Aurasan 2014

Speed Racer

Would just like to check a point of protocol for the Jozy rides.

I have mudguards, but wasn't planning on fitting them for this ride. Figured a change of clothes at end of Leg 1 will be waiting, and truck stops aren't likely to care if we look a little grubby.

Don't want to make myself unpopular in a bunch though if you guys ride with them to keep the road spray on other riders down.

I feel uncomfortable answering a question like this, as I'm a less experienced randonneur. But I have never seen anyone with mudguards on an Audax, so I'm sure no one will be upset with you don't have mudguards. However, given the amount of rain we have been having in Joburg, if it continues, then mudguards will make your ride much more pleasant.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel uncomfortable answering a question like this, as I'm a less experienced randonneur. But I have never seen anyone with mudguards on an Audax, so I'm sure no one will be upset with you don't have mudguards. However, given the amount of rain we have been having in Joburg, if it continues, then mudguards will make your ride much more pleasant.

Agreed. It's more the hassle factor of bike assemble/disassemble with them. Figured with the 600 breaking down into a 350 then a 250, wet there's a change of clothes just over halfway anyway. In my experience, if it's really wet for long enough mudguards don't help much anyway. And if it's a light damping, I can probably survive to the Lido.

Just finished converting the GPX and KML files from the AudaxSA website for the 600km. If anyone wants the Garmin MapSource file, or individual GPX files I've stuck them here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2kpwsmwe20ptwyt/cLNIlXvApn

Note that the Waypoints for CPs are guesstimates - not all of the locations showed on my map.

See you all at 3am on the 21st (well those of you I don't see for a pre-ride beer in the bar on the evening of the 20th that is!)

I'm in for 200km, good luck to everyone having a go at 600km.

jcza, perhaps I should join u? Starts at 06h00 I think.

jcza, perhaps I should join u? Starts at 06h00 I think.

Yes please - we'll need your big engine to pull us home! Start at 6:00 from Lido

Yes please - we'll need your big engine to pull us home! Start at 6:00 from Lido

On the other hand, we can get a few others that are willing to ride faster and do the 600?

On the other hand, we can get a few others that are willing to ride faster and do the 600?

Keen to do a 600 but can't this time.

Eish, getting nervous about the 600.

I'm thinking about putting on wider tyres, that can be run at a lower pressure, for more comfort. Has anyone tried this? Does it make a worth while difference?

I'm thinking about putting on wider tyres, that can be run at a lower pressure, for more comfort. Has anyone tried this? Does it make a worth while difference?

Rode a 28 down to Durban last year. I honestly don't feel the difference between a 23, 25 and 28. I now stick to 23s. When I'm fatigued it feels like the added rolling resistance is slowing me down, so psychologically the skinnier tyres give me an edge ;-)

Registered and payed for the 200km next!should have atleast 3 friends joining me.really looking forward to it!

Out of curiousity how many guys ride the shorter distances with knobblys? Or is that plain stupid?

On my audax wheels I run Conti GP 4 seasons 28mm - a nice wide tyre, and not much weight penalty over GP4000s. The trouble here is you struggle to get a 28 other than a Gatorskin - I find them heavy, a bit slippy in the wet, and tough to get on and off without levers if they puncture. I heard from a buddy in UK that Conti are now making a GP4000s in 28mm, may well give that a try sometime.

Edit:

The other thing is go checkout Sheldon Browns pressure chart. If you're a lighter rider, you can get away with a lower pressure even on a 23mm. Even 5psi can make a big difference on comfort, As long as you stick safely within the curve for your weight, you shouldn't increase pinch flats

Rode a 28 down to Durban last year. I honestly don't feel the difference between a 23, 25 and 28. I now stick to 23s. When I'm fatigued it feels like the added rolling resistance is slowing me down, so psychologically the skinnier tyres give me an edge ;-)

What you're feeling is probably the weight penalty - especially if they were Gators which are heavier than a 23mm, and that feels a lot heavier on the wheels.

On my everyday wheels I run a 23mm tyre on a 23mm rim - creates a profile closer to a 25mm, and can run at the same lower pressure as 25mm but with no weight penalty

In fact a wider tyre has a lower rolling resistance than a narrow tyre. The trend now I'm hearing from overseas is road tubeless tyres with 25 or 28mm on. They roll faster and smoother, and the tubeless design has no weight penatly (sometimes even a reduced weight). My prediction is that the future of fast road wheels is carbon rims, tubeless, and light disc brakes to remvoe braking track overheat issues. It'll be a few years in the making, but once they've sold us all 27.5 MTBS and 11 speed drivechains they'll need something to lure us with ;)

Registered and payed for the 200km next!should have atleast 3 friends joining me.really looking forward to it!

Out of curiousity how many guys ride the shorter distances with knobblys? Or is that plain stupid?

Plenty of folks ride the DC on knobblys - if you're strong enough and confident, why not. If in doubt though, play safe.

If I'm not on my hardtail for these rides, I drop the pressure on my normal 23's to about 6 Bar for a more comfy ride. Works well for me!!!

Archived