Large phones - where to keep?

paul_ct

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to keep my S2 either in my back shirt pocket, or in the top tube mounted bag, until last weekend when I fell on the side of the M4 and cracked the screen on my S2. I have not yet taken my Xperia Z1 for a ride. I think I am going to rather repair the S2 and use that phone for riding.

Good luck repairing it, they want to charge a fortune to replace screens on these big phones.

My OH got a quote for R5000 to replace the screen on his Xperia Z!

You can buy this from Sportsman's Warehouse, or order direct from Hong Kong cheaper. I have one, and ordered an extra mount for my second bike directly from Hong Kong which duly arrived after 3 weeks by normal mail (2 weeks sitting in local PO).

It hasn't been drop tested yet, or dipped into a river, but the case seems sturdy enough and it's like wide screen TV with my S3 on the handlebars!

http://bikeconsole.com/detail.asp?catid=88187&Pdtid=689955

That company had better proceed with caution. Opel AG will have them for brekfiss...

Good luck repairing it, they want to charge a fortune to replace screens on these big phones.

My OH got a quote for R5000 to replace the screen on his Xperia Z!

:w00t: I hope I never have to replace the screen on my Z1. I went to the local china mall yesterday and the cost for the S2 screen is R1300. I dont think a 2 year old phone warrants such a costly repair. I may just buy myself a cheap R500 andriod phone to load strava.

I have one of these biggish Samsung phones. Where is a safe place to carry them?

put it in a wheelie cabin bag. hook it on the back of your bike and tow it along...

kinda like, ooooh i have a woody wot must i do????

Going by the price of just under R11,000 (I mean come on, 11k for a phone?) I saw attached to an Iphone yesterday I would suggest leaving it in a safe somewhere. With an armed guard and an attack dog somewhere close at hand.

Going by the price of just under R11,000 (I mean come on, 11k for a phone?) I saw attached to an Iphone yesterday I would suggest leaving it in a safe somewhere. With an armed guard and an attack dog somewhere close at hand.

Buying a phonw cash is a waste of money. My contract is R399 a month. Cash price of the phone is R9500. Works out cheaper over the 2 years on contract, without factoring in time value of money, and buying the phone cash still leaves you having to buy airtime.

• 3 weeks later...

Forgot to secure my Note II during a speedy MTB descent on Table Mountain few weeks ago. Phone went flying from my back pocket and smacked the rocky terrain. Rider behind me spotted it and handed my very cracked phone to me when I stopped to adjust a brake lever. Touch functionality still worked perfectly. No insurance and Samsung's free glass replacement warranty doesn't apply to the Note II. Found a dude on gumtree that replaced my glass for R900. Did a decent job considering how tricky it is. Youtube shows that you need stacks of patience to do the job. Patience that I didn't have due to a trip abroad a few days later and I really needed a working phone asap. Love my Note II. Note 3 planned for my upgrade next month. Shouldn't ride with the darn thing especially considering the size, value, muggings, etc.

Edited by Stressed Eric

repeated the ride on Sunday, phone was in a bank bag, on the downhill I stuck it inside my removable sleeve. Not the best place to keep it. Worked perfectly though.

Edited by Stressed Eric

Galaxy Note 3 “premium” accidental damage warranty problem solved.

2 replacements in 24 months solves all my worries