Convertion or upgrade?

Jaco-fiets

I'd go 32t + 11-36 cass.

Everyone that has converted says you get used to it and 32t is fine, most going to 34t or even higher after a month or 2

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd go 32t + 11-36 cass.

Everyone that has converted says you get used to it and 32t is fine, most going to 34t or even higher after a month or 2

The hell and back is my last mtb race this year. I'll put on the blade just after that and see how it goes before I buy the cassette converter.

It may be a dumb question, but why you wanting to change to 1x10 if you are not fit enough to ride your trails on a 36 cassette? Why not stay with what you have until you are?

I've just converted from 2x10 (11-36 casette with 24-32 crankset) on my 29er to 1x10 (11-36, 32t Wolftooth)

My recommendation:

keep the 11-36 casette

carefully select what size chainring up front, keep in mind 32t on 29er is equivalent to 36t on 26".... Wolftooth has nice table that shows the differences between all the different gearing options.

You would be amazed by how efficient the 1 x 10 set-up is, I also experienced that my chain need less lube before it starts squeaking on the 1 x 10. I've done the Van Gaalens concrete climb a few times on it now, and its not really much more effort than with my old 2x10 set-up

I'd probably go for 30t on my 29er, but thats beacuse I ride lots of really steep technical trails

Also keep in mind Shimano will most probably release their 1x10/11 set-up end of this year, and if it trickles down to XT, that should be the one to wait for, in the mean time, go for 1 x 10 with wolftooth, with standard 11-36 casette.

Also on my hardtail I can ride 1 x 10 without need for clutch derailleur, on my full sus, I have clutch, and the Wolftooth also works on 9 spd as well

I ride a 1x10 (34T & 11-36) on my 26" HT

And I do rides like Rietvlei, Thaba & Breedts with it.

IMESHHO (In my ever-so hub humble opinion) you should be fine with 1x10 - just play around with the front chain ring- you'll quickly find the right ratio.

The problem is it can be expensive trying different front ring sizes.... unless you can steal/borrow diferent sizes and try out

I'm not clued up on the 29'' setup...but on a 26''-

If you're a strong rider - go for 34T

If you're going to be a strong rider - go for a 32T

Or come through to Delta Park or Emmarentia one day and you can take my bike for a spin and see what you think of the 34T 11-36 combo...

I ride my 1*9 (32 * 11-34) round Rietvlei and Thaba but I don't like it on 'outrides' ......

That would be because you'd be spinning your legs broken on the flats & slight downhills :D

It may be a dumb question, but why you wanting to change to 1x10 if you are not fit enough to ride your trails on a 36 cassette? Why not stay with what you have until you are?

Don't think I am a slouch on the bike. I actually would like some of the guys on their 32 or 34 with 11/36 to come join me on the trails around Wellington to see if they can comfortably ride the trails.

I guess I will have to try it before I shoot it down. Will cost me considerably less if it does turn out to be fine

Thanks for the help guys

Don't think I am a slouch on the bike. I actually would like some of the guys on their 32 or 34 with 11/36 to come join me on the trails around Wellington to see if they can comfortably ride the trails.

I guess I will have to try it before I shoot it down. Will cost me considerably less if it does turn out to be fine

Thanks for the help guys

Maybe go to The Gear Change and speak to the mechanic there (Justin). He is from JHB and we used to ride together often up here. He can give you an unbiased opinion on the ratios and maybe see what he's got lying around to help with a test ride...

Thanks for the help guys

For riding in Wellington I'd agree with your idea of starting with a 30T. Those are some serious climbs around there!!!