Tour du Langkawi - Worthless performance by SA

sernoche1

In the history of SA's Elite mens particapation at Tour du worthless.Waiting for the excuses. sernoche12008-03-05 19:30:08

Worthless? And exactly what were you expecting? Assume you are aware that there was a 19-rider break that gained more than 20 minutes on the field on Stage 1 which pretty much ended any hopes of there being a traditional stage-race battle. At least SA had Ian McLeod in that break and he finished 9th overall in the end.

Add to the that fact that the organisers took the mountain stage out (with less than 3 weeks to go) and replaced it with a molehill stage which cancelled out the hopes of any top climbers from making a major impact on the event.

Nolan Hoffman got a few top-10 places in the sprints which is very encouraging.

Now, here's the question, did Italy, France, Germany, Australia etc send any national teams? No. You know why? Because their best riders race for trade teams that have their own racing schedules. South Africa's national teams at international events should be used to develop young riders. Four of this country's pro teams are now classified as UCI Continental teams and Barloworld is classified as Pro Continental. This means that we can only really expect to send our top riders on a national team to the Commonwealth Games, World Championships and Olympic Games, not the Tour de Langkawi. This also means that our expectations of the performances of our national team should be adjusted accordingly.

In the history of SA's Elite mens particapation at Tour du Langkawi' date=' 2008 performance goes down as the worst result ever by our boys.Rumours from within say Team management was worthless.Waiting for the excuses. [/quote']

Just love it AngryConfused when people blame the coach or management for a players or teams poor performance (Talking in the broad context and I dont mean the SA team did poorly in this race)

IMO the level of competition at the TDL is getting higher every year and the race this year was somewhat different without the Genting Highlands climb leaving the GC open to more riders.

Nolan competing well in the sprints and often placing in the top 10 for the day

Ian Mac finishing in the top 10 overall

SA team in the top ten with 25 teams competing (5th overall after stage 8 yesterday).

Perhaps (?) it was the worst result for a SA team in TDL, but still not to bad me thinks.

bwaahahaha! Rumour has it you say... When someone aims straight at management like that you know it is not about the result, but about a grudge with the manager.....

It is also the first time in the history of lTDL that the course did not have at least two to three selective stages. Also the flatteset Langakwi in the history of the race, etc, etc. It is also this first time that a manager from a Pro Team had to just collect the riders instead of giving training camps to prepare them. It is also the first time that the SA team riders had to race against Pro Tour teams in hard conditons at Worldsview, just two days before this race( and the SA riders doing pretty well there) You just being narrow minded and acting stupid

Anways, it was great to work with these guys at my first TDL and they gave it stick everyday despite having a bad manager like myself.
Austin2008-02-17 04:31:03

OMG!!! You all have so much to say, I tell you what if any of you were any better than riders or management you would have been there please reserve your comments until you have facts oh and by the way why don't you apologise to barry!!!!!!!!!!!!!

O, and "skuilnaam" they at least had the best mechanic and soigneur, so at least that made up for the me being a bad manager

Austin2008-02-17 04:28:52

sernoche1, can i make a few suggestions to you...

1 - get a life

2 - get a braincell or two

3 - apologise to the team and their manager (Austin)

as has been pointed out, they raced Worlds Views which was tough and thewas a last-minute change to the route, and the team had been selected based on the original route. that they still did WELL is excellent and shows that they have the ability and with the right managers etc (and consistency in this) they will do even better in future.

sernoche1' date=' can i make a few suggestions to you...

1 - get a life

2 - get a braincell or two

3 - apologise to the team and their manager (Austin)

as has been pointed out, they raced Worlds Views which was tough and thewas a last-minute change to the route, and the team had been selected based on the original route. that they still did WELL is excellent and shows that they have the ability and with the right managers etc (and consistency in this) they will do even better in future.

[/quote']

agreed.....although not able to follow the tour I think it childish for someone who was not there (by the sound of things) to post comment like sernoche1 has done.

Thumbs%20Up

Barry has always been a great manager' date=' and will remain so.... Well done Barry and the SA Team.[/quote']

Thumbs%20Up

In the history of SA's Elite mens particapation at Tour du Langkawi' date=' 2008 performance goes down as the worst result ever by our boys.Rumours from within say Team management was worthless.Waiting for the excuses. [/quote']

With an arrogant comment like this you don't deserve anyone's time on this forum.

I usually never express myself in this way, but you truley seem like an idiot...

Either you're a multiple stage-racing champ or you're a local and have no place to make comments on something you haven't experienced.

And by the way, I think the team did a sterling job. If Nolan wasn't taken out in the one sprint I think he could have got a top 3. And the rest of the team rode as well as they could, if Genting was in the race it would have been a very different result.

Okay, I realize I've contradicted myself and given you my time, but hey...

20080217_122503_29.jpg

Clapthe picture shows that nolan might have been 6th place but not too far behind..He is sprinting against older and much more expierenced men than him..With the proper pampering and support he needs, he is going to be a great champion..Respect