2014 Giant Trance 27.5 2

nolipoli

That was my first choice, but I couldn't get pricing or stock. From what i see on international pricing you pay a lot for it.

Noli, how tall are you?

I have the 29er Trance, but being 1.92m tall, I opted this time for an XL because my old large 26er trance looked a bit ridiculous and I hovered way on top of the bike because of my long bloody legs.

I do think there is a bit of sense in lank tall dudes riding well designed 29ers over 26ers.

But that Trance 29er XL is freaking massive! Looks less massive when I actually ride however.

Damn you beautiful black 650b bike! :drool:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ja, the 27.5 Trances are a LOT smaller than the Trance 29ers, so you'd probably be good on an XL. I am 185cm and super long legs and the large seatpost is on maximum.

I am 182, and the large feels good. I will probably go 20mm shorter on the stem when I can find one.

I'm 181, the large feels good and I'd also like to go shorter on the stem :)

• 4 weeks later...

I have pulled the trigger on the Reign mentioned a bit earlier in the thread.

I love the bike-It handles the rough stuff nicely as well as some fair sized drops (I can handle)

Did a 47km 'fitness ride' yesterday & I was only slower by 1km/h on average than with my more xc oriented Trance I used to ride. Plus I'm not that fit anymore.

Now my issue is this:

I have a friend that 'test rode' my Reign & he loved it so much that he wants to buy it off me.

He put the "crazy" idea into my mind that he'll give me R10000 cash plus his Trek Fuel EX for the Reign without the dropper.

(I've already sold the Reverb dropper that came on the Reign-to be replaced with a KS - Supernatural if I keep the Reign / buy a Trance)

I can get a Trance X2 for R20 200.

Should I take his bait & sell / swop or rather try to sell the Reign (without the Trek 'trade-in' ) or should I rather hang on to the Reign?

How hot is this?

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/_generated/_generated_uk/bikes/models/images/800/2014/2014_Giant_Trance_SX_275.jpg

eina blicksem thats beautiful. never thought a "brown" bike would look good but that does. now to find one to buy :devil:

I have pulled the trigger on the Reign mentioned a bit earlier in the thread.

I love the bike-It handles the rough stuff nicely as well as some fair sized drops (I can handle)

Did a 47km 'fitness ride' yesterday & I was only slower by 1km/h on average than with my more xc oriented Trance I used to ride. Plus I'm not that fit anymore.

Now my issue is this:

I have a friend that 'test rode' my Reign & he loved it so much that he wants to buy it off me.

He put the "crazy" idea into my mind that he'll give me R10000 cash plus his Trek Fuel EX for the Reign without the dropper.

(I've already sold the Reverb dropper that came on the Reign-to be replaced with a KS - Supernatural if I keep the Reign / buy a Trance)

I can get a Trance X2 for R20 200.

Should I take his bait & sell / swop or rather try to sell the Reign (without the Trek 'trade-in' ) or should I rather hang on to the Reign?

Dubbel, DON'T DO THE SWAP!!! Reason I say this is 3 fold.

firstly - you have an AWESOME bike, that has better numbers (geometry wise) than the new Trance. Seriously. The new trance is LONGER than my Reign X (Reign's bigger brother) and has the same BB height, and is a FULL INCH longer than your Reign. The only measurement you'd be winning on is the head angle, which is at 67 degrees vs the Reign's 67.5

Secondly - You'd be going down a model, from the Reign 1 to the Trance x2. Lower spec parts.

Thirdly, and imo of equal importance to point 1 - you'd be buying a bike with a Fox CTD fork. Despite FOX's insistence that they have sorted the problems on their CTD system, there have been numerous reports that the problems have persisted. That means it's still not 100% sorted, unlike the RS units (revelation / lyrik etc) which are bomb-proof. The forks are either wallowy as hell, or have zero small bump compliance. Search the forums overseas (MTBR / Pinkbike etc) for reports of this. Plus, I'd far rather deal with the RS agents than the Fox agents here in SA.

If the fork on the Reign is a fox (almost 100% sure it is, but it may not be standard spec) I'd still keep the reign due to the first point. Why do you think your mate is trying to buy it from you anyway!? You have a fantastic bike there, WITH a better dropper and and and. No reason to sell it only to go sideways with the numbers. And please, forget about wheel size here for a second. You can fit 650 on the Reign. It's a proven bike.

So from me, it's not a good deal. Stay with what you have.

EDIT: Changed head angle measurements

To add:

You have better wheels: DT swiss E540's vs the standard Giant SXC2's

You have better gruppo & brakes: FULL SLX (clutch) vs mix of SLX (clutch) Deore and lower than Deore brakes

You have a better fork: 32 TALAS vs 32 Float (both CTD, unfortunately, but the TALAS is a better fork and most of the problems have been reported on the bottom of the range Float range)

You have a better shock: Performance line (one below Kashima) vs Evolution line (bottom of the range)

Thx CPT! Someone just had to tell me that the reign is the better bike!!! (in my situation)

Maybe I should just get a set of these to use for next time when it itches...

post-25067-0-18998300-1389171758_thumb.jpg

To add:

You have better wheels: DT swiss E540's vs the standard Giant SXC2's

You have better gruppo & brakes: FULL SLX (clutch) vs mix of SLX (clutch) Deore and lower than Deore brakes

You have a better fork: 32 TALAS vs 32 Float (both CTD, unfortunately, but the TALAS is a better fork and most of the problems have been reported on the bottom of the range Float range)

You have a better shock: Performance line (one below Kashima) vs Evolution line (bottom of the range)

You are spot on with the spec (it's standard factory spec)

I do have a brand new RockShox Revelation RCT3 that I was considering to pop on the Reign, but it's a straight steerer so I'll have to get the reducers / new headset.

If only I could get a buyer for the Talas.

You are spot on with the spec (it's standard factory spec)

I do have a brand new RockShox Revelation RCT3 that I was considering to pop on the Reign, but it's a straight steerer so I'll have to get the reducers / new headset.

If only I could get a buyer for the Talas.

YES YES YES!!!!!!!

You'll find a buyer in no time. Just price it right, and it'll fly. Plenty people looking for a new fork, and a FOX at a good price will fly. I dunno why, but they will.

And spacer schmacer. You can get one for 100ZARs.

Guest Omega Man

You'll find a buyer in no time. Just price it right, and it'll fly. Plenty people looking for a new fork, and a FOX at a good price will fly. I dunno why, but they will.

If you'd ridden a bike with a 40 on it you'd know why.

What would you suggest would be a "right price"?

The previous owner didn't really use the bike. Tyres still had some "needles" left.

He said abouth 150km. (might be less imo)

I've done about 150 as well.

Since it's OD2 I'll let it go with spacers & stem (70mm)

Archived