Specialized Camber carbon expert 2014

Gideondv

I think you made your point the first time – let’s not ask for more sales pitch and rather keep to the topic. If you still feel miffed about the KTM guy putting his hand up, go ride until the red mist fades.

As far as your choices go Rebel, there are bikes in between your current HT and bikes like the Camber or Trigger... such as the Epic if you are keen on a Spaz. It might be already enough suspension for your liking/riding so maybe give that a test as well if you have not considered it previously.

PS. In the end I can only echo the point about going with what gets your blood warm, because that is the bike that will make you want to ride more.

Still waiting for his reply, it's a good thing you thought I made my point, at least you have some intelligence.

The OP asked for suggestions with reasons, I'm also keen to hear reasons and that unfortunately extends to sales pitch talk to a degree.

Nowhere was I off topic or steering it that way

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My 2 cents...

My bike until today was a Camber Pro (26er) - its been a fantastic bike, so naturally as a Specialized fan, my upgrade in September was Camber Carbon 29er.

For varying reasons the deal didn't go through.. For which I am extremely grateful as I was introduced to a Pyga at Lourensford and had a chat with a proud owner of one on the Wines2Whales.... As I've discovered they are extremely capable (more so than the Camber), and the loan bike I had for the last two days certainly made me look more talented than I actually am.....

SO I have a new OneTen 29er being built next week.

I'm not particularly concerned that its Alu and supposed weight issues vs carbon - I'm 185cm and around 100kgs, so its easier for me to lose weight than worry about a few grams here or there on a bike..

In the end, its your choice, but I'd strongly recommend you have a good look around before you buy.

Tom

I think you made your point the first time – let’s not ask for more sales pitch and rather keep to the topic. If you still feel miffed about the KTM guy putting his hand up, go ride until the red mist fades.

As far as your choices go Rebel, there are bikes in between your current HT and bikes like the Camber or Trigger... such as the Epic if you are keen on a Spaz. It might be already enough suspension for your liking/riding so maybe give that a test as well if you have not considered it previously.

PS. In the end I can only echo the point about going with what gets your blood warm, because that is the bike that will make you want to ride more.

Hi Lefty,

I did consider the Epic.. couple of my mates are riding them & they are great! But the Epic is still a "hard" pure race bike.. Im looking for something more comfortable & relaxed but still capable of racing / not get left behind on a long climb.

The Trigger being 130mm falls into a different category for me together with a Pyga & Stumpy Fsr.

Will try to test them all....

My 2 cents...

My bike until today was a Camber Pro (26er) - its been a fantastic bike, so naturally as a Specialized fan, my upgrade in September was Camber Carbon 29er.

For varying reasons the deal didn't go through.. For which I am extremely grateful as I was introduced to a Pyga at Lourensford and had a chat with a proud owner of one on the Wines2Whales.... As I've discovered they are extremely capable (more so than the Camber), and the loan bike I had for the last two days certainly made me look more talented than I actually am.....

SO I have a new OneTen 29er being built next week.

I'm not particularly concerned that its Alu and supposed weight issues vs carbon - I'm 185cm and around 100kgs, so its easier for me to lose weight than worry about a few grams here or there on a bike..

In the end, its your choice, but I'd strongly recommend you have a good look around before you buy.

Tom

Im sure the Pyga will be more capable having 120mm/130mm travel. To be fair it should be compared to the Stumpjumper.

Definitely an awesome bike!

Travel on the 29er Pyga and Camber is the same I believe - both are 110 (hence the Pyga having the 'OneTen' in its name. The 650 Pyga has slighty more travel at 120 and 140 (Pascoe).

Revolution have a demo bike if you're Cape Town based...

Tom

Travel on the 29er Pyga and Camber is the same I believe - both are 110 (hence the Pyga having the 'OneTen' in its name. The 650 Pyga has slighty more travel at 120 and 140 (Pascoe).

Revolution have a demo bike if you're Cape Town based...

Tom

oh ok, my bad!

Cool thanks!

What is the cost of the frame?

Intersesting discussion. I have a 2012 Epic Expert and am now looking at the Camber Expert as I struggle in the technical bits on the Epic. Doing the Cape Epic next year and am concerned about the rocky descents.... spoke to the blokes at Concept in Jhb who advised to go for the Camber as it is more forgiving but still climbs well.

I'm doing the Epic on this next year.... Finally got it yesterday, so will be off to Tokai at sparrows tomorrow to muck about.

post-44068-0-54620300-1385749875_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tatt

I'm doing the Epic on this next year.... Finally got it yesterday, so will be off to Tokai at sparrows tomorrow to muck about.

post-44068-0-54620300-1385749875_thumb.jpg

Nice bike! 130mm upfront? PM me total cost please.

So I went to Specialized 'Test the best today' @ Jonkershoek. Tested the stumpy & camber (both Sworks) .... both bikes are UNBELIEVABLE!!! Handles like a dream + Climbs really well. The dropper seat post makes a massive difference on the singletrack!

Guys ,What will the top 5 bikes be for the Epic? .Hope it's not a Hi jack

Well you know, it's not about going fast, it's really about how good you look when you're standing still. So then my Zula should be on the podium no problem.

I expect to see lots of Specialized Epic's and Scott Spark's. Hopefully some Momsens & Pyga's too.....

For that money top spec PYGA with dropper post and 1x11 setup is a no brainer for me. Not carbon, but so what.

Hi Nico, are you not enjoying your stumpy? Looks like you are according to your Jonkers videos

100% Hi jack...

Epic

Vipa

Scott

Cannondale

Giant