you can be certain. Hehehe.

I had a great day out on my little used DH bike with Omega Man. Track has got huge potential and is already super fun. Here's a pic I grabbed off my gopro (which was not angled right the rest of the time so footage is unusable.)

post-6207-0-53931500-1382364125_thumb.jpg

Edited by iRide

I had a great day out on my little used DH bike with Omega Man. Track has got huge potential and is already super fun. Here's a pic I grabbed off my gopro (which was not angled right the rest of the time so footage is unusable.)

Pic or it didn't happen :whistling:

TBH It's still very much in it's infancy. There's probably only 10 members at this point. If you aren't into full DH I'd give it a while till we've got the new Enduro line in. I'll make a big song and dance about it of that you can be certain. Hehehe.

+1

i will be waiting in anticipation

Guest Omega Man

post-6207-0-53931500-1382364125_thumb.jpg

Getting your braap on there boy.

500 bucks for a DH line, a trail/AM line, a drop zone and a second DH line later?

that is a lot of money. I get that you want to use it to develop more lines, but I think they are pricing themselves out of the game.

I am not a scholar/student, but that is my avg monthly bike spend. maybe DH is just too expensive to be acessible to most people. what does a Conternans or Tokai or Jonkers year pass cost? These have established trails (we'll, maybe Tokai is debatable ) and DH lines already. This is the ball park they need to look at.

Reckon I'll do the daypass thing every now and then.