Sram X01 front with X0 rear

Carbon Junky

And are there different bcd cranks from sram? As W@nted said 104BCD, I saw 74BCD on some? What would be the best BCD configuration when you want to replace parts later? I'm asking this because just reading through one shop, I've noticed a lot of different BCD sizes compared to road BCD sizes where you only have compact 110BCD, standard sram/shim 130BCD and then campag 135bcd

This is what I am running at the moment:

Race face crank 104bcd (best variety of narrow wides available in his BCD) with either Wolftooth 30 or 32 (depending on terrain) narrow wide chainring.

Rear cassette is a SRAM 11/36. Have just ordered a 42T cog from oneupcomponents. Will remove the 17T and add the 42T giving me an 11/42.

Running this with a SRAM X9 Type 2 Medium cage Derailler.

Normal 10 speed chain SRAM 1050.

I do XCO which is harsh on drivetrain and no issues whatsoever. Smooth shifts and no dropped chains.

The 42T will be here end January and will post on it then.

IMO go for 104BCD and any crank that has that. Get a Wolftooth chainring and you good to go upfront.

Another question, what is meant by Q-factor

How wide the cranks are, you need the right one for your frame so the crank arms don't connect the chain stays.

As

Good question.

As far as I have it, Q factor is personal setup and preference, and not frame specific.

Well at least that is my understanding of it

The wolf tooth chainrings are available from Evobikes. You can try get Raceface narrow wides from various cycling shops.

Oneupcomponents.com for the 42T cog. You can order online and they are shipping middle January. As far as I know they are not available locally yet.

As

As far as I have it, Q factor is personal setup and preference, and not frame specific.

Well at least that is my understanding of it

Some frames have specific requirements, like my 26" Flash.

The Q Factor of a bicycle is the distance between the pedal attachment points on the crank arms, when measured parallel to the bottom bracket axle.[1] It may also be referred to as the "tread" of the crankset. The term was coined by Grant Petersen during his time at Bridgestone Bicycles.[2]

Q Factor is a function of both the bottom bracket width (axle length) and the crank arms. Bottom brackets axles vary in length from 102mm to 127mm. Mountain bike cranks are typically about 20mm wider than road cranks.[3]

A larger Q Factor (wider tread) will mean less cornering clearance (while pedaling) for the same bottom bracket height and crank arm length. A smaller Q Factor (narrower tread) is desirable on faired recumbent bicycles because then the fairing can also be narrower, hence smaller and lighter.[3] Sheldon Brown claims that a narrower tread is ergonomically superior because it more closely matches the nearly-inline track of human footsteps.[4]

Though it seems intuitive that a narrower tread is superior, a walking person must put their foot more to the centerline of the body to balance. This is not the case when pedaling a bicycle, where the "steps" are so very close together and balance a non-issue.[citation needed]

Recent scientific research has emerged from The University of Birmingham in the United Kingdom that shows narrower Q Factors are more efficient, likely due to improved application of force during the pedal stroke [5]

There we go.... Q factor..... JFGI

Wolftooth is making a 42 tooth blade just like one up components to fit on the rear. If the demand is big enough they are going to make a 40 tooth as well. Hopefully evobikes will bring them in. The 42 from one up components is a bit steep.

The Wolftooth 42T is still some weeks away from been available. I do not know what their cog will look like but the oneupcomponents 42T has 12 shifting ramps. I doubt if the WT 42T is going to be any cheaper though. Paid $85 for the Oneup.

I have the WT chain rings and they are fantastic.