Ibis Mojo HDR 650b - Build & Review

Iwan Kemp

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also considered these, but Omnico didn't even know they existed.

http://www.eastoncyc...-5/category/21/

http://www.eastoncycling.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/486x450/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/h/a/haven-wheels-blk_6_1.jpg

Havens roll beautifully (and look @#ing hot), but their hubs are, erm, not that great. My rear hub keeps coming loose (apparently fixed with new models though) and the freehub has made that cringe-worthy slipping sound about 5 times in 600km.

Guest Omega Man

Hmmm, I've driven both and know without a shadow of a doubt what the purist answer should always be.

Lol. says the 1 series owner. Maybe it's more like buying a Jetta instead of an Alfa Brera. :drool:

Edited by Omega Man

And yet people still buy Shimano! The mind boggles.

This point could only be valid if Hopes were the same price as shimanos.

Kinda like saying, why do some people buy a vw tiguan when the audi q5 is so much better?

And if hope can make a true 1 finger lever like the new shimanos, then they would be perfect.

I do think the clicking noise the hope floating rotors make when they get hot is really cool though

Guest Omega Man

This point could only be valid if Hopes were the same price as shimanos.

Kinda like saying, why do some people buy a vw tiguan when the audi q5 is so much better?

And if hope can make a true 1 finger lever like the new shimanos, then they would be perfect.

I do think the clicking noise the hope floating rotors make when they get hot is really cool though

I've just checked on CRC and Hope M4's are cheaper than XTR's and Saints. Which is a fair comparison in my opinion.I'm not sure what you mean about a 1 finger lever TBH. I've got 2 set of Hopes and I brake with 1 finger on both bikes.Let's not make this a brakes pissing contest tho. This is about Crow's SICKKKK new ride which we both think is stunning.

Edited by Omega Man

Havens roll beautifully (and look @#ing hot), but their hubs are, erm, not that great. My rear hub keeps coming loose (apparently fixed with new models though) and the freehub has made that cringe-worthy slipping sound about 5 times in 600km.

Yeah, good point. Considered Havens when I bought my HD years ago and since then they haven't made much in-roads into sorting their hubs issues. Baffles the mind considering that "cheap" hubs like Superstar, Halo and plenty others do not have any issues.

Guest Omega Man

Yeah, good point. Considered Havens when I bought my HD years ago and since then they haven't made much in-roads into sorting their hubs issues. Baffles the mind considering that "cheap" hubs like Superstar, Halo and plenty others do not have any issues.

Why don't you get some BBBZZZZZZZZZ from Superstar? and they are doing a carbon AM rim now too aren't they?

Why don't you get some BBBZZZZZZZZZ from Superstar? and they are doing a carbon AM rim now too aren't they?

1. Not in 650b (yet)

2. Not so sure about carbon rims on the cheap.

3. XD1 freehub body not available (yet)

1. Not in 650b (yet)

2. Not so sure about carbon rims on the cheap.

3. XD1 freehub body not available (yet)

I cannot wait for that, and a 10sp version of the mammoth cluster.

Or - is the actuation ratio on the XX1 the same as X9 10sp? May have to fiddle a bit to get it to work... cheapo X09...

Lol. says the 1 series owner. Maybe it's more like buying a Jetta instead of an Alfa Brera. :drool:

I own one for a reason. Do not be fooled by its looks, at speed it handles like a fully loaded Intense Carbine. Quite unexpectedly so.

Anyway, back to Crow's ride!

I've just checked on CRC and Hope M4's are cheaper than XTR's and Saints. Which is a fair comparison in my opinion.I'm not sure what you mean about a 1 finger lever TBH. I've got 2 set of Hopes and I brake with 1 finger on both bikes.Let's not make this a brakes pissing contest tho. This is about Crow's SICKKKK new ride which we both think is stunning.

Fair enough, I was actually thinking about XT's compared to M4's ... Hope don't make a lower priced XT equivalent, and if they did it would be Hope all the way :thumbup:

With the lever thing, I mean that the new shimanos are designed purely as a 1 finger lever. The hopes are a 2 finger design, that also work in a 1 finger application. I just find the shimano levers really comfy to use, and think it would be awesome if hope could offer an option like that..

But anyway not trying to start a pissing contest... back to Crows awesome bike :drool:

Guest Omega Man

Fair enough, I was actually thinking about XT's compared to M4's ... Hope don't make a lower priced XT equivalent, and if they did it would be Hope all the way :thumbup:

With the lever thing, I mean that the new shimanos are designed purely as a 1 finger lever. The hopes are a 2 finger design, that also work in a 1 finger application. I just find the shimano levers really comfy to use, and think it would be awesome if hope could offer an option like that..

But anyway not trying to start a pissing contest... back to Crows awesome bike :drool:

Oh ok. See what you mean now.@ crow. More pics please.

Edited by Omega Man