How to Strip Off the Paint and Polish an Aluminium MTB Frame

Tractor

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to a photo posted by divernick I ended up deciding not to send the frame off to be spray painted at this point but to polish the entire thing. Back to the local Builders warehouse and I get myself a polishing attachment that fits on any electric drill.

So how do you use this thing? Do you "grind" that polishing soap onto the pad?

rub "soap" onto pad while the disc is spinning then take the disc to the bike. the soap is the cutting compound, sand paper like but finer. be careful and don't go to course or it cuts down to much.

• 9 months later...

And so the polishing begins :) Make no mistake it's a seriously dirty business and it didn't take long for me to put on a long sleeve dust coat, safety glasses, and a pair of gloves; even with wearing all this I ended up looking like a coal miner when I finished.

At first I tried doing large sections of frame at a time but pretty quickly worked out that concentrating on a small piece and getting that polished up nicely before moving on to the next section was actually faster. Patience is the key though. I also thought I'd be clever and fit the polisher to my big Makita drill - wrong move, it's too fast and it's also to big and clumsy to work with - my smaller drill worked much better.

Tx for the inspiration

I'm in the polishing phase, how long did it take to do the polishing?

Which compound did you use to get the shiny finish?

I bought the same attachment as you did, however it's gone black and depositing a fine dust on the frame and it requires hard rubbing to remove it, did this happen to you?

Tx for the inspiration

I'm in the polishing phase, how long did it take to do the polishing?

Which compound did you use to get the shiny finish?

I bought the same attachment as you did, however it's gone black and depositing a fine dust on the frame and it requires hard rubbing to remove it, did this happen to you?

Compound is too remove contaminates and marks from paint. 

Polish will bring out the natural shine. 

Wax is to protect your paint and also provide a shine. 

Edited by venom1

• 4 months later...

Anodized the frame in a natural finish, the polished look remains and gives a deep lustre. If possible go for a 20 to 25 micron depth as that will also add strength. Called hard anodizing.

Anodized the frame in a natural finish, the polished look remains and gives a deep lustre. If possible go for a 20 to 25 micron depth as that will also add strength. Called hard anodizing.

Where can I get this done? How much should I expect to pay?

Thanks for the inspiration fellow hubbers, my ride looks really schweet.

Nice!

I'm on my second naked alu frame project.

Slow going, but worth it.

Where can I get this done? How much should I expect to pay?

http://www.astroholdings.co.za/astro-anodising-aluminium-finishing.html

They are in Sebenza, had some cranks and some small bits done in March, very happy with the results, although the Sq taper cranks have finally been retired so the anodising was wasted on them.

They now have a minimum charge of around R400, so make sure you have enough to make it worth while, I know in the past my bits would have only been around R150 max. If i had asked, :-) I probably would have added quite a few more parts to be done at the same time.

http://www.astroholdings.co.za/astro-anodising-aluminium-finishing.html

They are in Sebenza, had some cranks and some small bits done in March, very happy with the results, although the Sq taper cranks have finally been retired so the anodising was wasted on them.

They now have a minimum charge of around R400, so make sure you have enough to make it worth while, I know in the past my bits would have only been around R150 max. If i had asked, :-) I probably would have added quite a few more parts to be done at the same time.

You can also try splash anodising in Pretoria - he can do fancy patterns and colours too...

Edit - just a contact for Splash - https://www.facebook.com/SplashAnodizing?fref=ts

Edited by V12man

Take it to a place that does metal polishing and get them to do it... lots of work to do it yourself without machine tools.

Yes +1

V12 - you are a man of infinite wisdom and a source of useless information.

You can buff that ally till it is brighter than chrome then seal it in a layer of clear. You will have the machine around. Seriously.

I have wanted to do this in the past but have never got around to it. Thing is metal polishing is a dirty and tedious process - I have done it with smaller pieces and it really is painful.

Check here what can be achieved - this isn't chromed - this is buffed ally.

post-2565-0-96365600-1433147280_thumb.jpeg

Yes +1

V12 - you are a man of infinite wisdom and a source of useless information.

You can buff that ally till it is brighter than chrome then seal it in a layer of clear. You will have the machine around. Seriously.

I have wanted to do this in the past but have never got around to it. Thing is metal polishing is a dirty and tedious process - I have done it with smaller pieces and it really is painful.

Check here what can be achieved - this isn't chromed - this is buffed ally.

attachicon.gifBuffed Frame.jpeg

Polishing metal is a long, dirty and thankless task... :) I have done a few pieces myself (and I have a few power tools to help) and it's not one I reccomend to anyone... especially when it's stainless steel.....

Fortunately I am not a huge fan of aluminium framed bikes (thanks to an old cannondale road bike) .... but mirror polished stainless espresso machines I have a minor fetish for.... polishing scratched panels I outsource as far as possible.... hard won experience....

Have a chat to Mark from astro holdings. Last one I did was about 350 bucks and that was two months ago.

Polishing metal is a long, dirty and thankless task... :) I have done a few pieces myself (and I have a few power tools to help) and it's not one I reccomend to anyone... especially when it's stainless steel.....

Fortunately I am not a huge fan of aluminium framed bikes (thanks to an old cannondale road bike) .... but mirror polished stainless espresso machines I have a minor fetish for.... polishing scratched panels I outsource as far as possible.... hard won experience....

Could not agree more about the polishing process but i am sure I can change your mind about the ally though. How about a nice set of polished ally hats for some 380mm disc brakes???