Royal Mail

DR ◣◢

I've heard some scary stories about Royal Mail but unfortunately it was the only shipping option available from Merlin Cycles.

Your item, posted on 31/10/13 with reference RU.......GB has been passed to the overseas postal service for delivery in SOUTH AFRICA

I take it that means it has shipped to SA already and that I need to find a local tracking number for it?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard some scary stories about Royal Mail but unfortunately it was the only shipping option available from Merlin Cycles.

Your item, posted on 31/10/13 with reference RU.......GB has been passed to the overseas postal service for delivery in SOUTH AFRICA

I take it that means it has shipped to SA already and that I need to find a local tracking number for it?

Yes. Phone up the central Customs number 011 961 6000 and give them the royal mail tracking number, they will give you the local one which you can use on the SAPO website to track and trace.

Just received two items from Royal Mail.

2 and 2.5 weeks respectively.

You should be fine.

There should be a local tracking number available.

I feel your pain! I had that message for about seven days and it changed to this:

Your item, posted on 24/10/13 with reference RJ_________GB has arrived in JOHANNESBURG SOUTH AFRICA and is being processed for delivery.

It has said this since Tuesday or Wednesday Last week. I was just about to start a thread when I saw yours

Edited by Nofearnofun

I feel your pain! I had that message for about seven days and it changed to this:

Your item, posted on 24/10/13 with reference RJ_________GB has arrived in JOHANNESBURG SOUTH AFRICA and is being processed for delivery.

It has said this since Tuesday or Wednesday Last week. I was just about to start a thread when I saw yours

Is that your Superstar order? Mail them on JIMCCustomerServices@postoffice.co.za

I did that last night and Corli replied this morning.

Is that your Superstar order? Mail them on JIMCCustomerServices@postoffice.co.za

I did that last night and Corli replied this morning.

Yeah, feels like its been a moth since I ordered the stuff... :blush:

Will give it a try, tried the phone number above but no answer.

Yeah, feels like its been a moth since I ordered the stuff... :blush:

Will give it a try, tried the phone number above but no answer.

Try the mail. I did get through very quickly on the landline number this morning but I held for a while before somebody from customer services answered.

Try the mail. I did get through very quickly on the landline number this morning but I held for a while before somebody from customer services answered.

It must have been tea hour whe I called, got through now and recieved a enw tracking number. parcel has been at "JHB INT mail centre" since Friday. Now trying to get ahold of them...

Edit: That was fun speaking t a new trainee with no supervisor to help her! Apparently I need to go and fetch my parcel in Kempton park. :blush:

Edited by Nofearnofun

The scary stories really stem from the SA POST and the poor manner in which they deal with mail. Things generally go into slow mo once the parcel hits our stores and then sits at customs. Then it gets pawed about and eventually delivered on some random schedule to my local PO. Only after much harassing and phone calls do I have my parcel in my hands. Even the delivery note that is supposed to be put in my po box is another departemenent within my local PO. No one can answer me why I dont receive these slips - its always somebody else's responsibility it seems.

Same with Parcel force, all good tracking wise till it gets to SA. then the brakes are applied, and it will take so much longer to travel 80km from ORT to Midrand than it took to fly 13000km from the UK.

my only advice when using Royal Mail, or any untracked service - make sure you know somebody at your local PO who can keep an eye out for you and possibly ring you when they get something - will cost much chocolate (bribes? absolutely).

These days you can put your overseas tracking number into track and trace http://www.parceltrack.co.za/ and it will give you the local tracking number.

If you need to go to the International mail centre (ICM) at Joburg airport, then there will be duties to pay as the parcel has been held by customs for incorrect duty allocation, else would have been forwarded on to PO.

Easy to do, no hassles at the IMC, just drive there, give tracking number, pay duties and collect your parcel.

BTW, I always use regular mail whether from the UK, China or wherever and always arrives and is easy to track if you know what you are doing.

These days you can put your overseas tracking number into track and trace http://www.parceltrack.co.za/ and it will give you the local tracking number.

If you need to go to the International mail centre (ICM) at Joburg airport, then there will be duties to pay as the parcel has been held by customs for incorrect duty allocation, else would have been forwarded on to PO.

Easy to do, no hassles at the IMC, just drive there, give tracking number, pay duties and collect your parcel.

BTW, I always use regular mail whether from the UK, China or wherever and always arrives and is easy to track if you know what you are doing.

Royal mail does not have a tracking number, hence our frustration.

Royal mail does not have a tracking number, hence our frustration.

The OP stated he had a tracking number which would have come via parcel force by the Royal mail and can be tracked http://www.royalmail.com/track-trace and then locally.

Most Royal mail is tracked these days, it is the supplier laziness not to advise the tracking number, but if you email and ask them for it, they will usually give it to you.

Edited by shaper

I also called this morning and waited for about 2mins for the call to be answered and then got my new SAPO tracking no. This parcel is now 3 days behind the other part of the order that came via DHL(It was all supposed to be via DHL)

What happens if you live in Cape Town and your parcel is in Joburg?

What happens if you live in Cape Town and your parcel is in Joburg?

Am sure you can organize via the international mail centre in cape town, either get the parcel shipped there or pay the duties to get the parcel released. Next time you are phoning ICM joburg, ask them. As am in Joburg have never had to do it, but seems the logical thing to do

Am sure you can organize via the international mail centre in cape town, either get the parcel shipped there or pay the duties to get the parcel released. Next time you are phoning ICM joburg, ask them. As am in Joburg have never had to do it, but seems the logical thing to do

It's supposed be coming to Cape Town. Surely they would notify me if any duties are due and then forward the parcel on from there once I've paid?