Transbaviaans 2014

Garfield2010

[Dons flame retardent suit]

Unless 'stronger' means your in contention for a podium, why not just ride it as a long social and enjoy the ride with your fellow, albeit slower riders?

I suspect our team is going to have a similar dilemma - 2 are def stronger and fitter. I'm likely one of the weaker ones, but it's also kinda my team. So I'll just be reigning them back and reminding everyone we're hear to enjoy the experience, since none of us is likely to be able to win this thing.

[ .... awaiting the flames for my heratic suggestions]

We'll I am one of the weaker riders. The other 2 guys could go close to winning the race in my opinion.

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We'll I am one of the weaker riders. The other 2 guys could go close to winning the race in my opinion.

Ah well ... that's different .... nuff said. Hope you guys get sorted and all have a great ride.

Stupid .....or not so.....Question. We are a 2 girl team . If I understand it correct, the route is selfnavigating and with that I mean there is no route markers? So with two newbies doing the ride, what are our chances of getting lost in the dark?

Edited by Mads

Pretty difficult to get lost as you just stay on the road through the kloof... No real deviations as such

Thanks I heard of someone taking a wrong turn in a town somewhere?

as you come out the kloof you have to take a right turn onto the Never Ender and I suppose some people might go straight but there are usually other people and bike lights to follow. I am sure you girls will be fine.

Are you meaning in J Bay? Last did it 2011 and was pretty straightforward at the end but not sure if finish still the same

Thanks I heard of someone taking a wrong turn in a town somewhere?

I think you mean when you hit the tar before the neverender, get the dist to the turn after you get to the tar, and you should be fine. There were some chaps that carried on ahead of us last year, we shouted at them, but they were going too fast for us to catch them, they eventually passed us.

Here is the spot, I don't know how accurate th9e distance is though

post-2975-0-15571600-1402085957_thumb.jpg

Thank you. Got it. :)

turn right at 176km.........

turn right at 176 km....

turn.... :)

Edit : Seriously... that turn off is probably well marked as the R332 turn off so ifone make such a mental note..... it should work. I hope.

Edited by Mads

Yoh, if I may ask, who are you riding with because I only knoe of maybe 4 guys capable of doing that

Yoh, if I may ask, who are you riding with because I only knoe of maybe 4 guys capable of doing that

Stupid .....or not so.....Question. We are a 2 girl team . If I understand it correct, the route is selfnavigating and with that I mean there is no route markers? So with two newbies doing the ride, what are our chances of getting lost in the dark?

I've got an old Garmin you can borrow if worried Mads. It's not great, but it should do to check you're on track. Only issue is handlebar mount is a bit narrow for most MTB bars, but you can always stick it in pocket and just pull it out to check if unsure.

Edit: from what i've seen though, it looks pretty straightforward, so I reckon you should be fine. I may even not mount mine on bars for fear of it bouncing off. Prob also just stick it in pocket or pack.

Edited by walkerr

Q for those who've done it before - how long does the start window span out i.e what is the likely time for the last batch of riders away?

Also curious how the decide your start time - trying to get a rough handle on what our latest arrival in J-bay might be

Edit: just found the event schedule: says race cut-off in J-Bay is 10am. That implies a mass start if everyone gets thefull 24hrs, or am I missing something?

Edited by walkerr

Mass start at 10am, self seeding so make sure you get there early if you are racing. It wasn't too bad for us slowcoaches, except that we couldn't hear the briefing.

And it was bloody cold and I'd packed all my warm kit in my box for Bergplaas.

Edited by deanbean

How much does/did a 2 man entry cost compared to 4 man team?

We are a team of 4 but 2 riders are way stronger. I asked them if we could change it and they said:-

1. No at this stage as the race is overly full (not sure what they mean as we are not brining extra riders with and will still use 1 support vehicle for the 4 riders)

2. Maybe later if there is cancellations

3. If they do decide to allow us we will have to pay another entry fee

I then asked what happens if 2 guys just ride away from the other two and they said you will be stopped and forced to wait at all 6 checkpoints.

Has anyone else had a similar problem in the past?

Quite simple, it is a team event and you cannot leave the checkpoint without the rest of the team.

Re their admin, it sucks! Eco-bound are one of the most unhelpful or cooperative event organizers on the planet.

Pity as the route is aw some.