Beginner MTB Trails in Gauteng?

Nalith

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Question re. Rietvlei I often see ppl park their cars and then exit and cross over the road and go off there. Is there another trail there? Is that the free version?

Yup. There are plenty of routes out to Walkerville and surrounds. You can easily put together a couple hundred km out there. Sand roads, jeep and single track through farm lands.

Should start a thread for group rides from there

They are going on a out ride , normally towards Walkerville , normally in a group so rather join up with some guys than go it alone .

Try the green route at Modderfontein - mainly jeep track and not a lot of elevation. I think it is about 16-18 kms. Maybe this is the next option once you have mastered Rietvlei and your fitness levels are up. If you need directions then PM me

Try the green route at Modderfontein - mainly jeep track and not a lot of elevation. I think it is about 16-18 kms. Maybe this is the next option once you have mastered Rietvlei and your fitness levels are up. If you need directions then PM me

Thanks, I will.

+1 on the spruit to start.

The river route at VG ain't too bad either, though not as flat.

We all call it Rietvlei,

It WAS officially/previously called the Vlei Cycle Park

But was recently renamed to Rietvlei Cycle Park

G

They are the same place. ;)

We all call it Rietvlei,

It WAS officially/previously called the Vlei Cycle Park

But was recently renamed to Rietvlei Cycle Park

G

So yup, same place...

Ye ye, never argued, just listed the cane, so that if others wondered/noticed the different name.

G

So yup, same place...

Question - I find Rietvlei a lot harder than modders - Rietvlei has some tight cornering and some of those rocky bits are hectic for me, often end up having to get off or connecting a tree. Is it purely a distance thing?

Yeah

Just ride more

It gets easier

And where you walk today, plan to try and ride tomorrow,

G

I get that, just wondering why Rietvlei is considered easier - if I understood correctly

I shaved another 40mins off my modders green trail time today - very chuffed

Yeah

I get that, just wondering why Rietvlei is considered easier - if I understood correctly

40 mins!!!!!, nice, well done!!, wish I could get through yellow 40 mins faster......

hmm, ok, ye sorry. cheap chirp by me ;)

agree, Rietvlei Green can probably be a bit technical at spots for a real beginner.

guess the riding can be divided in 2 types, parks where is just long long distance of grail road, jeep track, single track of various inclines etc, these are normally the longer distances, would label northern farm, and probably Modderfontein under these.

and then

the shorter more technical MTB parks, here I'd list Van Gaalen, Rietvlei & Thaba. with either Rietvlei and Thaba being just lots of up and down if you stay on the Green, or serious technical if you add the blue bits.

If you're fit, and just want distance and up and down, also look at Thaba Green, (I'd say other than the little piece at Firestation and then the real last bit just before you get to the fence at Aspen it's nothing technical).

G

Yeah

Groenkloof is a good option as well. It doesn't have marked trails by colour but you can easily do 15km on jeep track without any single track. So no technical stuff and a few decent hills to challenge you (if you want to tackle them).

Also a lot of single track available that isn't very tough, give it a try!