New road bike final decisions.. Help

paulmic

Cassie, are you saying you wouldn't think twice about getting the Merida?

Are

:whistling: sorry...yes that is my verdict (previous post edited) :clap:

I am a bit one sided on this because me and the missus have only owned Merida bikes and very happy..."value for money" they are hard to beat...but that's only my opinion and like I said, I have never ridden a Scott Foil, so there will be others that disagree with me...my current bike is a Scultura 905 (2013) and it feels better up the hills than my previous bike... :whistling: more responsive and standing out of the saddle is a pleasure... :w00t: ...on the flats she keeps up with the rest (until my legs give in...he he he) :blush: I really enjoy this Scultura...and can't wait for the 2014 bikes to go on sale next year :clap: to make way for the 2015 stock...ha ha ha... :thumbup: :whistling:

If you can...give them both a ride...YOU will have to be the proud owner :thumbup: WITH the Flex-Stay design on the Scultura, it does have a nice ride and not that harsh on the body...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I need to throw a spanner in the works, I have been offered a 2013 Felt F5 for R19k...

Too many options at this price range aaarg! ;)

Too many options at this price range aaarg! ;)

OK, what does a CAAD 10 now cost? When I looked last year at about this price point for my boet, the Cannondale came out tops.....

About Scott vs Merida: Look at what happened to Lampre 's performance when they started riding Merida.

First Saffa to wear yellow in the TDF rode a Scott....

;-)

Heehee

I wont comment on the above mentioned bikes. But if you search a bit harder you will find many more options at that price range. 2013 models going at incredible prices. Giant, Specialized, Cannondale and Trek etc. Me personally would rather have one of the big brands. Scott South Africa I have heard some bad things about, Merida seems very good in terms of backup. Tough choice. Ultimately your choice.

Edited by schalk1982

OK, what does a CAAD 10 now cost? When I looked last year at about this price point for my boet, the Cannondale came out tops.....

Just bought one for my wife, 2014 105 model comes in at 21 k.

Problem is most won't get their head around that money for an Alu bike even if the frame is lighter and stiffer.

Upgrade the wheels and you have a great race bike.

I'd always say get the best frame you can. Yes there are a lot of parts of a bike but the frame is the heart of and it's probably not going to be the thing you upgrade in the next 3 - 5 years.

105 & Ultegra as both great sets, I've had both (and DA and Campy) and liked different parts of both (mainly the feel and fit of the hoods on 105 for me when riding, climbing and sprinting works). I think the jump from 105 to Ultegra is a lot more than Ultegra to Dura Ace. That Ultegra crank is insanely good and the standout. Super stiff and only a shade or two off DA. I've never had an issue with 105, don't adjust, doesn't give me any issues and I don't worry between services.

On my current ride I've got a Giant TCR Advanced with 105. I've upgraded the Wheels to AM Aero 420s (like the lively and fast feel but will also be getting stiffer options), the bars and stem to carbon and saddle. Biggest things I changed as soon as I could (apart from wheels) and biggest improvements were: FSA Carbon cranks and chainrings (transfers so much more power than the 105, not even same league. fast seamless shifting, never dropped a chain), carbon pedals matched with carbon shoes (No flex and again all power transferred directly to the cranks to the BB).

Weight is a thing and my bike weighs 7.4kgs now. Strap two water bottles in for a race, bombs, tubes, bag and the 8kgs I could really do with dropping this season and the odd gram here / there looks a bit pointless. For me it's about knowing that as much of the power I'm putting down is being used and transferred the best and that's not getting wasted. Dropping kegs is cheaper and better than buying kit.

Second hand is alway an option, a mate got a R23K bike the week after the Argus for R14. Used for that Argus only by finance guy bored with golf. Spent the rest on killer race hoops, new shoes / pedals.

Guess it all comes down to the right bike for you. The CAAD is good advice, it's an epic bike, Alu is not to be over looked and could be perfect for you as could a super stiff carbon one.

Thanks all for the advise! It really is a tough battle choosing the right bike. Even after reading all the feedback I cant decide on the Scott Foil 40, Merida Scultura 905 comp, F5 Felt and even looking at the Silverback Space 1 (full Ultegra). If only one could keep the bike for a 1 to 2 hour ride to get the feel for the bike - lol, no chances :)

Thanks all for the advise! It really is a tough battle choosing the right bike. Even after reading all the feedback I cant decide on the Scott Foil 40, Merida Scultura 905 comp, F5 Felt and even looking at the Silverback Space 1 (full Ultegra). If only one could keep the bike for a 1 to 2 hour ride to get the feel for the bike - lol, no chances :)

LOL :w00t: tough choices Paul :thumbup: :eek:

Not sure if you mentioned it before...what bike and spec do you currently have??

LOL :w00t: tough choices Paul :thumbup: :eek:

Not sure if you mentioned it before...what bike and spec do you currently have??

I have a 2012 Axis AR20C carbon frame, Shimano 105 5500 (old) and Easton EA50SL's

The Giant Deft Advanced 2 won Bike Radar / CyclingPlus bike of the year 2013.

Others in the test were:

Outer Chosen Fnl.jpCannondale Synapse Carbon 5 105

BMC Roadracer SL01

Olympia Ego RS

Sensa Giulia Supremo

Boardman Elite Air 9.0

Forme Axe Edge Pro

Canyon Ultimate CF 9.0 ES

Trek Madone 4.5

Specialized Tarmac Sport

Kuota Kharma Evo

Eddy Merckx EMX-1 Peloton

Ridley Fenix 1307A

Bianchi Sempre Pro Veloce

De Rosa R848

Wilier Triestina Izoard XP Ultegra

Norco Tactic 3

Avanti Quantum 2.0

Cinelli Saetta

Dedacciai Nerissimo Veloce

Cannondale SuperSix 5 105

Verenti Insight Ultegra

Giant TCR Advanced 2

Scott CR1 Team Carbon

Vitus Vitesse

Moda Molto

Scapin EYS

Merida Ride Carbon 95

Felt F5

Ribble R872 Di2

Felt Z5

Ghost Race Lector 7000

Lapierre Sensium 300 CP

Pinarello FP Uno Carbon Veloce

Specialized Roubaix Sport Compact

Cube Agree GTC SL

That should make it easier for you... ;)

Hi Hubers

I have been researching a new road bike for several weeks at the 18 to 20k price range. The ultimate goal is to find something that isn't going to leave me wanting and last several years. Therefore a good carbon frame with Ultegra or 105.

I am down to 2 bikes: 2013 Scott Foil 40 which has a very good frame (according to reviews) and full 105 @R20k or a 2013 Merida Scultura Comp 905, again from what I have read has a good frame + Ultegra. I don't really know how good the Merida brand is.

I'm really at a crossroads with this one.. The scott I can get from my local bike shop with a good discount (R20k is after discount) and post sale support. The Merida will come from JHB so I will need to courier it down and have a fitting at my local bike shop.

Any suggestions, advise etc.

Cheers, Paul

I have a Merida mtb, love it!!!

You can't go wrong with a Merida.

Dont get hung up about the groupset. Your performance is effected way more when it comes to frameset and wheels (rims and tyres to be exact due to rotational forces). 105 works just as well as ultegra with a tiny weight penalty. Groupset should be further down your list of priorities.

Edited by MuddyMike

I would phone the guys at Revolution Cycles. They have a nice Felt and a Spez in your price bracket... Otherwise I'd go for the Scott.

FYI, Felt has no representation left in SA, so after sale service would be limited to Stelling and son from Revolution cycles. They are great but would be limited with any warrenty. Spez alway......!