Some trail questions to those in the know!

Mojoman

A couple of questions to those who currently run/plan trails.

Is having an A4 map acceptable, showing major roads, dirt roads, side paths and rivers etc? The idea is not to have too much signage or markers. But I dont want people getting lost of going where they shouldnt. Do I need to make GPS files available for downloading? While its fun to explore I also realise its no fun getting lost in an area you dont know.

How do you control access over a large area where people would be able to enter at various points? I am thinking that a club needs to be formed, memberships paid, a number board given and this to be displayed on bikes riding through properties. Granted there will be the odd person who does not know (or care) but I suppose this is how it is when trails cross over roads etc (like at Van Gaalens). You cant control everything.

What sort of fee could you charge for this? The idea is not to make money in a profit sense but rather to only to pay for maintanance and upkeep of the routes as well as promotion of the routes.

Seeing how the idea is to have several start points I am not sure how to control this. Having one start point solves these issues but then it defeats the idea that I have to promote exploring and having numerous routes to ride from adventurous to just fun.

should be less than R20 a ride! for a season ticket. nothing better than clearly marked trails if you ask me. keep in mind that not everyone is gonna have a GPS enabled device!

should be less than R20 a ride! for a season ticket. nothing better than clearly marked trails if you ask me. keep in mind that not everyone is gonna have a GPS enabled device!

So a 'season ticket' so to speak (as we wouldnt be able to do single rides due to control and management issues) would be acceptable at around R150-200 per rider per annum? or would this seem too much? Obviously as the length and quality of routes increase over time then so would the fee.

So a 'season ticket' so to speak (as we wouldnt be able to do single rides due to control and management issues) would be acceptable at around R150-200 per rider per annum? or would this seem too much? Obviously as the length and quality of routes increase over time then so would the fee.

That would be a lowball figure for sure. Jonkershoek here in CT has an annual fee of R 225 per rider, whereas Tokai (being SANParks vs Cape Pine) is R 360 or so. So that's what you have to aim for. Tafelberg is more expensive than that, even. Don't go above R 400 per year.

In terms of access control, the board system works very well - no board, no ride. But keep spares for day trippers so that they can get access as well without being accosted as "freeloaders"

In terms of the trail map - that's something we're wondering in Tokai: whether to do downloadable GPS maps etc. But at the end of the day, you'll always be looking at the screen wondering which way to go. The A4 foldable map solution would be far better imo. Something that you can whip out and get your bearings instantly. GPS co-ordinates would be good at all the trailheads though, so people can get in and mark their spots. But at the end of the day, GPS co-ordinates are most useful to your Emergency Services okes, who WILL need to know where they're going. The trail map needs to be concise and clear. Legends and not too many colours...

But yeah - A4 map would be great.

From an insurance point of view - you WILL need some sort of insurance for the trails if you're thinking of building there for the general public to ride. Contact Meurant Botha (Dirtopia) or Bennet Nel (Ace of Spades) or Hylton Turvey. Also Pain or Shine. They would know what sort of thing you need to adhere to and put into place. Affiliation with AMARider may be in order, so that you can (through them) conform to IMBA standards, which is generally a pre-requisite when it comes to getting some sort of public liability cover. Then the trails need to be rationalized and graded etc etc. It's a long drawn out process, but it needs to happen if it's open to the public.

Good luck dude, and lemme know where they are! Wanna ride them!

That would be a lowball figure for sure. Jonkershoek here in CT has an annual fee of R 225 per rider, whereas Tokai (being SANParks vs Cape Pine) is R 360 or so. So that's what you have to aim for. Tafelberg is more expensive than that, even. Don't go above R 400 per year.

In terms of access control, the board system works very well - no board, no ride. But keep spares for day trippers so that they can get access as well without being accosted as "freeloaders"

In terms of the trail map - that's something we're wondering in Tokai: whether to do downloadable GPS maps etc. But at the end of the day, you'll always be looking at the screen wondering which way to go. The A4 foldable map solution would be far better imo. Something that you can whip out and get your bearings instantly. GPS co-ordinates would be good at all the trailheads though, so people can get in and mark their spots. But at the end of the day, GPS co-ordinates are most useful to your Emergency Services okes, who WILL need to know where they're going. The trail map needs to be concise and clear. Legends and not too many colours...

From an insurance point of view - you WILL need some sort of insurance for the trails if you're thinking of building there for the general public to ride. Contact Meurant Botha (Dirtopia) or Bennet Nel (Ace of Spades) or Hylton Turvey. Also Pain or Shine. They would know what sort of thing you need to adhere to and put into place. Affiliation with AMARider may be in order, so that you can (through them) conform to IMBA standards, which is generally a pre-requisite when it comes to getting some sort of public liability cover. Then the trails need to be rationalized and graded etc etc. It's a long drawn out process, but it needs to happen if it's open to the public.

Thanks, am waiting for Amarider to come back to me. Thankfully 20 years of living here and working in the tourism industry has put me in touch with most people I need to know so it makes a difference when you approach someone for assistance. Some contacts have been put forth to approach with the possibility of some initial funding and assistance.

We are also fortunate to have a lawyer who is a venue owner and can assist with the legalities of this.

The idea is to have a large network of trails and dort roads all linking up so visitors can explore the area from a tourism point of view (come out here for a easy 30km ride and have lunch etc somewhere at one of our venues etc) or come and do some training that would include dirt roads for distance as well as numerous paths and trails for fun and technical experience (all trails to begin with would be pre-exisiting from either pedestrian or livestock traffic).

The 2 biggest problems we seem to be encountering is what to charge and how to control access.

All Out Adventures in KZN uses a plastic/paper band off differing colour which I think is a nice alternative to boards. Those that you get at clubs or festivals .Swampdogs uses an sms system to notify members of rides and news. If you have a board with costs and info at access points I'm sure you'll get people joining, subscribing and supporting. Rogue riders will remain a problem but if you can communicate with members you have more riders to try and flush them out or rope them in.

• 2 weeks later...

WHAT he said !! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

What area are you in??