Moonlight mass - Canceled indefinitely!!!

Icycling

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was a rant from a known veteran cyclist about the previous ride. Something about too many people riding without helmets and that it will be his mission to stop these events. Maybe a link?

From Andrew Wheeldon on Facebook

Re: Cape Town Moonlight Mass suspension of permit:

I will still be there, at the NOT the Moonlight Mass, with my family and friends, who want nothing more than to discover and explore and understand the sights, smells, and atmosphere of their city carefully, slowly, in a healthy manner, and whilst having fun. This decision by the CoCT goes against the current trend of what democratic first world open societies the world over are now doing - raising the consciousness of cycling, health, sustainability, and addressing race, gender, and socio-economic differences by allowing all the citizens of the city to feel and move as one, and really experience the beautiful environment of their cities. This is a HUGE step (pedal) in the WRONG direction, City of Cape Town. Please review and reverse this badly-thought out decision immediately. I will still be there, and at every full moon henceforth.

I have to agree - a free and healthy mass event that gets the community together peacefully across all racial, social and age barriers must surely be an asset to any city. CoCT are flushing it down the toilet.

I have noted that they organizers have praised PPA in their statement - I wonder if PPA has been willing to use as much legal muscle in this cause as they have done in their fight against CSA! That case is with a National cycling Federation back by NOCSA - this one is just with a city run by the DA - even Helen Zille has done moonlight mass

Surely moonlight mass is far more in line with what PPa claim to be about mass participation etc or because its done for zero monetary gain is not important to PPA?

What exactly do you reckon the PPA has to do with this?

i never took part in the moonlight or critical mass protests as it seemed to be more of a mob mentality thing. i believe there was minimal traffic control during these events and was just about a free for all with no control.

there are so many club rides with bunches in excess of 30 riders, must we apply for permission to ride every saturday and sunday now?

It was always well marshalled, but you will always have to put up with some idiots that ruin it for everyone, generally though there was never any issues, except a great time had by all.

There was a rant from a known veteran cyclist about the previous ride. Something about too many people riding without helmets and that it will be his mission to stop these events. Maybe a link?

Just some insight into some of the non-helmet wearers. The requirement of helmets for commuters is a contentious issue for some in South Africa and globally. Drawing influence from the likes of Europe, where helmets are virtually unused in commuting cycling.

Essentially you'd have to ban such people and those that can't afford helmets, and police it strictly, which may have been seen as going against the inclusivity vibes of Moonlight Mass. Don't know, just throwing it out there.

What exactly do you reckon the PPA has to do with this?

http://www.pedalpower.org.za/index.php/about-ppa/constitution-governance/

The main purpose and object of the association is to promote cycling and the interests of cyclists. Without limiting the generality of the aforegoing, the association shall have the following ancillary objectives:

(a) to be a representative body for the furtherance of the interests of cyclists;

(B) to promote cycling as a recreational activity, a sport and as a means of transportation;

© to improve conditions for cyclists with particular regard to their safety;

(d) to arrange and organise cycle tours, fun rides and outings;

(e) to co-ordinate cycle tours, fun rides and outings organised by other bodies and to assist them in their efforts;

(f) to establish contact and liaise with and where appropriate affiliate with other organisations having similar or alike interests and objectives.

Does moonlight mass form part of (a) their 1st objective?

A polite request to wear a helmet is not enough. You'd have to get all nanny state about it to enforce it, which kind of goes against the point of Moonlight Mass. .

Our honourable Mayor is, I fear, quite a fan of the nanny state approach...

Sorry the copy and paste ( B) - b and © - c came out differently!

Hehe... my favourite bbcode bug strikes again :)

Ok, well I will still be there at 21:00 for "not the moonlight mass", riding in my own capacity (unless it's illegal to ride a bike now), so that no permit is needed. Anyone else coming along to ride in their own capacity, not as an event???

http://www.pedalpower.org.za/index.php/about-ppa/constitution-governance/

The main purpose and object of the association is to promote cycling and the interests of cyclists. Without limiting the generality of the aforegoing, the association shall have the following ancillary objectives:

(a) to be a representative body for the furtherance of the interests of cyclists;

(B) to promote cycling as a recreational activity, a sport and as a means of transportation;

© to improve conditions for cyclists with particular regard to their safety;

(d) to arrange and organise cycle tours, fun rides and outings;

(e) to co-ordinate cycle tours, fun rides and outings organised by other bodies and to assist them in their efforts;

(f) to establish contact and liaise with and where appropriate affiliate with other organisations having similar or alike interests and objectives.

Does moonlight mass form part of (a) their 1st objective?

Lets just let the PPA sort out some more road rides now. Lets not spread them too thin.

Let them concentrate on organizing two road races each weekend in the summer!

I think we should also tweet Hellen Zille - amazing how people don't want to look bad with elections coming up

The main purpose and object of the association is to promote cycling and the interests of cyclists. ...........................Does moonlight mass form part of (a) their 1st objective?

Yes. I agree. I think Moonlight Mass fits in very nicely with the wider purpose of the PPA. It could be very helpful if the PPA could use its considerable weight in resolving the impasse re. Moonlight Mass.

I think it needs to be sorted out because Mass has become something of great value, not just to cyclists but also to the City of Cape Town. It shouldn't be left to die. (Or rather, be killed by officialdom) It is a vibrant demonstration of the freedom we have attained, of not only thinking outside the box, but living outside the box.

However, for the PPA to become involved, it will have to adhere to the very same safety norms that the City is bleating about. For instance: The "no helmet, no ride" rule. That will have to be enforced. If this is done, structure introduced, will it still be Moonlight Mass? Will it still be the coolest ride? Will the cool kids still come?

Perhaps the PPA should just help the current organiser get his problems with the City sorted out, but not become directly involved in running the event?

Archived