Transbaviaans 2014

Garfield2010

I see entries are open. They are asking R3,200 for a team of two and up to R3,800 for a team of 4. 450 teams allowed. So they entry fees should amount to between R1,5m - R1,7m.

What is included with the entry fee? It seems only the race and water points. The route is not marked and you need your own support vehicle.

Is this the going rate for a race of this nature. It will work you out around R7 per kilometre.

Any comments from the guys who have done it last year?

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Included: race, waterpoints.

Excluded: All transport costs, accommodation, food (other than the water points).

Did it in 2011 and once you add all the expenses at the end of the trip you get a real big shock....

Included: race, waterpoints.

Excluded: All transport costs, accommodation, food (other than the water points).

Did it in 2011 and once you add all the expenses at the end of the trip you get a real big shock....

How is the route? Is it worth it in your opinion? What is the main reason people do this race? Is it because you can then say you have done it or is the scenery and route actually the main lure? If you add all the costs for the total trip you can almost enter a stage race event.

Personally I will not do it again, it is a very long way go (from Pta) for a single day race. The route follows gravel roads, so not technical at all, the race is about the distance, I believe it used to be the longest single day race (before 361 and others). Now I prefer to save up and do one or two stage races each year. But the race sells out very quickly, so it is obviously popular...........

How is the route? Is it worth it in your opinion? What is the main reason people do this race? Is it because you can then say you have done it or is the scenery and route actually the main lure? If you add all the costs for the total trip you can almost enter a stage race event.

TB is a must do event. There are meals at check points. Really well organised. Beautiful scenery. Just a word of warning, TB is lile a drug, if you do one, you have to go back for more. For a 4 man team it is R1k each. That is your entry and en route meals . Then travelling and pre and post race accomodation.An expensive trip but all in all worth every cent. IMHO

Hopefully it will be my first one this year.

I hope so Mads. It is really a special ride. From the previous day in Willowmore. Until the Sunday in J/bay. Good friends are made

It's a great event & Wickus doesnt look like he's getting rich on it. For a mid-packer it's a serious but do-able challenge. The training must be taken seriously and the costs are much more than you've worked out so far! Apart from the distance; your biggest adversary is likely to bethe weather.

1)No relay........each person goes the full distance or you loose your team's "qualification" status. You will however be timed individually.

2)Entry fee has gone up while the event quality has taken a dive.

3)Still a good one to have under your belt.

4)Done 3 now including the "LangsBaviaans" route in 2011.

5)All logistics must be added to the entry fee, ie. accommodation and transport.

6)Could set you back by about R4k - all inclusive