Rear shock!

Brett_Hayward

Hi there

Can anyone help me with a little advise. I have a Giant AC and I am looking at replacing the rear shock, I have measured from eye to eye and its 200mm. My question is can i go for any Shock with that length or is there a specific shock i must use or get.

Thanks

Brett

post-44716-0-52857100-1381816206_thumb.jpg

You can go for any shock as lon as it has

• the same eye-to-eye length
  • the same stroke length
  • the ability to use the correct mounting hardware

If all 3 of those criteria are met, then you should be fine.

Guest Omega Man

You might even be able to throw an air shock in here and save a bit of heft. Give Jaco Veldsman a call at The Bike Shed. They've just got in a shipment of X Fusion shocks. you might get lucky.

As far as shocks go for a 200mm eye to eye it's not an uncommon length and you can put in a Fox RC2, DHX Air 4 and 5 or even a rockshox monarch.

Edited by Omega Man

You might even be able to throw an air shock in here and save a bit of heft. Give Jaco Veldsman a call at The Bike Shed. They've just got in a shipment of X Fusion shocks. you might get lucky.

As far as shocks go for a 200mm eye to eye it's not an uncommon length and you can put in a Fox RC2, DHX Air 4 and 5 or even a rockshox monarch.

I thouhg that with words like "or even" you'd suggest a CCDB (coil or air) :ph34r:

Guest Omega Man

I thouhg that with words like "or even" you'd suggest a CCDB (coil or air) :ph34r:

Haha. Not for a Giant AC bru. For a Santa Cruz Nomad Yes. AC. Not so much. (No offence to the owner. I was oncethe proud owner of a Giant AC myself) Hey I'm in JHB. I'm meeting Maxxis for a beers later. wanna join?

Edited by Omega Man

Haha. Not for a Giant AC bru. For a Santa Cruz Nomad Yes. AC. Not so much. (No offence to the owner. I was oncethe proud owner of a Giant AC myself) Hey I'm in JHB. I'm meeting Maxxis for a beers later. wanna join?

What time and where?

You can go for any shock as lon as it has

• the same eye-to-eye length
  • the same stroke length
  • the ability to use the correct mounting hardware

If all 3 of those criteria are met, then you should be fine.

more specifically, 200mm eye to eye with 50mm stroke. Convert to inches and browse through some shock catalogues to get one that fits.

Where's my invite?

Despite that being a slightly heavier shock its quite a nice shock if its working properly and set-up correctly. For an old AC the price for a replacement shock + correct bushings that will beat that Manitou is probably not worth the bucks. Have you setup that shock properly yet?

Apparently some of those Manitou shocks are very easy to do a major service as well, use stock avail o-rings. Service it and setup and then see..

Guest Omega Man

Where's my invite?

Sorry for the hijack op. it's your town boys. you tell me. i've got a rental. i'm in Waverley