ISP vs SL2 - Advice Needed

gyro

My frames cracked - need to replace it.  Have narrowed it down to Giant Advanced ISP and Specialized SL2.  Can't make up my mind which one.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the ISP, its an awesome ride.

I dont think you will have issues with the mast breaking - if it does its a warrenty issue and you will get a new frame. As for re-sale you do get a couple of cm play out of the seat post - so cut it on its highest limit and dont use the spacers...

But at the end of the day a personal choice - all the top end frames are very good and comes down to what you like most and are willing to pay.

I am very happy with the ISP though

Go with the ISP. Dont worry about breakint it... will be covered under warranty, don't worry about re-sale, you'll end up selling it to someone of a similar height to yourself, and do what MacPhisto suggests when cutting it to give yourself the best option. 

I have the SL2 and it is a great bike. Stiff as hell and very responsive. You will not make a mistake with the SL2.

I doubt the guarantee will cover an accident. Only Time was smart to make it so that you can actually cut off the ISP as far down as you like/need to and then use a normal clamp and post.

I doubt the guarantee will cover an accident. Only Time was smart to make it so that you can actually cut off the ISP as far down as you like/need to and then use a normal clamp and post.

No, Insurance covers the accident breakageWink, and if the guy could afford a TIME frame, he wouldn't be asking the question over Specialized or giant...Big%20smile

I have the T-Mobile ISP and although being a confessed Giant fan I don't think the SL2 will offer you much if anything over the Giant. Thumbs%20Up

The ISP is superb and except for being a little too stiff (the road vibrations are transferred to your a$$ pronto) there is no faulting it. Approve

Resale is a non issue since the 2nd hand bike market is so fantastic regardless of what bike you buy (NOT).Pinch

The SL2 is a more conventional frame, with a lot less sloping so personal preference on looks will be a deciding factor. It's also predominantly black and while black "was" cool, everyone knows that white is the new black!!! Cool

Get a look at both built up with the finishing kit you plan of building it up with and decide from there, at this end of the frame market it comes down to price and looks.

Good luck.

Thanks shortlegs - that's where my head is at.  BUT, the SL2 being slightly cheaper and newer I had to consider it.

AGAIN..

Your decision should be

on

1. Ride quality /

comfort

2. Weight

3. Looks
you aint gonna find any Real difference in

stiffness between the 2 .. both top-end bikes

good luck..

AGAIN..

Your decision should be on

Ride quality / comfort

Weight

Looksyou aint gonna find any Real difference in stiffness between the 2 .. both top-end bikes

good luck..

Some sense - thank you!

and weighted in that order. i.e. looks should be the least of your worries.

The SL2 is the bike to have. The IPS is a good bike, but its a 2006/7 bike you riding. Just been to a cycling shop and the owner of teh shop wants to sell the bike asap. It sbeen on the  self for almost a year in the shop. Maybe you can get it for a bargain from them. It is also R2000.00 more than the SL2 and with the SL2 you get a current year bike not a 1 year old or 2 year old