Hell and Back

Cacher

Can somebody please send me a GPS track (with elevations) of the route, as I want to create my own route profile. Yes, I know I can not get lost during the race, but it is just to know what still lies ahead in terms of climing during the race. Thanks

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

p.s. route is not that difficult,

you start on a little downhill (don't enjoy it too much)

then you start climbing a mountain

at the top you start going down (at least you think you do)

when you finally feel like dying you climb a small little pimple hill aptly named heart break hill

then the 4km elandspad decent into the kloof where you actually stop halfway to rest and have your brakes cool down

you drink beer, braai and sleep.

day 2

you climb for ever and ever and ever and ever.

you climb some more

you hit the 18km downhill from the top of the swartbergpass

you get a nasty suprise with a slight 1.5km climb (see line one above) to the finish-line where you collapse in a heap resembling a human.

ps. check your pm

• 2 weeks later...

when you finally feel like dying you climb a small little pimple hill aptly named heart break hill

then the 4km elandspad decent into the kloof where you actually stop halfway to rest and have your brakes cool down

day 2

you climb some more

you get a nasty suprise with a slight 1.5km climb (see line one above) to the finish-line where you collapse in a heap resembling a human.

ps. check your pm

haha very funny Fanie, sounds like my type of self-inflicting-torture, dates?

day 2

you climb some more

ps. check your pm

Yes, that sounds like it except, you have to add the possibility of FIRE from Hell or Hell FROZEN over type weather possibilities. :D

day 2

you climb some more

Brilliant route description :thumbup:

Great race, sadly have to compete with the W2W and DC for my limited cycling time & budget, but will definitely do it again.

Can anyone explain how the accommodation works for this event?

The website's homepage says

"Entries for 2013 in the Race Village (1st Campsite) are now CLOSED!!!

Entries for own accommodation (in the Hell) will still be accepted - see entry form.

Can somebody please send me a GPS track (with elevations) of the route, as I want to create my own route profile. Yes, I know I can not get lost during the race, but it is just to know what still lies ahead in terms of climing during the race. Thanks

Here is my course files... you should be able to upload it to your garmin

Day1

http://connect.garmi...m/course/234715

Day2

http://connect.garmi...m/course/234714

EDIT: dont look at the times, they are not mine but belongs to a friend of a friend....

:-)

Can anyone explain how the accommodation works for this event?

The website's homepage says

"Entries for 2013 in the Race Village (1st Campsite) are now CLOSED!!!

Entries for own accommodation (in the Hell) will still be accepted - see entry form.

There are 2 campsites. If you book in campsite 1 there is already a tent and matrass as well as dinner (braaivleis) for sat evening. This option gets sold out quickly.

Campsite 2 is self catering. You bring own tent, matrass and food. These entries are still open

There are 2 campsites. If you book in campsite 1 there is already a tent and matrass as well as dinner (braaivleis) for sat evening. This option gets sold out quickly.

Campsite 2 is self catering. You bring own tent, matrass and food. These entries are still open

Campsite 2 is only for the end of stage 1? So I'll still need to arrange accommdation in Oudtshoorn or somewhere near the start, is that correct?

This event seems to be a logistical nightmare :cursing: will only do it if i can tag along with someone for 2013 & share petrol costs & accommodation (willing to rough it with my sleeping bag) if you know of anyone point me to them or them to me, until then it will most likely have to wait for 2014 so I can do better planning.

This event seems to be a logistical nightmare :cursing: will only do it if i can tag along with someone for 2013 & share petrol costs & accommodation (willing to rough it with my sleeping bag) if you know of anyone point me to them or them to me, until then it will most likely have to wait for 2014 so I can do better planning.

Its quite easy actually

It is a two day event with the overnight in The Hel as explained below

They ship your stuff in on a truck

There is a camp site at the start finish

Its quite easy actually

It is a two day event with the overnight in The Hel as explained below

They ship your stuff in on a truck

There is a camp site at the start finish

And do they ship it back as well?

Archived