Hardtail MTB - Momsen, Silverback, Spesialized

scuzzy

Hardly the type of bikes one should put next toe each other.

Trying to get my head around which hardtail to buy and what budget would be enough.

I want to spend around R30k for that I would like a carbon hardtail. I will take the standard wheel with the idea to upgrade later on.

From what I've seen, it is much of a muchness when in comes to a hardtail, yes geometry is very important, but at this stage I am not convinced that a R50k hardtail will ride easier that a R30k from the same manufacturer.

Momsen is quite good value for money and it is local, something like the 729, Silverback Storm is also good value for money, not sure if it is still the flavour of the month and the you have the Stumpy, which for some odd reason just do not look as nice/aggresive as other hardtails.

One could off course also go the Rocky Mountain/Giant route.

Any suggestion, or should I rather save up for something like the Spez Epic or Scott full sus.

This is mainly for cross country/marathon type riding.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the momsen and now ride the spez stumpy ht carbon. Both bike are nice but I prefer riding the spez. It is a race machine ( or that is how it make me feel). Will buy it again if I want a new bike!! Where are you, if in joburg then we can meet up and you can take mine for a ride if you are a medium. Think there is still a special on the momsen 729 for R21 500.

One point, if you buy the spez let the shop change the brake pads from 7.3 to 7.2

The best will be to test all of them and then get the one you like most

Edited by flat29

Wheel Size?

If 29er then stay away from Giant as they have just recently come out and said that they believe the 29er market will die down and they are now no longer doing any advancements etc on the 29er bike and only concentrating on the 650B.

My opinion is that the Momsen is a better buy, a lot more bike for your money than the rest.

I am in the same boat at the moment - been looking at the Canondale Flash Carbon 3 actually - slight more expensive but hoping to find a LBS that will do a deal. So far not winning :drool:

The Momsen does look nice as well.

Thanks Flat, unfortunately in Cape Town. I do agree that one needs to go tide with them, to make sure. I would love to buy the Spez, but honestly, the Stumpy looks weird for some reason, not saying though that I wouldn't buy it, that is just where my head sits at the moment. Do you think the Spez feel better because it is a Spez, or because of geometry?

ScottC-M - do we still mention wheel size ;-) Looking at 29'er. Make sense what you are saying about the wheel size from Giant, I forgot about that one.

@finallygotabike, agree, but is is a bit more expensive for the carbon, not sure you can get a carbon Flash for 30k?

Wheel Size?

If 29er then stay away from Giant as they have just recently come out and said that they believe the 29er market will die down and they are now no longer doing any advancements etc on the 29er bike and only concentrating on the 650B.

My opinion is that the Momsen is a better buy, a lot more bike for your money than the rest.

Better buy? It depends what you looking at

momsen 729 comes with x7 x9 mix ( not my cup of tea) but with crest rims (nice) shock reba

spez xt,sram mix with slx shifters roval wheels (bit heavy but bullet proof) reba shock

think momse comes in at 10.9 and spez 11

@finallygotabike, agree, but is is a bit more expensive for the carbon, not sure you can get a carbon Flash for 30k?

Yes, hence me saying not winning yet :whistling:

Silverback Storm with FULL XT is the best specced bike for the price. Really a bulletproof bike, most brands advertise their bikes as an XT spec bike but then it is only the crank, rear derailluer, and brake levers.

Think the Storm retails for around R27500...my team mate at this years Epic rode the Silverback Storm with no issues.

hi, I have had my silverback storm since Feb, great bike, super comfy for me and I love the look. no issues to date. good luck

@AuctionLamb I've heard that on the Storm, the rear wheel rubs against the frame, which is causing problems, any knowledge of that?

The Storm really is a good looking bike.

I was also looking at the storm and the spez but got the spez for R24 500.

IMHO I will look at the storm or spez. Storm has the best components of all, full XT

Have not heard of the wheel rubbing against the frame. Know BMC has some problem like that on the HT frames

Think storm was bike of the year 2012

Edited by flat29

Get a chinese carbon i absolutely love mine. Frame cost me $360 and i ordered a carbon seat post and handlebars. Built it up with fox 100mm fork, ztr crest wheels and xt spec. weighs in at 9.95kg with the pedals. I have ridden it hard for the last 6 months and its awesome. The entire build cost me R18 500 Contact Hong Fu or locally www.carbon29er.com

post-9483-0-52814500-1385026423_thumb.jpg