Fixie Project

Baaisikilist

And bingo was his name-o...

Brown Carge spoon saddle and Brown Bike Ribbon bar tape.

If I can find brown pedal straps that grab me then I'll put those on a set of chrome/polished flat pedals.

And designing some sort of logo for the seat tube.

There were some very nice brown leather Brooks straps floating around eBay not so long ago...

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Must check it out. Looking for a nice thick strap. But you only seem to get them in a nylon material with velcro.

Trying to keep it as classic as I can.

Got a more 'modern' project in the pipeline for when this is done.

The problem with projects, is that they just beget more projects!

I am never finished with my projects.

Just the way I like it!

Got the frame back from anodizing (eventually), and it didn't come out the way I wanted it. Finish quality was shoddy and I wasn't in the mood to keep driving from the south to Sebenza till they got it right.

Decided to have it sprayed. Something I should have just done in the 1st place.

Happy with the result.

post-2885-0-23737200-1385626844_thumb.jpg

post-2885-0-21327700-1385626761_thumb.jpg

post-2885-0-43258500-1385626783_thumb.jpg

post-2885-0-95543000-1385626967_thumb.jpg

That bike stand looks rather lekker. Is it home made from bog standard irrigation sections?? If so that’s smart.

That bike stand looks rather lekker. Is it home made from bog standard irrigation sections?? If so that’s smart.

It's a Torq Craft bike repair stand from Makro. Was R799. I see CWC has em too now. Does the job.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice little build you've got going here, interested to see the end product once you done. but i think i might be more interested to see your modern build when you get that going.

Nice little build you've got going here, interested to see the end product once you done. but i think i might be more interested to see your modern build when you get that going.

It's already going. That's gonna be run mainly as a singlespeed though. Busy stripping the paint and sourcing parts. Will start a new thread about it in due course.

• 5 weeks later...

post-44986-0-44666500-1389274781_thumb.jpg

Yeah, the clearance is about 2-3mm if that. I'm gonna fool around at Hector Norris on it and mainly do a critical mass or 2 on it, otherwise it's an ornament for my study wall. Need to make some classy, low key wall hanging/mounting brackets for it too.

And a matching pisspot helmet.

MTBaaisikilist

Let me know when you going to Hector Norris. I recently restored an old 60-70's DHC with Zeus dropouts. Would love to have a ride around the track and compare notes!

post-44986-0-01551000-1389274384_thumb.jpg

post-44986-0-71548300-1389274489_thumb.jpg

post-44986-0-44933900-1389274690_thumb.jpg

Hi there. I also have a DHC which hails from 1976 (bought new then!) I have also converted mine to a SS, but needs to complete the job - paint wise etc.

What do you recommend - painting the frame or having it powder coated? My bike has the botton sections of the fork in chrome as well as the back sections of the rear stay, and I am worried that by powder coating that may go lost (told you my bike was VERY original!). I even stll have the original bar tape on that (the bike is a metallic blue with the blue matching tape). I am so in two minds whether or not I want to change too much of the original .....

Hi Agter os, I am not an expert at this but IMHO you lose value if you respray an old bike that has future collector's value. DHC's from the 1970's would fall into this category if they were restored, or available for restoration.

When you say you have converted the bike into SS what did you do to the frame? If you ground off any derailer parts (down tube shifter bits, front derailer braze on's and any cable carriers) the frame will already have been devalued as it could not be restored to its original "ten speed"status. If this is the case you can go ahead and repaint/customise. I have no opinion on repainting or powder coating - it's a personal choice and I so go with what style you like.

Not sure if you are aware of this website but here are some beauties from around the globe.

http://www.fixedgeargallery.com

I resprayed my DHC track bike as it had a few previous coats since the late 60's, early 70's. Apart from the saddle, new tyres and new SRAM chain the other parts are near to the period as possible.

Please post some photos of your DHC for us to look at.

Hi there Domestique,

No, I have not changed anything as yet on my DHC, as I couldn't really make up my mind as to what exactly to do.

(Keep it original, transform it into a SS or what)

Pictures of the bike can be posted, but if you wish to take a "tour" at another forum on The Hub, look at "Retro Bicycle Thread" around Page 80 and you'll see some photo's I have posted there. My bike is still very original, and all I have done is to replace the gear cluster at the back (5 or 7 speed, can't remember now) with a single sprocket. In order to get a better gearing (and not really wishing to destroy anything, I have even retained the two chainring set-up in front - I merely brought the smaller sprocket (44T) to the outside in order to get a straight line-up for the chain.

Thing is I do have 6 other bikes as well, including a 1954 Raleigh built in Springs, very good original condition with still the original front tyre can you believe it - equipped with a 3 speed Sturmey Archer 1952 model gears. I managed to get Sturmey Archer parts imported from Holland to complete this. Due to me not having a SS, the idea came to me to maybe transform the DHC into this, but my heart breaks if I think that I'll do damage to the bike. Will maybe reconsider. May we meet somewhere or sometime? Will like to see your DHC!!