Giant anthem x4 versus Giant trance x4

Tibi

I am new rider I have being offered to choose between Giant Anthem X4 (4" Travel) and Giant Trance X4 (5" Travel)

Please advise

Depends on what kind of riding you want to do...

The Anthem will be better for cross-country riding and the Trance better for rougher trails. Both are good bikes.

If possible, take both for a demo ride.

I have one of each! So the best of both worlds.. I use the Anthem for Modderfontein, N Farm, Spruit etc and the Trance for Van Gaalen and more technical types of terrain.

So like Jacquers says above, depends on your type of riding, which is not to say you can't ride a Trance at Modderfontein, but the Anthem is a bit lighter, and more suited to cross country..

I'd take the Trance, purely from a versatility standpoint. Yes, the Anthem can do a fair load more than the average XC only MTB, but the Trance just has the edge both in comfort and ability when the stuff gets rough. There are LOADS of people riding trances on multi-day events, and I'd even go so far to say that they're more comfortable in every application than the Anthem riders.

It's both a more capable bike, and a stronger one (built to handle more punishment)

The only time I'd recommend an Anthem over a Trance is if you're a full on XC racer, and do nothing else.

I agree with the replies above, the Trance is definitely aimed at those who want to have a lot of fun on a mtb… A good combination of versatility and fun

Great thread for me. Please can I ask: what are the weights, or relative difference in weight, between these 2 bikes?

Then: both 650B or 29er?

No real difference in weight, but then Giant don't disclose the full weights of the bikes.

Anthem - 29er.

Trance - 650.

The relaxed HA and longer travel of the Trance will render the bigger wheels useless when it comes to rolling over stuff.

I'd take the Trance, purely from a versatility standpoint. Yes, the Anthem can do a fair load more than the average XC only MTB, but the Trance just has the edge both in comfort and ability when the stuff gets rough. There are LOADS of people riding trances on multi-day events, and I'd even go so far to say that they're more comfortable in every application than the Anthem riders.

It's both a more capable bike, and a stronger one (built to handle more punishment)

The only time I'd recommend an Anthem over a Trance is if you're a full on XC racer, and do nothing else.

Trance for me as well, had a XC Ghost that did the job and was certainly faster but nowhere near as much fun as the Trance! I did the 94.7 on my Trance and regularly do XC rides over 50km on it with no issues.

+1... I think for the majority of people the Trance will do everything that Anthem can do, and more.

Thanks cpt armpies; I'm so sorely tempted by that Trance; heart says yes; bank balance, Mrs baas etc say nyet.

Do you think it has a more relaxed geometry than a Stumpy; or similar?

Why Google when experts are in the Hub house.

Stumpjumper is more aggressive than the Trance. More of a trail bike than a do-it-all.

New trance has a 67 deg head angle vs 69 for the stumpy. Stumpy is only JUST shorter ito wheelbase, but only by 7mm. Trance has a more relaxed seat tube, as well as 10mm shorter chainstays.

So the trance will be more stable, but more playful and easier to lift at the front. Trance also has more travel, but only just...

Giant Anthem 27.5 - Alloy+ XT +- R29k

Giant Trance 27.5 - Alloy + SLX +- R23k

That, I think, must be very close to the value for money sweet spot.