Which Wheels? MTB Heavier Rider

WrightJnr

Hello all. I'm riding a Scott carbon hardtail and have endless issues breaking spokes on the back wheel. Time to change the wheels. Any suggestions under the R7k mark? Crest, XT or Crossride. Anything else? I'm on the heavy side, 100kg, half-marathon type racing.

Giant p xc 2 wheels, I rode them when I weighed 136kg's. You will find them for sale on the hub quite often. They're lightweight and will cost you approximately R2500 -R2800. You can use the standard hubs, no need to change them

Edited by Gerhard Odendaal

Arch hoops with Hope hubs IMHO. Get a decent wheel builder to lace them for you.

Get Dave Marshall to build your wheels. Lot of guys believe they ride around on JB wheels while back at the ranch. . . . .

dave@spokeandspanner.co.za

072 222 7185

Edited by Veonix

Arch hoops with Hope hubs IMHO. Get a decent wheel builder to lace them for you.

Good advice. Hope hubs can be converted to any axle configuration which will help in the future.

Easton EA 70xct. So far, bomb proof. Was weighing 100 - 104 when I got them. Almost a year later and they are still true. They weigh 1870g which is not bad either.

I weigh over 100kgs and have had issues with mavic hubs. In their defence when they have had issues they have all been sorted and even replaced at no cost to me. The full tubeless rims are awesome. I have been riding crosstrails.

Agree with the hope hub advice. Use them on my other bike with ztr arch rims and have not had issues with dt swiss spokes.

Get Dave Marshall to build your wheels. Lot of guys believe they ride around on JB wheels while back at the ranch. . . . .

dave@spokeandspanner.co.za

072 222 7185

Thanks for the thumbs up!

To the OP, whatever you choose make it 36 spokes and three spoke crosses.

If you never want to break a spoke again under normal riding - only one wheel Spinergy! www.spinergy.com . I carry these in stock along with XT but only 1 choice.

Go for something with a wider inner width as well. The i23 is a great, strong rim but doesnt come in 36 hole.

Also look at which spokes you are using... Have a look at the butting and the spoke tension. Choose spokes that have some flex like a standard 2mm/1.8mm/2mm dbl butted spoke will give you flex and rigidity if laced correctly.

Look if there are any option on a 36 hole straight pull wheel as well. This eliminates the potential weakness of the J bend but also makes spares and stuff less easy to borrow if youre stuck on a race.

If you go Stans look at the Flow rims. They are the all mountain version of the Arch and the Crest and because you shouldnt be worried about an extra couple of hundred grams they are definitely more rugged.

ZTR Flows with Hope hubs, fit them and forget them. I'm in your weight class and I approach downhills with more misplaced courage than talent. These wheels just do the job end of story!

36 hole is overkill. I was 130kg riding 32hole WTB i23...... never had to true. I'm a bit lighter now. Probably won't use any other wheel. And 2year later...... they still look good. After 200km and a few washes my ZTR's looked like krap.