Sram X01 front with X0 rear

Carbon Junky

I am busy with a build and I am considering using a single chainblade crank on the front with a 10 speed rear setup. Since Im no expert in mountain bike setups, is this possible?

Yes... The cranks are cranks. The X01 setup costs so much because of the 11 speed cassette, shifter and clutch rd.

The Sram X01 cranks would even work with a Shimano rear end.....

Thanks a lot guys, after doing some research of my own, I have found that Sram actually built the X01 crank to be able to work with both the 10 and 11 speed setups and even confirms it on some of their pages. So it is possible to build a single 1x10 setup and save a lot of cash at the end of the day

As everyone has said, it works perfectly. I run XX1 cranks with a short-cage X9 type 2 derailleur and normal 10spd chain. I haven't dropped the chain once in 2 months worth of riding, and I'm no light XC rider (a good test having been an Enduro race on a hardtail, where zero suspension means merciless chain bouncing).

Do it, you won't regret it.

Sounds like sram are a few years ahead in mtb with technology. I'm a roadie so all this info is very interesting. I'm busy building a merida ninety nine hfs 3000D with DT swiss rear shock and Rockshox SID RLT front shocks. This is for a friend new to cycling. I want to add a Rotor chainring in the mix, any advice?

The XO1 blade with 104 BCD (Bolt circle diameter) will fit most standard cranksets. Saw them at CWC online...Otherwise you can buy a XO1 crankset or XX1 crankset with their blades.