Calling the Fly fishing manne

Pieter1

Just don't get peeved if it turns out your wife is a better fly fisherman than you - I hear women generally make better fly fishers :)

Then buy her a book to read while you fish.

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They say carp is insane, gets you onto your backing in a matter of seconds. Its my next goal

Carp fly fishing is absolute stealth fishing. I landed 11 in one day with a the largest a six kg monster. Used a seven wt rod. It is great fun.

*Sensation Combo

-5/6 wt Stok, graphite,medium-fast action.

-Sensation Viking reel

-Floating line

-Backing 20lb (ten minste 50m)

-DoubleX leader (3X dikte)

-Braided loop

-R499

Net soos fietsry, dit is net die begin. As die gogga byt kos dit net geld........ LEKKER,!!!!!

Net soos fietsry, dit is net die begin. As die gogga byt kos dit net geld........ LEKKER,!!!!!

Ja jis Oom as ek kyk wat my friende al op dit spandeer het dink ek, ek het dieselfde uitdruking op my gesig as waneer hulle na fietsry goed kyk...

Cannot wait to relocate to Aliwal North, Lady Grey net oor die bult. Also want to drift the Kraai. My fly tying kit and box of material was the first stuffies I packed.

Only Grunter on the Breede can be more infuriating! :cursing:

Casting to tailing Grunter? @#@#/^*^^^ I know that sh%¥. There is a technique to it though, apparently!!!!

Enjoy it H, some of the best trout waters in the country, and some dams holding some monsters in the EC highlands. You must fish Molteno and Dodge(Dordrecht), dams if you get a chance. Well worth a weekend on a farm

Carp fly fishing is absolute stealth fishing. I landed 11 in one day with a the largest a six kg monster. Used a seven wt rod. It is great fun.

I cannot wait to land a nice carp or any carp for that matter :whistling: . Where do you usually go to catch the carp on fly?

Cannot wait to relocate to Aliwal North, Lady Grey net oor die bult. Also want to drift the Kraai. My fly tying kit and box of material was the first stuffies I packed.

Baie jelas....I only travel for small stream troot on the dry....my 3wt sage combo is a pearl....presents dry's like no other

I cannot wait to land a nice carp or any carp for that matter :whistling: . Where do you usually go to catch the carp on fly?

Dams...river is very tough due to the stalking aspect and them being in the deeper pools.

The thing that makes carp fishing on the fly so hard is that you will only catch them if their are actively feeding....they are impossible to entice into feeding if they are just cruising or holding. Second thing is you have be stealthy, that means long thin leaders and tippets that are degreased...spotting some feeding fish of the bank of the dam while you are leopard crawling...standing up will spook them, you then find a pod and crawl or walk hunched very slowly to a potential spot where they will be feeding in 10 minutes time, you have actually then anticipate where they will be. Once you are in the spot you will look for dust clouds in the water about knee deep...this where they are feeding, follow the dust clouds and anticipate where they will be next.....YOU GET ONE CAST, SO MAKE IT COUNT. Present you carp fritz or algea fly very gently and wait for it to sink, take up slack and DONT STRIKE just flick you wrist to set the hook....the carp will essentially hook himself. Because you use smaller hooks you can pull the hook out of its mouth or straighten the hook if you strike to hard.

We went to a farm dam east of Witbank. You go to the inlet where they are feeding. I used a black tungsten beadhead nymph with some gold tinsel in the body. You attach the fly with a piece of fluorocarbon 1,5 time longer than your rod. You absolutely stealth to the river or dam bank and with outstretched hand lower the fly into the feeding target fish's periphery. This all without splashing or heavy footfalls. If you see the fish turn it is too late. You do not feel the carp take and quickly get the hang of it. When you are on it is the freshwater equivalent of a bonefish. Brutal and very light touch on the drag and patience........ BUR MOEROFVA FUN????????

We went to a farm dam east of Witbank. You go to the inlet where they are feeding. I used a black tungsten beadhead nymph with some gold tinsel in the body. You attach the fly with a piece of fluorocarbon 1,5 time longer than your rod. You absolutely stealth to the river or dam bank and with outstretched hand lower the fly into the feeding target fish's periphery. This all without splashing or heavy footfalls. If you see the fish turn it is too late. You do not feel the carp take and quickly get the hang of it. When you are on it is the freshwater equivalent of a bonefish. Brutal and very light touch on the drag and patience........ BUR MOEROFVA FUN????????

Net so oom...netso.

Fluoro vs mono is a very interesting debate, especially with fish that can rev....fluoro is cool because its invisible under water and thinner for the same strength but has zero tippet protection since it doesnt stretch. Mono stretches just enough to protect your tippet on the initial run but is thicker...I prefer the rod to protect my tippet, so soft tip, and then use fluoro.

Was oom al by sterkfontein vir sightfishing vir gele's? Vir my is daar niks beter as stalk & fish nie....dis die pinnacle van flyfishing.

Edited by rouxtjie

Net so oom...netso.

Fluoro vs mono is a very interesting debate, especially with fish that can rev....fluoro is cool because its invisible under water and thinner for the same strength but has zero tippet protection since it doesnt stretch. Mono stretches just enough to protect your tippet on the initial run but is thicker...I prefer the rod to protect my tippet, so soft tip, and then use fluoro.

Was oom al by sterkfontein vir sightfishing vir gele's? Vir my is daar niks beter as stalk & fish nie....dis die pinnacle van flyfishing.

Ons moet iets reel. Ek raak somer opgewonde!

Net so oom...netso.

Nog nie maar het dit al by my "special stream" in die Oos Vrystaat gedoe. Ongelukkig is dit nou 'n huurplaas en die walle het toegegroei en die rou riool van die dorp loop nou daar. Neels se dam is nog daar, groot helder en hy het 'n rubber duck vir drifting

Ons moet iets reel. Ek raak somer opgewonde!

Sterkies is insane Piet...daar is nie n beter plek nie.

Vaal rivier is naby genoeg vir n dag trip en ek ken die spots redelik goed...Eendekuil is my gunsteling, en daar is monsters in daai water.

Nog nie maar het dit al by my "special stream" in die Oos Vrystaat gedoe. Ongelukkig is dit nou 'n huurplaas en die walle het toegegroei en die rou riool van die dorp loop nou daar. Neels se dam is nog daar, groot helder en hy het 'n rubber duck vir drifting

Selfde met die vaal....maar hy "flush" homself darem een keer n jaar met die reens....aan die plus kant(as daar so iets is met rou riool), die vaal se biomassa het baie opgegaan sedert hulle riool laat afloop in hom, veral net onder die barrage, dit stabiliseer meer as dit by parys(sssshhhh, die beste grootbek geelvis waters...dis n geheim ;) ) se omgewing kom.