ATTACKS IN PTA EAST

JRH

Recently there was a spate of attacks on Mountain Bikers in the Woodlands area. :excl: It seems as if the attacks are launched from the nearby squatter camp in the area.

It is common cause that the SAPS is not able (prepared?) to protect cyclists because, despite the attacks, I still could not notice any police presence in the area, besides the occasional visit to the nearby fast food outlets, not frequented by Mountain Bikers.

Me and a couple of buddies frequently cycles in the area, but I also cycle alone quite often.

Is it not possible that we join up with other cyclists in the area to form sort of a group, larger than the usual two or three guys, to ensure that we are protected?

This might seem like a schlep, but I really believe that we should start looking after our own.

Anyone interested must please contact me via this forum.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Numbers don't seem to worry these idiots. I just heard that the group that rides from Parkview on Thursday evenings were shot at tonight on that same stretch a couple hours back.

Numbers don't seem to worry these idiots. I just heard that the group that rides from Parkview on Thursday evenings were shot at tonight on that same stretch a couple hours back.

It wasn't a group of riders this evening that were shot at it was just me and another guy from Parkview Night Riders (PNR). The place where we were almost bike-jacked was going down Garsfontein road from Mooikloof a few hundred metres before Woodlands shopping centre. As we approached these two guys the one guy tried to pull something out his pocket and it looked like they were going to attack us, we sped up and the next thing we heard three shots fire at us. We didn't look back and just carried on cycling.

It wasn't a group of riders this evening that were shot at it was just me and another guy from Parkview Night Riders (PNR). The place where we were almost bike-jacked was going down Garsfontein road from Mooikloof a few hundred metres before Woodlands shopping centre. As we approached these two guys the one guy tried to pull something out his pocket and it looked like they were going to attack us, we sped up and the next thing we heard three shots fire at us. We didn't look back and just carried on cycling.

Holy s***! Glad you weren't hurt.

I said on another thread covering the same incidents that I will be happy to contribute to and participate in any sort of community effort or initiative to sort the problem out and bring some justice to these savages.

I won't be held to ransom in my own country.

At what time did it happen?

It was at about 18h50 on Thursday evening.

Guys, just stay away from the Garsfontein road between Mooikloof and Woodlands shopping centre.

I just noticed today after my morning ride that my helmet took a bullet from the back through to the front. 2 mm closer to my head and it would have hit my scalp.

Here is the image below. It went in through the left at the back of the helmet and out through the right at the top of the helmet...

Guys, just stay away from the Garsfontein road between Mooikloof and Woodlands shopping centre.

I just noticed today after my morning ride that my helmet took a bullet from the back through to the front. 2 mm closer to my head and it would have hit my scalp.

Here is the image below. It went in through the left at the back of the helmet and out through the right at the top of the helmet...

How did you not realise it when it happened?

Yoh!

That was close!!! I'm glad that you came out of it OK.

This makes me really cross. That barbarian almost shot you through the head, for your bike!!!!

In essence these guys are now preventing any cyclist from using Garsfontein Road and nobody (read the SAPS) is going to do something about it.

I agree with Badass that we as a community should do something about it. That is why I think that we should either force the SAPS to prioritise this matter or tell this story to someone who can force them to look at it. There were two attempted murders in three days, probably by the same suspects, who can be found in the squatter camp, next to the road.

If this happened to a taxi driver they would have closed the road or embarked on some other kind ofnprotest a long time ago.

How did you not realise it when it happened?

Cav, I have no idea how I didn't notice that. I didn't even hear it. We just sped off and rode like crazy. My cleat even came out I got such a initial shock. Afterwards I said to my mates that I don't know how he missed me as the first shot was 5-10 metres away from me, from behind. Evidently he didn't miss.

Cav, I have no idea how I didn't notice that. I didn't even hear it. We just sped off and rode like crazy. My cleat even came out I got such a initial shock. Afterwards I said to my mates that I don't know how he missed me as the first shot was 5-10 metres away from me, from behind. Evidently he didn't miss.

Your a lucky man.

I doubt i'll ever ride that portion again (unless we are in a group of 10)

Stay safe

Your a lucky man.

I doubt i'll ever ride that portion again (unless we are in a group of 10)

Stay safe

I'm so glad you're ok dude....incidentally, a man was hijacked and shot in full view of motorists and passers by this afternoon in Glenwood Road near Faerie Glen Hospital...about a minute before I passed there on my bike. Really shaken by these violent events so close to home!