this AR the Adventure Racing thread

Shebeen

as cool as this look and as awesome as it must be to take part, where do you get R44 000 to enter? 

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

as cool as this look and as awesome as it must be to take part, where do you get R44 000 to enter? 

Well that is per team of 4 and includes accommodation, so you are paying 10k each plus food. 

For a race of this magnitude that is not bad. Guys are paying more than that for a 3 day stage race on trails you can ride any weekend of the year.

It's an event on the world series, it isn't going to be for free.

for this one, it includes a tourism sponsored connecting flight from mauritius mainland to rodriguez too.

but ja, it can seem like a lot, but it doesn't scale up, we get a maximum of 40/50 teams , so 150-200 people max. Then you need to move on to a new area next year so essentially starting from scratch. I weigh it up each year, and feel like i get good value for what we put in.

It's definitely not a getrich scheme!

• 3 weeks later...

So on the Adventure racing front_ we raced the Nevarest 36hour race in Pilgrims rest on the weekend.

Lets just say it was tough, proper tough, absolutely spectacular route though but there is no flat ground there. From the guys who had gps watches sealed in their bags there was over 6500m elevation gain when the batteries died long before the end of the race.

We were expecting a 20-24 hour afk*** but after 33 odd hours we crossed the line collecting all but the last checkpoint, which only 1 team managed to collect, all in all a great but rather cold weekend racing.

Who is all in for the Cyanosis race?

So on the Adventure racing front_ we raced the Nevarest 36hour race in Pilgrims rest on the weekend.

Lets just say it was tough, proper tough, absolutely spectacular route though but there is no flat ground there. From the guys who had gps watches sealed in their bags there was over 6500m elevation gain when the batteries died long before the end of the race.

We were expecting a 20-24 hour afk*** but after 33 odd hours we crossed the line collecting all but the last checkpoint, which only 1 team managed to collect, all in all a great but rather cold weekend racing.

Who is all in for the Cyanosis race?

I heard it was a bit of fun!

We had to can the Cyanosis race due to me being tied up but will be in Robertson for the WCAD race.

This A1 series is what we needed back in the mix

• 2 weeks later...

suggestions for non gps odometers for AR? needs to be tough and accurate?

I go with a simple wired one. Accuracy is all in setting up correctly.

Then you put one on each bike for redundancy.

I second the wired ones. The cateye one seems to be a bit more weather proof than the giant one I had.

• 2 weeks later...

went with a cheap and cheerful wired device, seems solid enough...

Anyone else racing the Cyanosis A1 Race this weekend, looks like a rather competitive field...

went with a cheap and cheerful wired device, seems solid enough...

Anyone else racing the Cyanosis A1 Race this weekend, looks like a rather competitive field...

We were looking at flying in from CT, but couldn't get it all together.

I am the lucky guy putting on race 4, so that's keeping me busy too

I am passing on Rodrigues for next year...

I want to go to Itera in Scotland, can you imagine the sleep monsters paddling on Loch Ness..

We looked at that as well but went with supporting the Mullers.

The race format looks really fun and different.

Ya Rodriguers will be a fun one, more a tough beach outdoor holiday than a race I think, Stephan is going to have to be creative to get 350km of racing on an island that is 18km long. But I do agree the whole your boat is your transition vibe is going to be awesome, esp if you can handle a sail...

• 2 weeks later...

Ya Rodriguers will be a fun one, more a tough beach outdoor holiday than a race I think, Stephan is going to have to be creative to get 350km of racing on an island that is 18km long. But I do agree the whole your boat is your transition vibe is going to be awesome, esp if you can handle a sail...

but will the Red Ants be coming to Race4?got to stay top of the log, and then you get to go to Godzone!

https://adventure1series.com/results/south-africa/

I made my first ever hubevent:

https://www.bikehub.co.za/index.php?app=hubevents&module=core&do=view_event&event_id=3313