Calling the Fly fishing manne

Pieter1

About yellows, I have always found huge activity and really hot fishing whenever the swallows were feeding over a certain part of the river, often in the late afternoon. I suppose if they are hunting the insects that hatch from the river, the yellows would be hunting the insects in the river before they hatch. (Perhaps "always" isn't a word one should use in fishing talk.) I've never caught yellows further upstream than Douglas on the Vaal and most of my yellow fishing happens on the lower Orange, so I'm not sure if this will hold true near Gauteng.

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

About yellows, I have always found huge activity and really hot fishing whenever the swallows were feeding over a certain part of the river, often in the late afternoon. I suppose if they are hunting the insects that hatch from the river, the yellows would be hunting the insects in the river before they hatch. (Perhaps "always" isn't a word one should use in fishing talk.) I've never caught yellows further upstream than Douglas on the Vaal and most of my yellow fishing happens on the lower Orange, so I'm not sure if this will hold true near Gauteng.

No, defnitely holds some truth, that is why I suggested earlier to take 15 minutes on arrival and just sit down and watch the river...turn over a rock or two, and scope out the potential lies and activity of all the animals. The summer the main hatch is a size 14 brown caddis at dusk...there is as second hatch but sometimes it's too dark to see....this is the hatch that every yellow fisher dreams of, the hatch of the big white caddis aka macrostemum capense in size 8 to 10. It's about 60-90 minutes of pure adrenaline before it's too dark to fish. Fish on almost every cast....

Winter time is mayflies hatching...baetidae and midges.

PS you guys have some seriaas LM yellows in your waters....

Edited by rouxtjie

A very handy book.....

Aquatic Invertebrates of Southern African Rivers -field Guide, A Gerber and MJM Gerber. Institute for Water Quality Studies, DWAF

Private Bag X313, Pretoria, 0001

Tel no 012 808 0374

It has colour pictures, sized pictures, descriptions etc etc

I got the book for free from them but this was in 2005. Worth a try.

post-24908-0-76937700-1383765769_thumb.jpg

Edited by Big H*

A very handy book.....

Aquatic Invertebrates of Southern African Rivers -field Guide, A Gerber and MJM Gerber. Institute for Water Quality Studies, DWAF

Private Bag X313, Pretoria, 0001

Tel no 012 808 0374

It has colour pictures, sized pictures, descriptions etc etc

I got the book for free from them but this was in 2005. Worth a try.

blixem, would love a copy of that....understanding what your target specie eats and when is time well spent.

Any stoneflies in that book oom? I have only found them right below the dam wall at certain venue...it is said that stoneflies are the first to go if the water becomes polluted.

Fantastic pictures of ol baetidae there oom....big hatches in the winter of that may in the winter.

Edited by rouxtjie

I use a foam hopper for an indicator since it gives me another column of water ie top water to cover. With yellowfish it's all about covering the water columns in a systematic way. So if I have a dry(in my case a foam springkaan aka hopper) I cover the top for the odd gele wanting it, but it also helps me detect strikes, 2 birds one stone...then I normally have a heavy caddis larva rolling on the bottom and a smaller brassie or hotspot nymph or cdc nymph in front of it, acting as a mayfly or caddis trying to get to the top to emerge. In the late afternoon I drop the heavier caddis larva and shorten the length from my indicator to the point fly to about 10cm. If there is a hatch of the night time egg lying caddis it's action on both the dry and the point, and you might get a double on...I would then switch my hopper to a elk hair caddis or airhead on the dry.

This is just the summer technique, in the winter it's top water all the way. But you work harder for your fish, they are generally bigger though.

Sounds like underwater hebrew to me.

Must admit this is one sport I am totally ignorant about.

Snoek on a handline is more my style.

Sounds like underwater hebrew to me.

Must admit this is one sport I am totally ignorant about.

Snoek on a handline is more my style.

hahahah its quite simple actually....let me see if I can find a pic. All you have to do is let the river take your flies through the different water columns...top, mid and bottom as the speed its flowing.

post-9825-0-98146400-1383803212_thumb.jpg

post-9825-0-14653700-1383803223_thumb.jpg

hahahah its quite simple actually....let me see if I can find a pic. All you have to do is let the river take your flies through the different water columns...top, mid and bottom as the speed its flowing.

I have a pack rod which is for fly or spinning which fits onto my backpack for hiking or on the bike :thumbup:

blixem, would love a copy of that....understanding what your target specie eats and when is time well spent.

Any stoneflies in that book oom? I have only found them right below the dam wall at certain venue...it is said that stoneflies are the first to go if the water becomes polluted.

Fantastic pictures of ol baetidae there oom....big hatches in the winter of that may in the winter.

Yes they are all there, about a half inch thick, beetles, dragonflies, damsels etc all there. Remember it is only in aquatic form that is discussed, not hatched form. What is cool is the little thumbnail showing actual size. Give you the ability to understand that you #8 GRHE will not work. If unavailable I will scan once in Aliwal and send as Pdf.

post-24908-0-22832000-1383805451_thumb.jpg

Edited by Big H*

Gaan vanmiddag ñ paar flies kry vir die naweek. Daai tegniek wat mens ñ wetfly vat en dan aan ñ dryfly sy hoek vas maak. Werk dit? I daar ñ punt aan dit?

In that pdf...page three, top....that is your bread and butter on the vaal river...macrostemum capense and hydropsyche, imitate them in size and colour and behavioral drift and you WILL catch fish....actually you will catch plenty.

Jis it even has trico's on page 2....great book thanks again oom H :thumbup:

Edited by rouxtjie

Gaan vanmiddag ñ paar flies kry vir die naweek. Daai tegniek wat mens ñ wetfly vat en dan aan ñ dryfly sy hoek vas maak. Werk dit? I daar ñ punt aan dit?

Tip, werk soos n bom....dry and dropper...maak net seker jy kry n dry wat mooi dryf en nie konstant floatant nodig het nie...Vra vir die ouens vir n chernobyl ant of foam hopper.

Tip, werk soos n bom....dry and dropper...maak net seker jy kry n dry wat mooi dryf en nie konstant floatant nodig het nie...Vra vir die ouens vir n chernobyl ant of foam hopper.

Awesome.