2014 Giant Trance 27.5 2

nolipoli

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2015 includes better rear hub, better brakes, hopefully better fork, no OD2...

Hub can be adapted to 12mm TA by a simple adapter, brakes on the 2015 are not that much better - 2014 still has LOADS of stopping power, it's just the newer Deore. 2015 I'd still get rid of that damn fork, and all you need to do to get rid of OD2 is get a different headset. Plus one of the guys on here is bringing in custom milled 50mm OD2 stems, so that's not a problem.

Hub can be adapted to 12mm TA by a simple adapter, brakes on the 2015 are not that much better - 2014 still has LOADS of stopping power, it's just the newer Deore. 2015 I'd still get rid of that damn fork, and all you need to do to get rid of OD2 is get a different headset. Plus one of the guys on here is bringing in custom milled 50mm OD2 stems, so that's not a problem.

Don't know about the hubs being adapted, but the dropouts can.

Ah... If I'm wrong, apologies.

Even if the hubs can be adapted, they're still the same hubs.

I don't know whether they're rubbish or not, I don't have the original Giant hubs

2014 brakes are Alivio level (I think), but I rode them at the Giba Enduro and was on the brakes a lot ços I am a chicken. I mostly was able to 1-finger it, and I think I was more tired from holding on than anything else.

Starting at 19K for a brand new bike, and upgrading the things you don't like (while selling the unused parts) should be much cheaper than buying a slightly better Stock 2015 and still having to change some parts.

2014 brakes are Alivio level (I think), but I rode them at the Giba Enduro and was on the brakes a lot ços I am a chicken. I mostly was able to 1-finger it, and I think I was more tired from holding on than anything else.

Starting at 19K for a brand new bike, and upgrading the things you don't like (while selling the unused parts) should be much cheaper than buying a slightly better Stock 2015 and still having to change some parts.

Alivio calipers, deore levers.

Scratch that.

They confused 15% and 25%. Its actually about R21500 and not R19k!

Whenever I am trying to justify something to myself or my wife I do a spreadsheet. It helps me to lie to myself more convincingly.

I am placing an order now for a demo on a new Reign - am tempted to forego my usual "one bike for life" philosophy and trade up if I can feel a positive difference...

I am placing an order now for a demo on a new Reign - am tempted to forego my usual "one bike for life" philosophy and trade up if I can feel a positive difference...

I wouldn't mind taking the new reign out for a spin if any bike shops in jhb would trust me :blush:

I wouldn't mind taking the new reign out for a spin if any bike shops in jhb would trust me :blush:

Wonder when they will arrive?

I can't imagine you not feeling a difference. The fork alone will be a huge improvement.

Oh - and 1.5 degrees please, with a 46mm fork offset on all calcs!

Right, numbers below. (Old Numbers in Brackets)

Fork Offset: 46mm (Fox Van 36 was 37mm which was quite surprising)

Axle to Crown: 565mm (545mm)

Head Angle: 65.1 (67)

Seat Angle: 72.1 (72.5)

Wheel Base: 1190mm (1161mm)

BB Height increases by about 3mm and height at Head tube increases by about 6mm.

Archived