Suspension oil alternatives?

Hardtailrider

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For RS 15wt you can use a fully synthetic 15wt motor oil - it has nothing to do with the damper, it's just lubrication for the lowers. Motul makes a pretty decent one for less than half the price of the Motorex stuff.

Where can you find the Motul 15wt oil?

Ok cool, and that will be fine for a RS Boxxer you reckon? I just want to change the oil in the lowers... also where can you find seals if I were to want to replace them? CRC?

Ok cool, and that will be fine for a RS Boxxer you reckon? I just want to change the oil in the lowers... also where can you find seals if I were to want to replace them? CRC?

buy them from STOKE?

You have the right idea. RS use Torco 7wt, Fox Green 10wt is Torco RSF Medium, and Fox Red 10wt is Silkolene Pro RSF 10wt. Silkolene's no good for open bath dampers though, because it's not a very good lubricant.

The best stuff to use is Redline, although I haven't found a local distributor yet.

No Torco in the country, working on getting some in though. Bel-Ray 5wt works pretty well in RS dampers and is readily available, as does Motul 5wt which can be found at Suzuki South. World of Accessories in Bellville stocks Maxima oils, although their range isn't amazing.

For RS 15wt you can use a fully synthetic 15wt motor oil - it has nothing to do with the damper, it's just lubrication for the lowers. Motul makes a pretty decent one for less than half the price of the Motorex stuff.

Depends which bit. If you're doing lowers, a fully synthetic 10wt will be better - same reason as above. If you're doing the damper, Silkolene Pro RSF 10 is the way forward. It's what Fox uses, and I have buckets of it if you need. But beware - that FIT cartridge service is quite a procedure, and you'll need shaft clamps so you don't flatten the damper tubes.

Mr Droo. if I want to do oil change on my RS (Spec Brian) what is the best oil to use? Thanks

Mr Droo. if I want to do oil change on my RS (Spec Brian) what is the best oil to use? Thanks

If you're just doing a lowers service, then 15wt fully synthetic motor oil will do the job, and red rubber grease or Motorex Prep M in the air spring. If you're thinking of servicing the damper, don't.

I must warn you that opening the fork will void your warranty though... if they find out you've done it.

If you're just doing a lowers service, then 15wt fully synthetic motor oil will do the job, and red rubber grease or Motorex Prep M in the air spring. If you're thinking of servicing the damper, don't.

I must warn you that opening the fork will void your warranty though... if they find out you've done it.

Thanks for the info Droo

• 4 months later...

Thanks for all the info here!!! Droo, I sent you an email and then realised that you have already answered the question in this thread... sorry about that.

When doing the lowers, should I use a heavier oil for the dust seals, or just go with the RS manual and use 15w?

Thanks for all the info here!!! Droo, I sent you an email and then realised that you have already answered the question in this thread... sorry about that.

When doing the lowers, should I use a heavier oil for the dust seals, or just go with the RS manual and use 15w?

@Dolphi...contact @Flou here on the hub - he is also in Stellenbosch....we did his Fox fork oil seal service/lower oil change...all in the time it took me to drink a beer( Thanks Flou!)...

It was quite simplistic in the end...

@Droo, i want to check (& change) my dust seal oil in a Manitou fork lowers...anything different that i need to know from a Fox fork? (since this is from my "old bike" I intend to keep the dust wiper seal intact, unless they are poor condition 9which i think they are not!)...i just want to change the damper oil and clean the dust foam wipers and put them back in...

Manitou air absolute fork...

@Droo, i want to check (& change) my dust seal oil in a Manitou fork lowers...anything different that i need to know from a Fox fork? (since this is from my "old bike" I intend to keep the dust wiper seal intact, unless they are poor condition 9which i think they are not!)...i just want to change the damper oil and clean the dust foam wipers and put them back in...

Manitou air absolute fork...

That depends on whether your Fox is an open bath or cartridge damper. If it's a FIT, then the procedure is exactly the same. 16 cc per leg of 10W fully synthetic oil will do the job.

For a full walk through, all the manuals are on Manitou's site.

If you don't read the instructions, the most important thing to know is that the 8mm allen key on the damper leg screws IN, not out. I've seen many a busted fork from getting this one wrong.

• 3 months later...