Aurasan 2014

Speed Racer

Hi there

Last year's ride from Nigel was to Greylingstad via Devon and Balfour - Out and back route. 1105 m of climbing with a proper climb between Balfour and Greylingstad.

Riding solo - normally we have wind from the NW, so be prepared to ride into the wind for the last 100km.;

Thanks. Not overly concerned about weather/road conditions in terms of riding solo - completed a 260km here last year, the last 140km of which were solo into a nasty combo of rolling hills and wind. Only issue for me is personal safety in terms of areas ridden through.

Edit: - I'd probably manage to stick with group to 1st or 2nd control depending on pace, but would err on caution beyond that and fall back to a pace I'm certain I can sustain. I guess if it's an out and back, that's not really relevant, since I'll be doing some of the stretches solo on way back if not on the outward leg anyhow.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks. Not overly concerned about weather/road conditions in terms of riding solo - completed a 260km here last year, the last 140km of which were solo into a nasty combo of rolling hills and wind. Only issue for me is personal safety in terms of areas ridden through.

Edit: - I'd probably manage to stick with group to 1st or 2nd control depending on pace, but would err on caution beyond that and fall back to a pace I'm certain I can sustain. I guess if it's an out and back, that's not really relevant, since I'll be doing some of the stretches solo on way back if not on the outward leg anyhow.

All SA roads are a safety risk, but on this route the road between Devon and Balfour can contain big trucks. There was a fatality on that stretch a year or 2 ago involving a truck if I remember correctly.

All SA roads are a safety risk, but on this route the road between Devon and Balfour can contain big trucks. There was a fatality on that stretch a year or 2 ago involving a truck if I remember correctly.

Agreed. We have that here too - in fact, one thing I noticed last weekend was that the route seemed noticeably quieter and felt safer traffic wise than our crowded roads here in Cape. Not so much thinking traffiuc and vehicles, as you say that's a risk you take anywhere in the world (i've never been as scared here as I was at times in Uk with traffic!).

My concern was more any bike jacking hotspots on the route. We have plenty here too, and there's always a risk anywhere. Difference is I'm more familiar with where the possible bad spots are here, so can avoid them

Agreed. We have that here too - in fact, one thing I noticed last weekend was that the route seemed noticeably quieter and felt safer traffic wise than our crowded roads here in Cape. Not so much thinking traffiuc and vehicles, as you say that's a risk you take anywhere in the world (i've never been as scared here as I was at times in Uk with traffic!).

My concern was more any bike jacking hotspots on the route. We have plenty here too, and there's always a risk anywhere. Difference is I'm more familiar with where the possible bad spots are here, so can avoid them

Not aware of any bike jacking spots. Let's see what the other Hubbers say!!

Not aware of any bike jacking spots. Let's see what the other Hubbers say!!

Great - thx.

Have pencilled that ride in my diary. Even a 200 BRM is still a week earlier pre-reg for PBP. All a mind game I know, but will make me mentally more committed and confident for the qualifiers themselves

After my mauling on the 600, and two weeks of training it's time to ride some distance again. Who's doing Sunday's Audax?

Watch the speed humps just after Tarlton!

Know them from the Dome2Dome Thx. I believe there are also ones at the bottom of Hekpoort?

Thanks, Rob. Good to know there are some more qualifying options for PBP.

There'll be a few hills, but on the plus side there'll also be a "slow group" to ride with at the back if you feel like taking it easy and aiming for the full value of the ride. That slow group may just consist of me of course!

The next event in the series that never ends will be held on Sun 18/5. The 200km event starts at 7am (100km starts at 730) from the Nigel Wimpy, and heads out to Greylingstad. Flat and fast, with a little climb out of Balfour. Great snacks provided at the church in Greylingstad again.

For details see: www.audaxsa.co.za

• 2 weeks later...

The next event in the series that never ends will be held on Sun 18/5. The 200km event starts at 7am (100km starts at 730) from the Nigel Wimpy, and heads out to Greylingstad. Flat and fast, with a little climb out of Balfour. Great snacks provided at the church in Greylingstad again.

For details see: www.audaxsa.co.za

See you at the start!

Very keen! Will be my 2nd one and think I may leave the mtb at home and bring some thin tyres to this one!

Archived