Randpark Ridge / Boskruin Group Rides

Agteros

Let's talk specifics - what routes do people think would work? Could do out on Ysterhout, left on Christiaan de Wet, out to Hendrik Potgieter, over that road (I hear that road is dangerous) onto Paul Kruger, Nic Diedericks etc?

When? Wednesday mornings are good for me. Afternoons are out. I could do weekends though frankly, would rather ride further out of JHB if I have the time as is usually the case on weekends.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's talk specifics - what routes do people think would work? Could do out on Ysterhout, left on Christiaan de Wet, out to Hendrik Potgieter, over that road (I hear that road is dangerous) onto Paul Kruger, Nic Diedericks etc?

When? Wednesday mornings are good for me. Afternoons are out. I could do weekends though frankly, would rather ride further out of JHB if I have the time as is usually the case on weekends.

Nic Diedericks.... Think it is barely narrow enough for normal car traffic... :(

How about:

• Start around Lifestyle/Randridge Mall - going down Ysterhout
  • Left onto Rabie extension (though the dip) up to Malibongwe,
  • Up Malibongwe to the corner of Northumberland Avenue (R564)
  • Left and then all the way to Roodepoort,
  • Up the hill to Ontdekkers
  • Left all the way to Gordon.
  • Left, and left again onto Hendrik Potgieter Road, down next to the highway.
  • Right onto JG Strydom thorugh Weltevredenpark - will have to use Hillfox Powr Centre offramp and parking area to link up,
  • Right onto John Vorster, back to the start

A few climbs to keep the legs honest and some straight, flat(ter) sections to get the speed up :)

Around 38km, and according to Google Earth around 560m of ascent? Will have to ride the route to get actuals though

Something like this:

post-28936-0-82823300-1385134729_thumb.jpg

Ok... Editing complete ;)

Edited by agteros

Strava has the following to say of the above route:

Distance of 38.9km and elevation gain of 619m. OK, so maybe a bit hilly?

post-28936-0-38434200-1385135629_thumb.jpg

By 5am the sun is up and the birdies have taken their first chirping intermission already ;)

Yes I can hear them from my bed . . . Lol

If you guys do the route shown, I would join you near the dome on Northumberland and then leave you somewhere as we came back through Weltervreden - which is where I live :-)

Edited by Bonus

Yes I can hear them from my bed . . . Lol

If you guys do the route shown, I would join you near the dome on Northumberland and then leave you somewhere as we came back through Weltervreden - which is where I live :-)

Gimme this week to box/unbox my life. Busy discoverimg all kinds of junk I did not know I had!

I'm moving to Wilgeheuwel near the driving range this coming weekend.

Woudl also be keen to join up and ride.

Hello chaps

I'm keen on a Randpark ride. I live in Fourways, but work in Honeydew so happy to have a ride @ 5 or so.

I have no idea what / if any routes are safe round here though.

I'm closer to 30/31km/h on my road bike but if I ride my hybrid 26 would be perfect :)

Cheers

News Flash.....there are no safe routes on the roads anymore.

Not sure whether you guys have already finalised logistics?

I am usually ride on Tues am, 5.15

Set off from Malibongwe, Pres Fouche intersection towards Nortwold, turn right into Kelly and continue to lifestyle centre. There cross Beyers and continue up John vorster till I hit Christian Dewet, where I turn left. Go right on Hendrik Potgieter till Peter where I turn right again. Then back on Beyers and right onto Wtkoppen to the dome (or take boundary rd back and end up at Witkoppen @ Aureole Av.

Find this route fairly safe as most roads have wide shoulders and hit those that don't early before traffic gets hectic

Route is 31 km with 440m ascent.

Anyone keen on joining me?

Set off from Malibongwe, Pres Fouche intersection towards Nortwold, turn right into Kelly and continue to lifestyle centre. There cross Beyers and continue up John vorster till I hit Christian Dewet, where I turn left. Go right on Hendrik Potgieter till Peter where I turn right again. Then back on Beyers and right onto Wtkoppen to the dome (or take boundary rd back and end up at Witkoppen @ Aureole Av.

Find this route fairly safe as most roads have wide shoulders and hit those that don't early before traffic gets hectic

Sounds like it could be good. Might be nice to vary it and perhaps try both routes proposed. I am only nervous about the lovely drivers that we share the roads with!

Edited by Scooterza

I am keen. Will join on Kelly, just before Ysterhout where you turn right to go towards Lifestyle.

I am keen. Will join on Kelly, just before Ysterhout where you turn right to go towards Lifestyle.

Cool, shall we start tomorow? I can meet you at intersection betwen Keey and Ysterhout at 6.30-40 ish

Unless it rains, as I am a fullblooded fair weather ride

If anyone is keen to join, I do a mtb ride most weekdays at around 4:30 pm from Eagle Canyon to Ruimsig area and back. Usually get in about 30kms with 400-500 meters of climbing. Some really cool trails in the area but I wont touch them when i'm alone so it's always nice to get a group going.

Cool, shall we start tomorow? I can meet you at intersection betwen Keey and Ysterhout at 6.30-40 ish

Unless it rains, as I am a fullblooded fair weather ride

6:30-40 ish or 5:30-40 ish? You start at 5:15?

If anyone is keen to join, I do a mtb ride most weekdays at around 4:30 pm from Eagle Canyon to Ruimsig area and back. Usually get in about 30kms with 400-500 meters of climbing. Some really cool trails in the area but I wont touch them when i'm alone so it's always nice to get a group going.

How long does it take you? I'd be keen - just need to make sure the MTB is A-OK - been riding road for almost a year!

6:30-40 ish or 5:30-40 ish? You start at 5:15?

My bad, clearly typed too quickly. Had a look at previous round on Strave and reckon I should be there by 5.30-5.35.

See you there?