Rockshox Revelation RLT set up.

Pipsqueak

Hunted for this topic, but no avail.

I bought a brand new Revelation 140mm 650b fork a month back and have ridden it a lot. I am a Fox user, this is my first Rockshox fork, and I have to say… It's OK, but not fantastic. But what bugs me more is that I know I haven't set it up right. Why? Because there is NO information in the product package, and NO information on the Rockshox website, which I find quite amazing - they don't even tell you what each knob does.

So, if there are any died in the wool Rockshox users out there who can help me. I am pretty happy with the big hit performance on the whole, but it's the smaller stuff that's bothering me. My Fox is nice and plush, and uses all available travel, but now I'm way down in pressure with the Revelation and I can't feel much of a difference with the compression fully on or off.

Anyone help me with a 1.2.3 type guide here? I know that the rebound adjust is at the bottom of the stanchion, and I know that there are 3 platforms at the top, with a compression knob at the top. I can ride the bike over rocks and the fork does OK, but when it hits chatter and small bumps it's not nearly as good as the Fox.

...but when it hits chatter and small bumps it's not nearly as good as the Fox.

In that case, it's down to setup. Revelations are many multiples more sensitive to chatter when set up correctly than any Fox fork I've ever felt or owned.

Edited by MH for short

OK, good to know. Thanks for the link too. I think I'm going to start with total mush - 30% sag but least rebound and least compression, and ramp it up from there until I get what I want.

OK, good to know. Thanks for the link too. I think I'm going to start with total mush - 30% sag but least rebound and least compression, and ramp it up from there until I get what I want.

Not too much sag!

• 3 months later...

what i've found with RS forks of late ( i have the same fork as you currently, previously at the revelation RLTi, and currently also have a 2012 boxxer world cup), is that the compression damping is a bit 'light'. It was very noticable on the boxxer until i modified the shimstack to create more mid-stroke compression damping. No more diving in corners.

With the Revelation, the compression damping is not too bad, but I have increased the air pressure in the solo damper to stiffen up the fork a bit more. i prefer the fork higher in its travel. Following the air pressure increase, the fork's performance has been near-flawless. It's a bit rougher than most would like, but once you increase the speed, the trail chatter flattens itself (touch slower rebound to assist with staying off the ground as opposed to following every last undulation in the ground).

The revelation also has this somewhat odd spikey performance in the mid-stroke under high shaft speed conditions. Smash through a rock garden with multiple hits and you'll understand. A couple of other reviews also mention this. It's very minor and doesn't cause deflections in steering or cause the fork to work improperly. it's just an oddity worth mentioning.

I haven't modified the shimstack on the revelation, as I'm holding out for potential acquistion of the Pike variety. But i need convincing that the Pike is lightyears ahead of the revelation, and so far, the reviews have not been very convincing in that regard.

what i've found with RS forks of late ( i have the same fork as you currently, previously at the revelation RLTi, and currently also have a 2012 boxxer world cup), is that the compression damping is a bit 'light'. It was very noticable on the boxxer until i modified the shimstack to create more mid-stroke compression damping. No more diving in corners.

With the Revelation, the compression damping is not too bad, but I have increased the air pressure in the solo damper to stiffen up the fork a bit more. i prefer the fork higher in its travel. Following the air pressure increase, the fork's performance has been near-flawless. It's a bit rougher than most would like, but once you increase the speed, the trail chatter flattens itself (touch slower rebound to assist with staying off the ground as opposed to following every last undulation in the ground).

The revelation also has this somewhat odd spikey performance in the mid-stroke under high shaft speed conditions. Smash through a rock garden with multiple hits and you'll understand. A couple of other reviews also mention this. It's very minor and doesn't cause deflections in steering or cause the fork to work improperly. it's just an oddity worth mentioning.

I haven't modified the shimstack on the revelation, as I'm holding out for potential acquistion of the Pike variety. But i need convincing that the Pike is lightyears ahead of the revelation, and so far, the reviews have not been very convincing in that regard.

I'll give you my full take on my Revelation RCT3 (2014 internals, also features the whole Dig Valve and Rapid Recovery story) sometime this weekend. Took the new Pyga to Tokai for its first ride on Saturday and spent just a little bit of time playing around with the new damper settings, but not enough yet to reach any conclusions (was enjoying the bike's playful nature too much ;)).

I'll give you my full take on my Revelation RCT3 (2014 internals, also features the whole Dig Valve and Rapid Recovery story) sometime this weekend. Took the new Pyga to Tokai for its first ride on Saturday and spent just a little bit of time playing around with the new damper settings, but not enough yet to reach any conclusions (was enjoying the bike's playful nature too much ;)).

*drool*... :clap:

today still?? :P

In that case, it's down to setup. Revelations are many multiples more sensitive to chatter when set up correctly than any Fox fork I've ever felt or owned.

Couldn't agree more. Had a 150mm Revelation on my Tracer. Replaced it with a Fox 36. Went straight back to a Revelation.

Couldn't agree more. Had a 150mm Revelation on my Tracer. Replaced it with a Fox 36. Went straight back to a Revelation.

I have to admit, the change to Solo Air has reduced that amazing small-bump compliance just a tad. I love the feel of a correctly set up dual air fork...

I have to admit, the change to Solo Air has reduced that amazing small-bump compliance just a tad. I love the feel of a correctly set up dual air fork...

I know... just makes it that much better when set up correctly

For sure. Look it's probably not fair to compare the Fox 36 to the Revelation. The 36 being more "big hit", where as the Revelation is more "trail" orientated, but stil, that dual air Revelation is just smooth as butter when set up correctly. And once you've experienced that butteryness, any other fork seems sticky and harsh by comparison. It's the sh*t.

which 36 was it the range And What Did You Not Like