2014 Giant Trance 27.5 2

nolipoli

No. Basically the fork, headset and stem on a OD2 bike are OD2 specific.

It means that if you want to upgrade the (average) stock fork, you will need to buy a new headset and stem as well (R1500 or so). The stock fork will also have bugger all resale value as its only compatible OD2 headsets and stems. No one is going to buy into OD2 now that Giant has done away with it.

Cool, now I understand.

Kind of like how Cannondale does a 1.5" straight steerer fork for their trail series bikes.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool, now I understand.

Kind of like how Cannondale does a 1.5" straight steerer fork for their trail series bikes.

tell me about it .... when going from the MOTO to whatever bike, it was a mission to find something that will work with the 1.5" ... fortunately the Mbuzi did, or else I was still searching for a bike with an internal dia headtube of 44mm as Nukeproof have external headsets that can make the 1.5" work

Did you at least get to negotiate the price a bit?

Agreed with the Black on Black on Black on Black look.

I did get the best price that I could find for it.

I think I should be ok with OD2 as I won't be upgrading any of those parts.

I did get the best price that I could find for it.

I think I should be ok with OD2 as I won't be upgrading any of those parts.

Cool. Olympic is having their 2014 clearance sale in a week or twos time.

No. Basically the fork, headset and stem on a OD2 bike are OD2 specific.

It means that if you want to upgrade the (average) stock fork, you will need to buy a new headset and stem as well (R1500 or so). The stock fork will also have bugger all resale value as its only compatible OD2 headsets and stems. No one is going to buy into OD2 now that Giant has done away with it.

I have a 2014 Anthem, so when you say buy a new headset, it's probably a specific size that fits OD2. right? And now that Giant has done away with OD2, should I consider buying a headset now and keep it in case headsets of that dimension are phased out? In case I may one day need to replace/upgrade my fork.

I have a 2014 Anthem, so when you say buy a new headset, it's probably a specific size that fits OD2. right? And now that Giant has done away with OD2, should I consider buying a headset now and keep it in case headsets of that dimension are phased out? In case I may one day need to replace/upgrade my fork.

It's just the top cup and bearing that's specific. I have a spare at home that I'm not using.

Give me a shout and an offer if you want it

It's just the top cup and bearing that's specific. I have a spare at home that I'm not using.

Give me a shout and an offer if you want it

Oh ok, I don't need it now. I have no idea what they cost btw, can you give me a rough idea. Should I be concerned that they will not be available in the future should I need to replace my fork? Are Giants with OD2 the only bikes that use these?

Oh ok, I don't need it now. I have no idea what they cost btw, can you give me a rough idea. Should I be concerned that they will not be available in the future should I need to replace my fork? Are Giants with OD2 the only bikes that use these?

Here's the price of the complete headset.

http://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/giant-headset

AFAIK only Giant uses this standard

Here's the price of the complete headset.

http://www.cwcycles....t/giant-headset

AFAIK only Giant uses this standard

SH!tty Pants, that's expensive. Got this on another forum: 'If nothing else you should be able to remove the "OD2" top cup of the headset (which seems to be the 1 1/4") and replace with a standard 1 1/8" top. This will open up your availability of forks.'

So if that is true, and I do need to replace my fork, I can replace the top cup with a standard one, and just buy and fit any standard fork, right?

SH!tty Pants, that's expensive. Got this on another forum: 'If nothing else you should be able to remove the "OD2" top cup of the headset (which seems to be the 1 1/4") and replace with a standard 1 1/8" top. This will open up your availability of forks.'

So if that is true, and I do need to replace my fork, I can replace the top cup with a standard one, and just buy and fit any standard fork, right?

Yes, that's what I've done.

I bought the frame with headset, popped in a 1 1/8" headset cup, etc. Still using my Fox VAN 36 (26") till I can afford a new fork

Yes, that's what I've done.

I bought the frame with headset, popped in a 1 1/8" headset cup, etc. Still using my Fox VAN 36 (26") till I can afford a new fork

Ah okay, that's not so bad then. Was just worried that I might be screwed in 4-5 years time if I want to upgrade and there's no more OD2 headsets or forks. Now I now that there's an easy solution.

Then don't go and look what they want to rob you on for a 1.5" headset :(

Call me crazy...ordered the 2014 Trance 27.5 2 today...I just love the stealth black and will upgrade as I get to know the bike. Arriving on Monday and only picking up next Saturday.

Can't wait!!

Cool! I will look out for another shiny one on the trails here. Mine got broken in properly on Sunday. Had a little incident on the back descent at Hoogekraal. Got a little offline on one of the jumps. Scratches on the bars, brakes and rear derailleur. Doh! Everything still functions correctly. I guess if you buy a bike like this and you don't fall occasionally... then you're doing it wrong.

Archived