Designers and others help with wheel logos please!

NotSoBigBen

Having 'debadged' the wheels on my singlespeed rigid bike I want to now have some custom logos made. A close family member has a vinyl cutting machine and has offered to make them gratis :)

Now the problem is that I need to give him the 'sample' with the correct size and 'shape' and was just wondering how to do that? Idea I have had was to 'trace' onto an A4 sheet the shape then scan that and somehow use it as a guideline .....

But perhaps someone has a way easier and better idea or perhaps even already has something that I can use in say Word or Paint or something?

Thanks in advance

nsBB

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Having 'debadged' the wheels on my singlespeed rigid bike I want to now have some custom logos made. A close family member has a vinyl cutting machine and has offered to make them gratis :)

Now the problem is that I need to give him the 'sample' with the correct size and 'shape' and was just wondering how to do that? Idea I have had was to 'trace' onto an A4 sheet the shape then scan that and somehow use it as a guideline .....

But perhaps someone has a way easier and better idea or perhaps even already has something that I can use in say Word or Paint or something?

Thanks in advance

nsBB

Interesting. Would think you'd need a CAD/CAM programme (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer-aided_manufacturing) and plug in dimensions of yours wheels from manufacturer website.

Sending your mate a bmp drawing will most likely land you in the sin bin unless they guy's a whiz with his machine and drawings.

Interesting. Would think you'd need a CAD/CAM programme (http://en.wikipedia....d_manufacturing) and plug in dimensions of yours wheels from manufacturer website.

Sending your mate a bmp drawing will most likely land you in the sin bin unless they guy's a whiz with his machine and drawings.

Thanks man but that's a tad complicated ... he did say that a Word Doc or JPEG/GIF was fine ......

Interesting. Would think you'd need a CAD/CAM programme (http://en.wikipedia....d_manufacturing) and plug in dimensions of yours wheels from manufacturer website.

Nah, that's why to complicated, graphic designers don't use CAD/CAM software. Use Coreldraw or Illustrator

How hectic is the design? I can have a go and stick it into illustrator for you if you don't come right.

I have about as much creativity as a frog but here goes the basic idea .... Wanted the singlespeed in white with quite 'fat' writing and the rigid in red also 'fat' then a 'logo' that says SSR in a circle perhaps the writing white and the circle red ....

Hope that makes sense?

post-271-0-52623900-1381469390_thumb.jpg

The space on the rim is 20mm so I guess it would be best to use about 17mm for the letter height and logo size??

If you don't come right, give me a shout :thumbup: . That's easy enough to do.

The 1st thing that jumps to my mind is: "what is the profile of your rim?"

if you want a design for a 'flat' OR rounded surface I asssume you can simply draw it on a flat piece of paper and it will have the same 'look' on the rim, but if the rim goes from a flat to a rounded part (I have a set of rims like that), then your design/"cut out" will look different on paper to on the rim.... hope this makes sense

So: what is your shape?

post-24697-0-79088400-1381469950_thumb.jpg

post-24697-0-11768600-1381469958_thumb.png

post-24697-0-44201200-1381469967_thumb.jpg

post-24697-0-77810300-1381469979_thumb.jpg

I know this one is building arches, but it kinda has most of the different shapes one gets for rims too.....

Edited by hayleyearth

Just to confuse the okies in the Souf why not replace the following:

SingleSpeed with Geared

Rigid with Suspension

SSR with BFY

BFY.....Because Fu*k You

Just to confuse the okies in the Souf why not replace the following:

SingleSpeed with Geared

Rigid with Suspension

SSR with BFY

BFY.....Because Fu*k You

Confuse them more than they are already :eek:

Cool will have a go and send it to you and you can decide on what Hayley said cause that whooshing sound was all that tech speak going over my head.

Cool will have a go and send it to you and you can decide on what Hayley said cause that whooshing sound was all that tech speak going over my head.

Thanks mate! Also a bit of swissair for me but the surface is straight :)