SRAM GXP Bottom Bracket issue

LazyLab

I have just serviced by BB due to a creaking noise. I found that the plastic dust cover on the drive side actually comes out of the BB cup leaving a gap of approx 4mm for dust etc. to get into the bearing. This is the second consecutive BB that suffers from this.

As the dust cover also acts as the "spacer" between the axle and bearing, there is play on the axle / bearing interface. The bearing is still OK on this BB, but the previous one failed because of this. I now space the gap between the plastic duct cover and crank to stop it from coming out.

Anyone else come across this? Any other BB brands (besides Chris King) that will not do this?

I have just serviced by BB due to a creaking noise. I found that the plastic dust cover on the drive side actually comes out of the BB cup leaving a gap of approx 4mm for dust etc. to get into the bearing. This is the second consecutive BB that suffers from this.

As the dust cover also acts as the "spacer" between the axle and bearing, there is play on the axle / bearing interface. The bearing is still OK on this BB, but the previous one failed because of this. I now space the gap between the plastic duct cover and crank to stop it from coming out.

Anyone else come across this? Any other BB brands (besides Chris King) that will not do this?

Had major issues with GXP bb's. Went BSA shimano on all my bikes and happy as larry.

phone cape cycle systems I had the same problem they sent me a updated replacement cap that had a little retaining lip on and it worked a charm

Had major issues with GXP bb's. Went BSA shimano on all my bikes and happy as larry.

I also went through GXP bb's at the rate of 1 every second month (I do ride a lot) to make it worse is that I use a Quarq and can not just swop it out. Eventually bit the bullet and went with a ceramic. I am still riding the same one I put in before Epic.

GXP is a bad design.

Are Shimano and SRAM the same thread size, axle diameter, cup width etc? I run X0 cranks.

The bb's are not interchangeable.

Thanks USXORF. Guess I'll give Cape Cycles a ring; although I'm sure the standard BB also comes with a small retaining lip. For some reasing it does not last - second BB in 3 months!

Newboy: Which ceramic BB did you get?

Are Shimano and SRAM the same thread size, axle diameter, cup width etc? I run X0 cranks.

Nope...you are stuck with GXP I am afraid.

I also went through GXP bb's at the rate of 1 every second month (I do ride a lot) to make it worse is that I use a Quarq and can not just swop it out. Eventually bit the bullet and went with a ceramic. I am still riding the same one I put in before Epic.

GXP is a bad design.

Agree, also I suspect their bearing are smaller and wear out quite quick.

I've seen adapters that allow you to use a GXP crank with a Shimano BB, but it was a few years back.

IMO the only reason for those little plastic goodies between the bearing and the axle is so they wear out and force you to buy a new BB instead of just replacing the bearings...

I agree with your last comment droo - think they needed a "weak" spot to ensure something fails quickly.

I used the plastic dust cover from my previous BB, shaped it to the correct thickness and used it in "reverse" as a spacer to keep the plastic cover from moving. Seems to do the trick but really wanted a better engineered solution!

I put a o-ring between the crank and that plastic sleeve thing - stops it moving around and coming out