Best 29 er Tyres for Road use?

nickvink30@yahoo.com

Hey guys

I'm a total newbie to the whole cycling thing. Recently got a MTB 29er and am cycling to work and back - 10 k's a day, so not too hectic. Bike came standard with Kenda small block 8 29 x 2.1.

Am looking to change tyres that are better geared to road use. What would your suggestions be?

RIM SPEC: Alex XD Comp Double Wall Alloy - 29", 622X19, 500g, ERD: 605

Looking for something fast with fair puncture resistance, scrolled the net but many suggested tyres not available locally.

Look forward to the replies.

Spez Renegades 1,95 (won't cost you the world) If you have the worlds money and don't know what to do with it, try Shwalbe Furious Fred's

Wow that was a quick reply, this site rocks.

Will take a look at those options, if I had the worlds money wouldn't need to cycle to work n back. :w00t:

Maxxis Ikons...they dont mind tar like a schwalbe's

The Ikon look practically identical to my current Kenda small block 8's.

I'm guessing the "knobbly" type tyre would have more resistance than a smoother tyre, right? Seen Continental Double Fighter tyre which looks quite appealing as it is fairly flat with just enough small knobs for grip and durability. Anybody got experience with these puppies?

post-50008-0-12245700-1381473234_thumb.png

The Ikon look practically identical to my current Kenda small block 8's.

I'm guessing the "knobbly" type tyre would have more resistance than a smoother tyre, right? Seen Continental Double Fighter tyre which looks quite appealing as it is fairly flat with just enough small knobs for grip and durability. Anybody got experience with these puppies?

Yes small block 8's and ikons are similar, the nice thing about these tyres are that they still roll very efficiently however still very good in offroad applications should the need arise.

Small blocks are actually pretty good for the road - it is a tyre designed for hard surfaces. Another good one is the Maxxis crossmark, it has a relatively constant centre tread that wears quite well.

(I'm assuming you also want to go on the dirt at some point since you did buy a MTB).

Edited by niterider

Small blocks are actually pretty good for the road - it is a tyre designed for hard surfaces. Another good one is the Maxxis crossmark, it has a relatively constant centre tread that wears quite well.

(I'm assuming you also want to go on the dirt at some point since you did buy a MTB).

Yea also confused by this, but hey, if you want slick on the mbt, then go for it OP

If you have the worlds money and don't know what to do with it, try Shwalbe Furious Fred's

You need more than the worlds money to run Furious Freds. They puncture at the sight of a thorn/shard of glass and will give you (no exageration) about 300 km on tar. Nice and light though.

If you are only riding on tar, look for a 35 mm touring tyre from Conti, schwalbe, etc. they all make them and they go perfectly on a 29 er rim.