Pepper Spray

ivr32

Guest Latent Blue

CO2 guns (that shoots the big heavy balls) should prove effective against even the biggest of dogs... no?

As an ex policeman, I can safely say that the pepper spray does NOT work on the many dogs and some stoned humans, that I have had to use it on in 10years as an officer. I can't vouch for the SWAT direct stream stuff, but pepper spray. No good!

I must agree with you on the human one Saturday I had a guy start shouting and swearing at me he wants a cigarette I asked why he feels it necessary to speak to me like that he started getting agro I gave him a blast of the direct stream swat he ran three steps and came back at me long story short I had to hand out a few punches and finished off putting my specialized shoe well up his crack when he eventually ran away

Now I am confused. What will happen when I use it on approaching boerboel?

If you can run faster than the boerboel you should be safe.

CO2 guns (that shoots the big heavy balls) should prove effective against even the biggest of dogs... no?

NO.

Dogs are tough,

I have seen a boerboel that was shot 3 times with a 9mm and was still walking around at the vet.

He apparently chomped the robber good and proper.

My boerboel got beaten by 3 robbers with bats and carried on at them.

and no pepper spray does not work on DOGS.

Many moons ago I used to ride alone a fair amount in the early mornings. I carried a taser for protection. Got charged by a few unfenced dogs and all I did was hold the taser up and press the button. The mere trrrrr sound of it made the dogs back off.

+1 on the water bottle. Whatever sports drink you've got in there should distract it for long enough to make your escape. Otherwise just see the chase as interval training with extra motivation. Dogs will usually give up the chase once you're off their turf.

Guest Latent Blue

NO.

Dogs are tough,

I have seen a boerboel that was shot 3 times with a 9mm and was still walking around at the vet.

He apparently chomped the robber good and proper.

My boerboel got beaten by 3 robbers with bats and carried on at them.

and no pepper spray does not work on DOGS.

Ja, but boerbuls doesnt count as "normal" dogs!

Ja, but boerbuls doesnt count as "normal" dogs!

The cattle prod works just fine on boerbulls.

The trick is how to turn them around so you can jam it up where the sun don't shine. :devil:

+1 on the water bottle. Whatever sports drink you've got in there should distract it for long enough to make your escape. Otherwise just see the chase as interval training with extra motivation. Dogs will usually give up the chase once you're off their turf.

Many many years ago when I started cycling, I went out with my Dad - he says - "just up there near xxx house, a bull terrier will run out at us - use your water bottle..."

So I duly threw the water bottle at said dog.... got him between the eyes... and the old man nearly fell off the bike laughing....

I did notice (afterwards) that he also put me between him and the dogs house too - nothing like bit of experience.... :)

Squirting dogs usually works well - squirting their owner also works well....

get the swat direct stream one, the cloud based ones are dangerous, if the wind is blowing in the wrong direction you are going to be crying.

the direct stream shoots a red stream of the stuff about 8 feet or so, so you don't have to be in close contact. i have used mine once in a attepted bike jacking and almost felt sorry for the guy( almost when i stopped kicking the crap out of the ****), that stuff is proper woes!

I must agree with you on the human one Saturday I had a guy start shouting and swearing at me he wants a cigarette I asked why he feels it necessary to speak to me like that he started getting agro I gave him a blast of the direct stream swat he ran three steps and came back at me long story short I had to hand out a few punches and finished off putting my specialized shoe well up his crack when he eventually ran away

How is it then that one will work and another didn't? I also ride with my canister of direct stream pepper spray, but thankfully never had to use it yet. I did pull it out once for an agro taxi driver than opened his door with a srew driver in the hand... but he got back in the taxi an spat off when he saw i had something in my hand.

I've read somewhere on the hub about this direct stream one and how affective it is, hence i got one

Personally (unless its more than a couple!), I dont try and do the quick getaway thing with dogs. I prefer to stop and keep the bike between the dog and myself until the novelty of a funny looking moving object wears off with the dog! A couple of choice words also helps!

Many moons ago I used to ride alone a fair amount in the early mornings. I carried a taser for protection. Got charged by a few unfenced dogs and all I did was hold the taser up and press the button. The mere trrrrr sound of it made the dogs back off.

This does work, after I have charged ours up and tested it, the dogs are nowhere to be seen! The crackling sound certainly does something to them.