TMB - Cape Town Road Ride

Rydogg

May seem like a silly question, but is the aim to go flat out up the climbs or tempo?

Just so that I can know what type of session i am doing to structure the intensity of my week around it.

Thanks.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to Rule Myself out as we are in racing season & after a hard Sundays race the last thing you want on Monday morning is another sufferefest. Might be keen if it's another day during the week i.e.Tuesday or Thursday preferably.

Adding climbing just once a week does wonders to your riding.

110%. Kick started my preseason with 2 weeks climbing in the UK. Came back strong.

110%. Kick started my preseason with 2 weeks climbing in the UK. Came back strong.

did you do

box hill?

did you do

box hill?

Box hill, Titsy Hill, Star Hill, Westerham Hill, Yorks (home of the Catford Hill Climb comp), Becs and a lot more. Nasty b*stds with 8 - 24% on them with a sprinters frame and 85 kegs on the saddle. 80 odd kms, every other day taking in at least 4 climbs. By the end of it I felt like I'd been on a real boot camp.

Box isn't a bad hill at all. Averages at about 5% but is about 3kms long with a couple of 7% bits. Only becomes an issue if you're pounding up it in a race and doing lap after lap on it.

Nek, Geneva, Glen, Camps Bay Drive and all the slopes that little circle of pain are equally placed and brilliant fun.

Yip, it must fit in with the rest of your training program. I find that I can't fit more than one solid climbing session in per week.

We can change the day if everyone agrees. Sundays are my off days, so Mondays are good for me at the moment.

The pace up the hills will depend on the group that you ride with. Flat out vs. tempo is all relative. But the climbs are relatively short, so there will only be 2 or 3 minutes between most riders.

TMB has added this ride to the calendar of regular rides. I don't own a road bike, but have a loan bike at the moment. It's too small (58cm and I need a 60cm), but I'll still give this ride a go every second week ,I think.

Table Mountain Bikers rides:

Monday, Road as per this thread

Tuesday, Ladies mellow morning Mtb ride

Wednesday, Morning Coffee ride to the Blockhouse

Thursday,Night Ride with Beers & Burgers at Van Hunks afterwards. We have a regular table.

For the racing snakes or those that enjoy a challenge. Go out and try the Mountain Goat TT. Search for it on Strava.

For TMB members there are monthly Powerbar hampers to be won (if you win, you can't win again for 3 months).

February is a KOM month on the Goat where riders have to gather at the start and set off in 1m intervals. Fastest Male & Female, plus one "other" category win a custom made KOM jersey with your time printed on the back. Courtesy of Enjoy Fitness.

It's not a road course , but you might want to give it a go.

For the racing snakes or those that enjoy a challenge. Go out and try the Mountain Goat TT. Search for it on Strava.

For TMB members there are monthly Powerbar hampers to be won (if you win, you can't win again for 3 months).

February is a KOM month on the Goat where riders have to gather at the start and set off in 1m intervals. Fastest Male & Female, plus one "other" category win a custom made KOM jersey with your time printed on the back. Courtesy of Enjoy Fitness.

It's not a road course , but you might want to give it a go.

i'll be keen for this.

I forgot to add that to claim the jersey, you also have to be a TMB member. Everyone is welcome to ride of course, but the shirt is exclusively for members.

I will announce the race date in the next 2 weeks.

You guys on strava ? So we can judge your times and stuff ?? :ph34r:

Just kidding, but on a serious note. I do those hills around that time once or twice a week, i follow a program so days change.

Don't forget to bring your climbing legs on Monday morning. Try get there warmed up.

Check the first post for details.

Edited by Rydogg