Just to see ...

tazman

... what you guys and gals think of the following question.

WHO MAKES THE RIDE, THE "PROS" OR THE FUN RIDERS AND KIDS? smiley5.gif
tazman2006-09-01 22:26:49

I would say a good quality front bunch always adds to the credibilty of a race..

Fun-riders make the big races tho - eg Argus

Both and neither.  The pro's and the rest of the racing bunches are important but obviously have different objectives to the non-racing cyclists.  Both are perfectly capable of surving without the other.  Racing cyclists are less demanding regarding peripheral stuff like medals, goodie bags etc, and wuld have cheaper races if they weren't associated with mass participation type events.  Fun-riders/non-racers want nice medals, a smart t-shirt, free cooldrinks/beer/coke etc.  They tend to be more demanding on road closure and marshalling, with the racing cyclists tending to demand mainly that they be directed correctly and the lead vehicle manages potential traffic problems.

As for profit, there is very little to be made from bike racing in SA for anyone.  The mass participation events always cost more than they charge with the diference and management fees being made up by skinflint sponsors.

Well said both DR and linnega.

Big races won't be the same without the pro's as they do raise interest, adds excitement to the day and they're just plain good.smiley32.gif

...But try to imagine e.g. the Argus with ONLY pro's...smiley11.gifsmiley5.gif

No encouragement from a total stranger just because you are both suffering on the same hill and no laughing and joking just to make it a fun day.smiley19.gif Imagine opening the paper the Tuesday to only see hundreds of sub3 rider's names.smiley24.gif

It is because more and more people begin these races as fun riders and use these big events as their motivation that our sport grows each year.

So...to me - it is a balance of both!smiley20.gif

everyone makes it fun! from the events organisers, promotions people, authorities and all the riders!!

its like a big chain, without a link it breaks apart

Thanks for the responce, now for my next quest and this is especially for supercycling ...

Why then, as this forum has indicated, that the "Pros" get all the glory on TV where the funrider and KIDS don't? And don't with that cr@p about sponsorship as we, the funners and kids, PAY for the event.

tazman, tazman, tazman... It doesn't really matter. When they do show the pro's it's 45 seconds max (Maybe less)smiley24.gif... so whether they show fun riders or pro's there's not much to see anyway... Basically if the pro's are on and you blink, they're off again. They should have a SuperSport channel just for cycling (Like they have for the Football)... Screen the whole event from start to finish, all the races, the works!!! I wish smiley6.gif. Lotsa money... but not half as much as changing Jo'burg International to O.R Tambo International.

Agree with you Jason, especially about the coach story, Supersport take heed of these comments, I know you follow this site!!!!

PROS draw sponsorship to the event ... funriders give mileage to sponsors.

PROS take the prizemoney .... funriders donate to charity.

PROS set the race time ... funriders enjoy the ride.

PROS train harder ... funriders dont.

PROS always start the race ... funriders follow.

In summary ... both PROS and funriders make the RACE. Both compliments each other.