First Enduro Build (take 2)

Nicko

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was planning on going 2x10, since I have already have a 2 ring XT crankset, however I could still go 1x10!

What are the advantages of 1x10?

What would you guys do, 2x10 or 1x10?

Bear in mind I will be doing most of my riding at Giba Gorge, and the climbs are gnarly!!! Still wanna be able to pedal up those climbs.

I was planning on going 2x10, since I have already have a 2 ring XT crankset, however I could still go 1x10!

Bear in mind I will be doing most of my riding at Giba Gorge, and the climbs are gnarly!!! Still wanna be able to pedal up those climbs.

Use what works for you, some will say you have to go 1 x 10, but they all work.

WRT gearing

I am currently running a 1 x 10 system with 34 tooth chainring and an 11-41 tooth cassette (not XX1 or X01)

Previously I was running 2 x 9 with 38/26 up front and 12-36 tooth cassette. This is now going across to the Enduro bike I'm building for my wife / my backup XC rig :ph34r:

I'm looking to start a 650b enduro/AM bike build which is going to be 1x10. Probably just have to stand when climbing a little more often, which I'm happy to do. Can be a little challenging up loose slippery steep surfaces where it's easier to keep traction if you stay seated. I don't care about the lost gears on the top end.

I've got a 29er which I'll use for the odd marathon or stage race - I'm going to leave that as 2x10 for now and maybe convert to 1x10 later.

I like the simplicity of 1x10 and I'm sure I can get used to a few less gears. Single speed riders seem to do ok.

Edited by beanz

Okay so I'm thinking of going 1x10 with a Narrow-wide Chainring up front.

Looking at getting:

Race Face 32t narrow-wide chainring

Shimano Zee Rear Shadow+ derailleur

Shimano Zee Shifter

I already have:

Shimano XT rear derailleur

SLX Shifters

SLX front derailleur

XT 2x10 crankset

Thinking of buying the former and then selling the latter, should be able to sell the latter for more than the 1x10 setup will cost.

Any opinions or advice for this?

why not just keep the SLX shifter?

And you can also run the XT as 1x10. No need to use that other crank you have, unless you're selling the Xt due to budgetary issues. If so, you can then go all out with the Truvativ crank and maybe even polish it?

Well if I buy a new shifter, then I can sell my other groupset as complete?

Was thinking the Zee rear mech is probably better suited for my application (shorter cage), it's also clutch and only slightly heavier. Then as previously I can sell my complete groupset.

How much do you think I can fetch for this groupset? All brand new, not 1km, 2014 stuff

2 Slx Shifters

Xt rear mech

Slx front mech

Xt 2x10 crankset

Xt cassette

KMC x10 chain

Well if I buy a new shifter, then I can sell my other groupset as complete?

Was thinking the Zee rear mech is probably better suited for my application (shorter cage), it's also clutch and only slightly heavier. Then as previously I can sell my complete groupset.

How much do you think I can fetch for this groupset? All brand new, not 1km, 2014 stuff

2 Slx Shifters

Xt rear mech

Slx front mech

Xt 2x10 crankset

Xt cassette

KMC x10 chain

You'd get more by selling them separate, given that it's not a "complete" gruppo (SLX Shifters & FD)

PM inbound...

• 2 months later...

Okay, sooooo I finally finished building up my bike :) Being away for holidays somewhat halted progress, as well as missing small bits and pieces....

However, here she, complete and ready to go :)

Specs:

Frame: 2012 Giant Trance X

Fork: Rock Shox Sektor DPC 32mm 120/150mm travel

Wheels: Easton Haven

Brakes: Shimano SLX 180mm/160mm

Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT shadow+

Shifter(s): Shimano SLX

Cassette: Shimano XT 11-36

Crankset: Truvativ Stylo with Race Face Narrow Wide 32t

Pedals: Shimano DX

Saddle: WTB Pure V

Stem: Race Face Respond 60mm