Shock pump

ThePubSA

Hey hubsterz

Need a new shock pump.The giant one i have releases air pressure as you disconnect it,so can never get a propper setting and is becoming a pain.

Need you huberz to point me towards a decent quality ,cheapish shock pump that will retain the desired psi once disconnected.

Ty in advance :thumbup:

I may be wrong, but it was once explained to me that the air that releases when one disconnects the shock pump is the air in the shock pump hose. So therefore it does not affect the pressure in the shock itself. But if you reconnect it, your pressure reading WILL be less than what you pump it to previously, as aid once again goes into the hose and pump chamber, thus creating a bigger volume and lower pressure.

So there's a good chance your shock pump is fine.

Was explained to me in exactly the same way. Don't know about the calibration of different shock pumps though...

I may be wrong, but it was once explained to me that the air that releases when one disconnects the shock pump is the air in the shock pump hose. So therefore it does not affect the pressure in the shock itself. But if you reconnect it, your pressure reading WILL be less than what you pump it to previously, as aid once again goes into the hose and pump chamber, thus creating a bigger volume and lower pressure.

So there's a good chance your shock pump is fine.

Ye heard this 2 before but ye when you recconect you always have a diff reading ,just to check if its at250psi like with the reverb,is a pain. Mine does have the like dump valve where you can just dump as much out and still get the reading.

Must be one with a 1 way valve for something >?

If you're looking for reliable and simple, Rockshox make one that retails around R 400. Very thin barrel so gets to high pressures with little effort (but can take a while), and the chuck has a decent check valve which stops the air escaping.

Lezyne Shock Drive gets my vote for being awesome looking though. About the same price too.

Although what the rest of the crew have said is true - there will always be a bit of air that escapes. Use the pressure reading before you disconnect the pump as the benchmark, it's the closest to the actual pressure inside the air chamber once disconnected. Also, if you keep the same benchmark it doesn't really matter what the actual pressure inside is unless you're using a bunch of different pumps to inflate your shock.

I almost have to speed turn mine off the reverb,which is hard with huge fingers in a 30.9 tube.Will get diff air left in depending on how fast i turn it off,almost like 2 seperate sounds one of the pipe releasing air and then the valve ?

Hmmm. Then it sounds as though your first thought about the check valve being past it may be true... in which case my first post stands.

I'd probably recommend the RS one then, because I use it in the shop and the chuck works well. The Lezyne should work great too, I just haven't used it as much yet.

Hmmm. Then it sounds as though your first thought about the check valve being past it may be true... in which case my first post stands.

I'd probably recommend the RS one then, because I use it in the shop and the chuck works well. The Lezyne should work great too, I just haven't used it as much yet.

Thnx,they both 300psi ?

Rather get a proper track pump?

Can you show me does it go to 300psi? :thumbup:

Looks like a floor pump,i have one that wont work bro :lol: