Garmin Edge 500 Red Bundle

RudoJ

Disagree ... you just havent played with the 510 long enough!

10 Bike profiles (I have 6)

Personal Records

Race & Train Profiles (I like different stats while racing ... power, ave's etc)

Easier to change info, just tap and hold what you wanna change

Easier to swich between bike profiles

Touch screen

Colour screen

Live tracking, bluetooth and being able to upload to Garmin Connect is just a bonus!

510 :thumbup: :thumbup:

The functions you find appealing I wouldn't use actually use(10 bikes :eek: ) I like one layout, my eyes get used to where my HR, speed and altitude is. You also train with a powermeter but I am willing to bet 95% of cyclists that have these units don't, so no need for a different race profile / training profile. Touch screen on a mtb isn't ideal imo, but that is personal choice. I also don't know why you would need to change info that much, I did a single setup, from then on I use the start / stop and reset buttons.

I think you can also admit the bluetooth protocol and live tracking is a bit halfbaked

Look if it works for you great...I just expected more.

Edited by rouxtjie

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like the Red 500 for the colour and size. I'm not worried about live tracking and the size of 510 and 800 is a bit off putting. Will have to decide. Thanks for input Rouxtjie and Tankman.

The functions you find appealing I wouldn't use actually use(10 bikes :eek: ) I like one layout, my eyes get used to where my HR, speed and altitude is. You also train with a powermeter but I am willing to bet 95% of cyclists that have these units don't, so no need for a different race profile / training profile. Touch screen on a mtb isn't ideal imo, but there that is personal choice. I also don't know why you would need to change info that much, I did a single setup, from then on I use the start / stop and reset buttons.

I think you can also admit the bluetooth protocol and live tracking is also a bit halfbaked

Different bike, different disciplines, requires different info.

For TT, I dont care much about elevation, much more about power and ave power

For Mtb, I dont car much for cadence but much more for elevation.

For training, I like seeing all the not so important info but during I only want to focus on what is important

That can upload to ONLY garmin connect that I don't use cause its hondnaai compared to strava and sporttracks

We agree, Garmin Disconnect sucks ass big time but I read somewhere that some clever hackers have written a app where you can upload to Strava, Endomondo or wherever you choose.

So the bluetooth protocol is there to connect with your smartphone, clever move since we need some sort of internet connectivity to upload gps data to a website, since we are very unlikely to receive free internet in any of the 3rd world countries anytime soon, connecting with a smartphone was probably the best solution.

Live tracking works ... just a shame it works on Garmin Disconnect but as I said, some cleaver hackers can make it work on other sites also.

Edit: spelling

Edited by Tankman

Different bike, different disciplines, requires different info.

For TT, I dont care much about elevation, much more about power and ave power

For Mtb, I dont car much for cadence but much more for elevation.

For training, I like seeing all the not so important info but during I only want to focus on what is important

We agree, Garmin Disconnect sucks ass big time but I read somewhere that some clever hackers have written a app where you can upload to Strava, Endomondo or wherever you choose.

So the bluetooth protocol is there to connect with your smartphone, clever move since we need some sort of internet connectivity to upload gps data to a website, since are very unlikely to receive free internet in any of the 3rd world countries anytime soon, connecting with a smartphone was probably the best solution.

Live tracking works ... just a shame it works on Garmin Disconnect but as I said, some cleaver hackers can make it work on other sites also.

Edit: spelling

Ah get it now...you have profile for road, TT and mtb and for different bikes in each dicipline...so that makes sense I guess...and off course all the additional power fields.

I just think they could have done a little better....like a direct upload to strava as an example, bluetooth 4 vs 2.1 that will enable you to link to a much wider variety of devices. It almost like they did the upgrades in a rush without thinking it through. Also maybe the need to eliminate a link to a phone, like a sim slot....again, maybe I am expecting too much but also because the 500 really set the bar high, so it will be very hard to beat.

So if they don't bring in the RED 500, then where does Cape Union mart get their stock from. I got a the full package in RED from them at R 2 999.00 less 20% discovery Vitality discount ended up paying R 2 399.00

So if they don't bring in the RED 500, then where does Cape Union mart get their stock from. I got a the full package in RED from them at R 2 999.00 less 20% discovery Vitality discount ended up paying R 2 399.00

we should talk..... :whistling:

According to website edge 500 bundle 3.5K maybe yours was on special?

Edited by RudoJ

Also maybe the need to eliminate a link to a phone, like a sim slot....again, maybe I am expecting too much but also because the 500 really set the bar high, so it will be very hard to beat.

Problem with sticking a sim card in there, you need more functions and then ... well you basically need a phone, with data and airtime and we are back to the phone.

Garmin developers said that if they could eliminate the like between phone and the unit, they would but the problem is that internet is not free in most parts of the world.

Yea, the 500 is an awesome unit, nice and compact ... its just been upgraded, thats all ;)

Good question ....

Hi

Only dif is the colour

As for Garmin SA, I've had a problem previously (FW upgrade went wrong), Garmin SA swapped it out no question.

Bought the red one for my wife from CRC

G

OK,

I have searched all over...I want this specific package, as some long service leave has been awarded to me. anyways

I've been on Easybike, EasyGis and Fittrack that best price for this would be around R3100-00. Locally that's probably the best price?

Just another question, the Red Bundle has the premium HRM strap or something, what is the difference (besides price) between this and the regular edge 500 bundle?

Thanks!

yip, zamalek change is baie belangrik.

But the 510 is actually quite dissapointing considering garmin had +- 3 years to improve on the 500. What did they do.

Make a heavier, bigger unit that uses old bluetooth protocol that none of the newer bluetooth add on's can talk to.

That costs more.

That can upload to ONLY garmin connect that I don't use cause its hondnaai compared to strava and sporttracks

Give you the ability to connect live to people riding, but they have to carry a cellphone that has an app that can do the very same thing

500 ftw

WHAT, can you not upload the 510 data to Strava?

Problem with sticking a sim card in there, you need more functions and then ... well you basically need a phone, with data and airtime and we are back to the phone.

Garmin developers said that if they could eliminate the like between phone and the unit, they would but the problem is that internet is not free in most parts of the world.

Yea, the 500 is an awesome unit, nice and compact ... its just been upgraded, thats all ;)

ah but that really is the thing, cellphones are getting very close to what a garmin can do, so I would think garmin would have upped the game a bit, it won't be long before cellphone bateries can match garmin's runtime also eliminates the need to carry an extra device....also they seem to want to hold on to their ANT+ protocol instead of newer and better protocols but in doing so are really shooting themselves in the foot. With regards to the sim thing, I get that they don't want to make a phone but I wouldn't have mind to pay for that service to be honest(being able to link without a phone)...I don't want it for free and would buy "data" from garmin, hell they can even mark it up a bit. I don't however want to carry a phone....so why stay behind. Anyhow, I will support garmin, you say upgrade I say smoke and mirror hahaha

:thumbup:

we should talk..... :whistling:

According to website edge 500 bundle 3.5K maybe yours was on special?

If I remember correctly I phoned a few branches and confirmed their price which was cheaper than whats on their website, because not all of them stock the 500. I eventually got one at East Rand Mall. When I arrived I told the sales guy I was actually looking for the red and black one, which he found in the store at the same price. So I would phone their branches to get prices.