MTB route - Cape Town to Knysna or Plett

wings47

Hi Hubbers,

I'm keen on doing a self-supported MTB 'Tour' (ride) from Cape Town to Knysna or Plett in December, taking 4-6 days.

There are organised MTB tours that do that sort of route, typically for the Knysna Oyster festival. I think a lot of it is based on the reverse of the early Epic routes.

I'm looking for information on the route, possible accommodation along the way (not planning to camp, just B&B or farmhouse stays), etc.

It would be great to get the Garmin tracks from someone who has done the route, that would make navigation a whole lot easier !

If you can help and/or provide helpful information, that would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/131062-stellenbosch-to-prins-albert/

See this thread for the first part of your planned ride.

Then, go from Prince Albert to Klaarstroom, Willowmore, Uniondale, Over Prince Alfred Pass, to Knysna or Plett (depending on where you want to end.)

Or go from Prince Albert over Swartberg Pass to Oudtshoorn, De Rust, Uniondale and further as above.

Or go from Prince Albert over Swartbeg Pass to Oudtshoorn, over old Robinson Pass to George, and through Saasveld and Karatara (the forest) to Knysna

You'll have no problem finding a B&B in any of the little towns. Even halfway between there are many farms that offer accommodation, as long as you don't expect the Ritz.

There are a few threads about this route but my search only found this recent one. Also look at the Freedom Challenge route for ideas.

Don't know about riding through the Karoo areas in the heat of summer though.

Will not be pleasant!

Cooking.....driving in the car is unpleasant enough...Easter would be a good time maybe

Don't know about riding through the Karoo areas in the heat of summer though.

Will not be pleasant!

Yup, the heat can be rough, so if you decide to do it, prepare for it by training in the midday heat as much as you can. Make sure you carry lots of water and fill up whenever you can. Start as early as you can. It will be light enough to ride from about 04h45. That means you can do a 6 hr day on the bike and finish by 11h00. The worst heat is from 12h00 to 16h00. Wind is also likely to be worst from midday until early evening. Finish early, siesta until late afternoon, have an early dinner and sundowners, hit the sack as soon as it is dark (around 8pm).

Thanks for the valuable input and observations. Yes, I had read the link posted by DJR and that got me thinking of going further. Heat will be an issue, but less for me as I am comfortable in hot conditions and my body deals well with heat (opposite for cold ...).

If someone has done one of the organised tours and would post their Garmin/Strava tracks, that would be great.

By the way, if you're adventurous enough, a night ride on some of the remoter Karoo roads is absolute magic. I love a full moon ride when it is so bright that you don't even need a light on the bike. At the other end of the scale, a pitch black dark moon night, with stars so close you can touch them, speeding along into your own tunnel of light amidst the huge landscape, is equally magical.

I get goosebumps just writing this stuff, sitting here in my city office ................need to get back there soon..........December is too far off..........

Edited by DJR

This is something I dream about every night. To plan a tour like this would be just as exciting as actually doing it. I hope someone will come forward and share some of their routes with us. And the routes must be accessible for the public, you don't want to end up on an angry farmer`s land.

this hit my inbox this morning, sort of related.

Dear Fellow Riders,

We are proud to announce that the Spur CA 2 CX MTB Tour 2014 will take place from the 28th of June 2014 until the6th of July 2014.

Over the past couple of years the tours has grown from strength to strength and for the first time in 2014 we are taking 2 groups on what is going to be an unforgettable tour.

Brief summary of the Spur MTB CA 2 CX Tour for 2014:

Total Distance of Tour: 647km over 7 stages

Stage 1: Bellville to Worcester

Stage 2: Worcester to Montagu

Stage 3: Montagu to Route 62

Stage 4: Route 62 to Calitzdorp

Stage 5: Calitzdorp to George

Stage 6: Goerge to Knysna

Stage 7: Stay in Knysna for 3 nights

Key services included in the tour entry:

• Medical Support
  • Transportation of luggage
  • Food box and complementary goody bag
  • Back-up vehicles
  • Tour Jacket
  • 8 x breakfasts
  • 5 x dinners
  • Snacks on Thursday night in Knysna

Total cost of the tour R 6 995 per person and due to a limited amount of entry's it is recommended that you book your seat before the 9th of November 2013 with a R 1 000 deposit.

If you need any additional information or have any special requirements feel free to contact me.

Regards,

J J STEYN

CLASSIC CYCLES

132 DURBAN ROAD

BELLVILLE

Cell : 082 938 9886

Fax : 086 514 3306