2014 Giant Trance 27.5 2

nolipoli

Its funny, but the more I look at it, the more I am inclined to keep my Trance instead of upgrading to the upcoming Reign. I have never had any question on the strength of the frame, with my only real gripe being that I would like a longer fork and shorter stem, making it slacker and better for the downs. Does anyone know what the Geo effect would be with a 160mm fork and an angleset?

I know that the 140mm rear end is actually ample for my needs but it is nice to know that I could squeeze it out to 158mm if I want.

I reckon that the Reign would need to come in at a really competitive price for me to look at it seriously.

On a side note:

It is much easier to sneak little upgrades (fork, brakes, stems, handlebars, dropper posts etc) past my wife than completely new bikes.

+1 but why the angleset? For Geo effect of 160mm just look at the SX Geo. Also keen to try the 158 on the rear, figure if not why not. Can get Monarch Plus pretty cheap if its from the US as my sister is there and coming out in December - maybe xmas present to myself.

I snuck everything past the gf but had to come clean in the end, given all the criminal activity, as my insurance value had to be put up, and she does all that! :o

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am familiar with the SX geometry, but what I am hoping for is that if I fit an Angleset, the increased rake will lower the front end back down again, also decreasing BB height and increasing wheel base slightly. The net result would be a bike that climbs better than an SX (not taking into account the travel adjustable fork), and climbs better than a new Reign, but also would descend just as well as the Reign, with a long low feeling, courtesy of the slacker (65 deg?) head angle.

I am familiar with the SX geometry, but what I am hoping for is that if I fit an Angleset, the increased rake will lower the front end back down again, also decreasing BB height and increasing wheel base slightly. The net result would be a bike that climbs better than an SX (not taking into account the travel adjustable fork), and climbs better than a new Reign, but also would descend just as well as the Reign, with a long low feeling, courtesy of the slacker (65 deg?) head angle.

Exactly what I'm trying to get with my Reign X. I reckon my HA is somewhere along the 65.5 mark.

20mm higher front end than stock, angleset about to go in.

So changed my mind again.

Going for normal ass trance 2 with slx brakes and dropper.

I'm at least going to try the fork and if its bad I'll upgrade to the Pike. no harm in at least trying :)

Last questions:

1. Is the 5mm QR a huge problem? Not going to break?

2. Is it worth waiting for 2015 models which may have improved suspension (2015 fox line up)?

3. Will the value of 2014 Trances plummet now? I dont think so as the 2014 looks way better in black and there are basically very little differences in the bikes.

thanks for advice all :)

So changed my mind again.

Going for normal ass trance 2 with slx brakes and dropper.

I'm at least going to try the fork and if its bad I'll upgrade to the Pike. no harm in at least trying :)

Last questions:

1. Is the 5mm QR a huge problem? Not going to break?

2. Is it worth waiting for 2015 models which may have improved suspension (2015 fox line up)?

3. Will the value of 2014 Trances plummet now? I dont think so as the 2014 looks way better in black and there are basically very little differences in the bikes.

thanks for advice all :)

WRT the QR, due to the solid rear triangle of the Trance it's more than stiff enough. That being said you can get additional dropouts for it should you have a 142x12 thru-axle you want to use or upgrade to

What's the stock fork? A Fox 32? If so, the difference between that and the Pike is VAST. They're not even in the same galaxy.

What's the stock fork? A Fox 32? If so, the difference between that and the Pike is VAST. They're not even in the same galaxy.

I hear you.

Pike is going to cost me about 13k though once I have bought new headset and stem.

That is a lot for a 22k bike.

I'm hoping to ride trails a lot more with this bike but realistically 3 or 4 times a month only (weekends). I do not race or anything. Maybe the stock fork will be adequate... I had one on my stumpjumper and I thought it was fine? I know that the Pike is the bench mark so if I feel teh stock one is carp I will upgrade.

I hear you.

Pike is going to cost me about 13k though once I have bought new headset and stem.

That is a lot for a 22k bike.

I'm hoping to ride trails a lot more with this bike but realistically 3 or 4 times a month only (weekends). I do not race or anything. Maybe the stock fork will be adequate... I had one on my stumpjumper and I thought it was fine? I know that the Pike is the bench mark so if I feel teh stock one is carp I will upgrade.

It depends on what you're expecting out of the fork. Due to my weight, how I ride and cost factors I've kept my Fox 36 VAN RC2 (26", yes, I checked for bottom out crown interference), I bought the frame only so it's what I had. It fits a sizable WTB Vigilante 2.3 (though it may struggle with the new rubber I bought recently, but not in a rush to change just yet).

I could get a Fox 32 or an RS Revelation relatively cheap but I can't justify trading down from such a nice stiff fork. It's the same A2C as the Fox32 so no issues at all there.

If I had the cash now I would get an X-fusion Sweep or Vengeance (In fact if someone bought my 36 for a reasonable price, I may be able to swing it past the minister of finance).

Here they compare the X-Fusion Sweep to the RS Pike

http://bikemagic.com/news/video-27-5-fork-shootout-rockshox-pike-vs-x-fusion-sweep.html

Thanks guys. Any comments regarding buying 2014 vs 2015 models?

Will have to wait to see what the price, final spec and local model availability will be. EVEN SO: I'd wait just not to get stuck with that damn OD2 fork and stem.

At this stage the 2015 will only have a different paint job which won't justify paying more. But for me not being stuck with OD2 will be more than enough.

I have ridden the current model and it's a great bike. But that fork... Have also ridden a 32 CTD Talas on a Merida and, believe it or not, it's even worse.

Right, models that will make it to our shore:

Alu; Trance 1 & 2

Carbon: Trance Adv 0, 1 & 2

Due date looks like Oct with no indication of RRP just yet. Spec and pics available on the US site.

In other news it looks the Reign Adv 1 will also make it our way. Hmmmm....

Measured my HA last night - inclinometer was flicking between 65 & 66 degrees so I reckon it's on the cusp - probably 65.8 or so. Unfortunately it only registers whole degrees... Need to download one with a more accurate reading.

Some more detective work and it looks like the Trance 2 will retail for more or less the same money, maybe a bit more, than the current model. Trance 1 R38/R39k-ish.

NOTE: This is from what I could gather piecing a whole bunch of clues, data, stats, two blocks of cheese and a gumball together.

Archived