Hardtail MTB - Momsen, Silverback, Spesialized

scuzzy

Interesting, thanks

Why buy carbon then, because it is actually stiffer than Alu?

I've also heard that it is better to have a 27.2 seatpost than say a 30 on a 29'er, is that true?

27.2 will flex more than a 30 but better I don't know

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think 'flex' is the question.

The weave on most carbon frames is manipulated to give you vertical flex to take up trail chatter and zero lateral flex so when you put power through the drive train you dont lose anything.

Alu will have a more even flex both ways but will not soak up the small vibrations as well as the carbon. (In theory)

It comes down to opinion. Some guys swear by their carbon, others by Alu... I rode a couple of Titanium bikes and the road bike feels good but the MTB feels stringy on the rough stuff.

Again, like with most things cycling, one man's trash is another man's treasure. There is no right or wrong answer

Agree on that. With regards to soaking up the small vibration, I can not feel much of a diff. love the carbon and alu, or must I say I just love to ride a bike

Interesting, thanks

Why buy carbon then, because it is actually stiffer than Alu?

I've also heard that it is better to have a 27.2 seatpost than say a 30 on a 29'er, is that true?

Well because it carbon and its cooler...and I am being serious here. Also carbon frames are generally lighter, so if you are watching weight, carbon is your first port...and yes stiffer is really its allure...

I don't think 'flex' is the question.

The weave on most carbon frames is manipulated to give you vertical flex to take up trail chatter and zero lateral flex so when you put power through the drive train you dont lose anything.

Alu will have a more even flex both ways but will not soak up the small vibrations as well as the carbon. (In theory)

It comes down to opinion. Some guys swear by their carbon, others by Alu... I rode a couple of Titanium bikes and the road bike feels good but the MTB feels stringy on the rough stuff.

Again, like with most things cycling, one man's trash is another man's treasure. There is no right or wrong answer

I like....have bikes in all three materials and they are all great. But I have a soft spot for my steel donkey :blush:

Edited by rouxtjie

I like....have bikes in all three materials and they are all great. But I have a soft spot for my steel donkey :blush:

Haha.. Snap!

99 rides out of 100... But mine are sleek panthers... Donkeys! PSHT!

The top of the range cannondale Flash alu 29er, I think it was just over R21000, was one of the nicest bikes I ever had.

I had a Momsen SL929 before the Flash, if I have to choose now I will take the flash above the, twice as expensive momsen. (but my momsen was a medium and although I usually ride a medium the momsen was to big for me, so make sure about the size if you go for a momsen)

Edited by koukie

The top of the range cannondale Flash alu 29er, I think it was just over R21000, was one of the nicest bikes I ever had.

I had a Momsen SL929 before the Flash, if I have to choose now I will take the flash above the, twice as expensive momsen. (but my momsen was a medium and although I usually ride a medium the momsen was to big for me, so make sure about the size if you go for a momsen)

The top flash alu is around R28k. I have often thought of going this route rather than the carbon 3. Again, can't seem to find any LBS who is willing to do a god deal.

The Storm is a great bike with XT and Crest wheels. Value for money it is hard to beat. It is the bike I went for I have never been sorry. But there is a steel bike out there that has caught my eye - the Cotic Solaris - have to get one sometime!

Pimped with what? And where should I go to for this? :)

I bought a 2013 Flash Alu 2 from my LBS.

Swapped out the Deore crank and FD for XT, the Magura brake for XT and the rear hub for Hope.

Kept the Frequency i19, added race king protection tyres and a set of XT pedals.

10.5 kg ready to ride and under 30 k :drool:

30K for a hardtail, you choices are endless. Best bet is to build your own bike to your own specs. I wish I had a 30K dilemma on buying a bike :(

What kind of riding do you want to do, first deceide this then start looking at frames or complete bikes.

Are you thinking 29er or 650b?

Edited by Caerus